Today my Helmet has saved me a Headache

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Helmet debate is rumbling on, and my view is, its up to you but I always wear one..
Its late morning and the ice has melted so off into own for a few errands that are much easier on a bike during Gridlock Friday. On the way back I use a shortcut cycle-way to miss 3 busy roundabouts.. OOPS!
This fall was so fast I couldn't protect myself and banged the side of my head as I came off so I have to consider that without a helmet this would have been a significant impact.
Ah well, I now have a sore Hip and shoulder and a minor headache, I had blurred vision, but that was only a lens popped out of my glasses.. Bike fared better with only a crack in the bar end mirror..
Please fell free to chuckle at the video..

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Not for chuckling at Gubs. Glad it wasn't more serious. I had my first slip on ice yesterday, but stayed upright.

I'm thinking bubble-wrap suit for me... :oops:

Gaz

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Now you know why I bought a trike :p

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

That was some ice! The road before that looked wet without ice. I would have done exactly the same as you.

The helmet debate is an interesting one because logic doesn't necessarily give you the right answer. We tend to base judgements on past experience, but you can get unusual circumstances that nobody would predict.

The snowboard helmets offer a lot more protection than cycle helmets, but what's more, they keep your head and ears warm, so they're worth wearing just for that. The safety is a bonus.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
Since my off a couple of months ago I always ware a helmet now ,glad your all ok and no damage to bike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have taken to wearing a helmet as sun protection: cooler than a cap with more airflow over my bald old head. Unfortunately doesn't work as well on the trike because as you are lying down the entry vents are in the wrong place! So I only wear a helmet on hot sunny days on the upright and 98% of the time on the trike (trikes roll over when pushed too hard...).

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Glad you are ok. Could have been much worse

I also wear a helmet . Always. I'm convinced I'd be a dead man from at least one of two major crashes in the past.

I wear snowboard in winter (I'm a baldy!) And a Bern peaked commuter in summer

It was sixsixone mtb that saved me (imho)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Glad you are ok. Could have been much worse

I also wear a helmet . Always. I'm convinced I'd be a dead man from at least one of two major crashes in the past.

I wear snowboard in winter (I'm a baldy!) And a Bern peaked commuter in summer

It was sixsixone mtb that saved me (imho)
I too am follically Challenged which is ok in summer but cold in winter.. People dont realize the problems we slapheads face, although tying a snowboard to ones head isnt the answer..

• :D
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I prefer not to wear one, and would be against legislation that forced everyone to wear one like Australia.

In the country where more people ride a bike than anywhere else, Holland, people agree with me and don't wear one.

However I think I am now in the minority in the UK where most other cyclist I see are now wearing them.

There is a fierce debate about how useful your standard cycle helmet is with some evidence suggesting that they offer very little protection against serious head injuries.

Some also suggest that car drivers pass cyclists wearing helmets closer than those without, and that cyclists who wear helmets take more risks than those without.

I am not sure about those arguments and would hope a cycle helmet would offer you a bit more protection than not wearing one, however I just prefer not to.

There is also evidence that in Australia when wearing a helmet was made compulsory a significant number of people stopped riding their bikes and many others were put off starting.

The number of cyclist was so reduced by the compulsory helmet law that it was theorized that more people would have stayed alive longer if it had not been introduced due to the health benefit of riding a bike that was being missed out on by the people that were put off in comparison to those that might have been saved by their helmets.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

My wife now makes me wear a helmet when I go skiing and I believe most ski travel insurance policies require you to wear one.

If I suddenly decided to buy a long travel suspension bike and throw myself at speed down as many challenging descents as I could find I would probably get myself a whole set of armour including a helmet.

Perhaps I am just an old hippy and the world has just changed around me!

Food for debate!

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
The snowboard helmets offer a lot more protection than cycle helmets, but what's more, they keep your head and ears warm, so they're worth wearing just for that.
Never thought about a snowboard helmet, but the last few mornings on my way to work have been bitter cold so I've been thinking about keeping warm. I don't tend to wear a helmet, but the idea of keeping my ears warm is quite appealing!

Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0632.JPG
;)

D

Deleted member 4366

There is a fierce debate about how useful your standard cycle helmet is with some evidence suggesting that they offer very little protection against serious head injuries.
Don't believe that rubbish. I went over the bars on my bike when it high-sided. I stoved in my Bell cycle helmet and the impact knocked me completely senseless. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been wearing a helmet during that crash, I wouldn't be writing this now.

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
I now wear a bmx helmet with an old army combat helmet cover that I had at the back of the garage. Much more protection and warmer at this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My wife had front wheel clip edge path and slideout, she end up with massive black eye, dazzed and damage to temple part of helmet. This was at 5-10km on sealed cycleway. I've no doubt her new CORRECTLY fitted helmet saved her from worst injury. Just falling sideways at low speed onto sealed surface is all that is needed for serious injury.

• Agree