Today my Helmet has saved me a Headache

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Re clothing: didn't Billy Connolly say "there's no such thing as the 'wrong' weather, just the wrong clothes"..
He obviously didn't suffer from Reynauds syndrome though.

I do, and it's the main reason I'm no longer cycling now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The rise of the machines? I wonder if we would be able to send our cars out to get some milk?
No need to wait in London now.

etify.co.uk deliver groceries 24/7 free of any delivery charge, no matter how small the order. They aim to be with you within one hour.

This link shows the usual one litre at a common supermarket price of 89p, and they'll deliver just that free, even in the middle of the night.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
He obviously didn't suffer from Reynauds syndrome though.

I do, and it's the main reason I'm no longer cycling now.
Reynaulds? Is that where your feet go white and numb with cold and take hours to warm up and itchy chilblains become a regular winter sufference? When no matter what you wear your time outside in the cold is severely limited?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Reynaulds? Is that where your feet go white and numb with cold and take hours to warm up and itchy chilblains become a regular winter sufference? When no matter what you wear your time outside in the cold is severely limited?
That's the one, but it's not just feet, it's all extremities and for me the hands suffer badly and it's very painful.

Originally when I was very young it would only be triggered at near to zero degrees, but as the years progressed that temperature has risen. Now it can be set off as high as 15 degrees C, so can occur over much of the year in England.

Nothing helps, I've tried every type of glove including electrically heated ones. If low temperature is sensed anywhere the circulation to the extremities is cut.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel sorry for the youth of today who may never experience the thrill of driving ..
It seems many don't want to now. The numbers of 17 to 19 year olds taking the driving test has dropped by 18% in the last decade, and those in their 20s by 10%.

Oddly that is also happening in the USA where the falls in young drivers are even more dramatic, as high as a third in some studies. There they've measured large increases in the young using public transport or alternative means, one study showing 26% increase.

It's not clear why this is, the varying periods of studies don't support any particular cause and it seems the young may just be turning off driving rather than it being the universal ambition it once was.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It seems many don't want to now. The numbers of 17 to 19 year olds taking the driving test has dropped by 18% in the last decade, and those in their 20s by 10%.

Oddly that is also happening in the USA where the falls in young drivers are even more dramatic, as high as a third in some studies. There they've measured large increases in the young using public transport or alternative means, one study showing 26% increase.

It's not clear why this is, the varying periods of studies don't support any particular cause and it seems the young may just be turning off driving rather than it being the universal ambition it once was.
I am not surprised.. looking at my own grandchildren they suffer congested roads, sky high insurance costs and compulsory black boxes to name but three.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am not surprised.. looking at my own grandchildren they suffer congested roads, sky high insurance costs and compulsory black boxes to name but three.
Maybe it's because there isn't an App for it. ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Maybe it's because there isn't an App for it. ;)
Actually there are several! Designed to be run when driving to monitor and correct bad driving.
The natural progression of this connected world will be having a chip built into your head which really will be the rise of the zombies.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
You'd then have to wear a metal helmet to protect the chip from bumps and static.
Perhaps not..
I read a lot of sf and a well used theme is of a connected population living in a virtual world where they can be and do anything, but existing as comatose lumps of flesh fed by a feeding tubes.
A bit far fetched you might cry...
The beginnings are already in the pipeline and the gamers and trollers (many already half catamose and locked in dark rooms ) will be the first to volunteer.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15077864/elon-musk-neuralink-brain-computer-interface-ai-cyborgs

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The beginnings are already in the pipeline and the gamers and trollers (many already half catamose and locked in dark rooms ) will be the first to volunteer.
I'd include the smartphone zombies who live from waking to sleeping with their face buried into the little screen.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'd include the smartphone zombies who live from waking to sleeping with their face buried into the little screen.
Can you imagine a heads up type diplay directly to your brain? No more wandering about looking down unaware of your suroundings as you will be a ble to stare blindly ahead, still unaware of your suroundings..
I wonder how the scooter theives would deal with that? Need a pretty big hammer to get at the hardware...

• :D
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015