Today I shall be riding a .................

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Wisper 905 eco

A guy I know has started stocking various ebikes.Im lucky enough to be able to drive there in my lunch hour and try them out.I might even buy one one day!I'll post my brief reports on each bike ridden.

My background, very wrong side of 40,over weight,excellent ability to previously avoid any form of exercise but have a stunning capacity for copious amount of Stella.

I rode the Wisper about four miles.I didnt realise the hills were there before when I drove the car.!The bike flattens out the not too steep hills just by pedaling but I resorted to the use of the throttle when the going got tougher.The bike seemed more than able to cope with my ample charms.I did find the weight on my hands was beginning to tell towards the end of my epic journey,maybe the " cruiser " style handle bars on some of the other bikes will suit my portly posture.After about 3 1/2 miles I decided that I'd peaked to early and decided to run back home on just pure throttle power.I hoped to of caught a glimpse of my doctor when I was out and mouth" see,I am getting some exercise at last " he wouldnt of known any difference.Ive read that the Wisper 905 is one of the more powerful bikes,in that case I feel sorry for the next unsuspecting vehicle.If I recover from my exploits today I may venture out again tomorrow.I notice that one of the bikes had panniers,great for shopping for Stella at the offie!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Bigbee, although from brief experience, these reports will be very useful.

I liked the TV comedy reference in the title too. :D

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ok thanks.You'll find my reports to be a) brief b) non technical as I havent a clue:) Maybe a new film? Fatman Rides Again ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok thanks.You'll find my reports to be a) brief b) non technical as I havent a clue:) Maybe a new film? Fatman Rides Again ?
That's all ideal. Most buyers aren't technical and a high proportion are somewhat weight challenged, so your impressions will be very relevant to them.

Though the reviews in A to B magazine and the like are useful for technical details, being done by very fit regular cyclists does make them less than relevant to the average buyer.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
That's all ideal. Most buyers aren't technical and a high proportion are somewhat weight challenged, so your impressions will be very relevant to them.

Though the reviews in A to B magazine and the like are useful for technical details, being done by very fit regular cyclists does make them less than relevant to the average buyer.
Totally agree with you Tony, me being the average buyer par excellence with my 10 km per day now telling myself that I am exercising. Cinstant mderate pedalling,mind you, So far keeping my weight down. And my smoking, which is no mean feat!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just been to GP and I have lost 10lb (not £££££)

so E biking works lol

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9

so E biking works lol
Just made it to the bathroom scales - (easier than the GP) and 10lbs is roughly what I'm down too - so yes it helps. Mind you If I'd lost as many lbs' as £'s from ebiking I'd be antimatter by now :D !

Phil

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007

so E biking works lol
A regular enjoyable exercise on an electric bike,is far better than having no exercise on a normal bike, that stays locked away in your shed for the next ten years.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Stella? LOL

Hey Bigbee

Great report on your test ride on the Wisper :cool:
But don't go drinking that Stella then riding a Wisper :eek:
I am a pint of lager girl myself but Stella! Love it but gives me a headache :D

I notice that one of the bikes had panniers,great for shopping for Stella at the offie!
So how many cans of lager can one carry on a Wisper or any electric bike for that matter? Without trailer cos thats cheating, lol

I haven't got panniers at mo but can fit a box of 12 (non stella) 440 ml in my back bag and 4 in my little rucksack! I need panniers! lol
I would like to clarify that they are not drunk in one night!
It's like how many people can you get in a telephone box, Ok maybe not :D

Happy testing Bigbee
Mandy

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Hi Big bee, I've got the Wisper 905se as Mandy has and a few others, LOVE IT TO BITS, very powerful, bought panniers today, which I think are essential or at least very useful for serious touring etc.
Also bought a mini pulsing halogen light from a cycle shop, it just wraps around the handlebar, is very small but very effective.
I'm sure your ample charms will become even more charming with exercise from an e bike! tony.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hey Bigbee

Great report on your test ride on the Wisper :cool:
But don't go drinking that Stella then riding a Wisper :eek:
I am a pint of lager girl myself but Stella! Love it but gives me a headache :D

Mandy

Mmmm.... when in France the other week we had a very nice long Sunday lunch in Le Touquet with plenty of drink and cycled back to the motorhome afterwards....I thought everyone did this? as I feel no apprehension or guilt at all with a bike unlike when in charge of a car:)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Mmmm.... when in France the other week we had a very nice long Sunday lunch in Le Touquet with plenty of drink and cycled back to the motorhome afterwards....I thought everyone did this? as I feel no apprehension or guilt at all with a bike unlike when in charge of a car:)
When in Rome eh....:D

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ive just had a twenty year old on a mountain bike!

Oooh,suit you sir..........;)

Today I was mostly riding........... A Powabyke 6 speed shopper!

Well,I was sort of looking forward to riding what is possibly the most established ebike on the market.A favourite of the pension run on a Tuesday to the Post Office.An Iconic free spirit for the silver haired.As I pushed it out of the door I thought " hmm,cant really feel the extra weight " Then I had to lift it over a step,I tugged on the handle bars," Jeez,now I can feel it,big old motor in that front wheel",I lifted by the saddle," Jeez,Ive found the SLA battery"

It was much colder today,with a sharp snap in the wind.Its pretty rural here and the road out side undulates.I was going to turn left out of the gate and up the hill.As I went to go a young man on a mountain bike passed me,Im only 47 for goodness sake,I shouldnt be seen on this in broad day light.He smiled at me as he rode up the hill on the pavement on the other side of the road.I waited for him to ride about 50 yards or so from me,by now he was standing up to pedal.I put the Shopper in pure power mode and set off pedalling also.Within minutes I was catching him up as we got almost to the brow he had to get off and start walking as I passed him.I did have to put some effort in but not that much.I journeyed on to the same place as yesterday to turn around and go back.Id been having a bit of jip with the gears and suddenly lost the ability to pedal.The crank was turning but it wasnt turning the back wheel.I wasnt in the mood to fiddle,I could only make it worse so I decided to return to base camp on throttle only.As I did I passed the young man again in the opposite direction,he was back on his bike and looked at me in puzzlement as I turned the pedals to look as it was effortless, which were in fact free wheeling.I went down a hill and turned around to come back up,then the power stopped.I couldnt get it to pedal or do nuffing,so I pushed it up the hill,humph!When I got back I put it on its stand and turned the wheel and moved the gears,damn things were engaging now! Also the power was working on the throttle once more.Maybe its pilot error and I think it deserves another run next week.I cant help wonder how some one smaller and weaker than me would cope if the bike fell over,Its darn heavy!
To summarise,does the job as long as your Geoff Capes grandparents.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
So how many cans of lager can one carry on a Wisper or any electric bike for that matter? Without trailer cos thats cheating, lol
I've managed to fit several bottles of wine in my panniers but they didn't like the weight much and are coming apart at the bottom. :(

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I can get 4 3ltr boxes of Chardonnay in my panniers! 2 in each one!

Might even bore a hall in the side of the pannier and poke the tap through:D
Possibly next year's Ching Challenge.. How many litres of booze can your e-bike carry over Exmoor? ( without resorting to guzzling any..until the end ) :eek:

Could even start a booze run on the bikes from the Loire:D

bw
musicbooks

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Yep I've done it on a normal mountain bike whilst in Cornwall on holiday.
Rode back from Landsend around 10 miles to Mousehole after drinking many beers :D
Only said it may not be a good idea on Stella?
After a few drinks and in control yes, but not after a skinful! :eek:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
When in Rome eh....:D
Wasn't it France? lol but I know what you mean :D
Mind you the French like their wine don't they and their onions too!
How many onions can you carry on an electric bike? PMSL! :D