Tonaro owners unite !

twain

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne, Aus
Wow, them Aussies sure are sensitive.

Actually i was trying to make a joke...

Incidentally, the kids at the local school always call it Spewksbury Primary. They'll be thrilled that the term has spread to Australia.

Bill
G’day Bill,

No offence was intended with my misnaming of your town. It was just for the devilment of it that I was using a bit of rhyming slang –and you know where we aussies got that from! And glad to hear that your local school kids have a good sense of humour too.

Oh, and while it’s a bit off topic, I believe that some of my ancestors came from your general area. They were potato farmers and had had been granted a land free-holding to grow potatoes just a little north of where our nation’s capital Canberra is now. Unfortunately, due to unfamiliarity with the climate and soil conditions this wasn’t a success at all; but they eked out a living by running a general store and providing a horse-changing station for the Cobb & Co stage coach that provided passenger services for travellers in New South Wales, (and also in Victoria & Queensland) before railways and even roads had been built.

Meanwhile, normal Tonaro discussions resume…

Cheers

[NoLongerRegistered#9756]

Mar 15, 2013
well i've joined the ranks of Tonaro - with a bighit

got a few questions but the first one is... can i retro-fit a throttle....[or i suppose]... how easy would it be to fit a throttle to it.

only managed to do a total of 10 miles on it so far so am not used to it yet (5 miles of rough dirt farm track... and 5 miles of hilly roads) - I really need to get out and have a proper cycle but at the moment i'm not sure if i'm using it correctly... I certainly got leg burn from going up a few hills?!?! - i'm somewhat nervous going round corners with all that weight – and need to upgrade the tyres i reckon.

just need to get a lock and hi-viz jacket before i start using it for my commute :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Congrats on your great choice of bike .....
Yes, you can easily ( I use that word loosely ) retro fit a throttle.

Its really just a matter of patience as you fish out the wires from inside the frame and connect it to the right one.
One of those fiddly jobs that can go easy peasy or tear your hair out, but, really its a straightforward job.

Good Luck ;)

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
excellent...ermmm.. any ideas of which wires

have seen this

(which slightly scared me)
Tonaro Big Hit, review and upgrade. | EVLAB

but they're a bit more handy than me when it comes to electrics

I see powerpedals sell them for £15 - guess for that price it's worth a fishing trip
He he.....I had forgotten how pretty they all are....my favourite is the red one...:p

If I was you I would just ring either Phil at Powerpedals or Cyclezee who have both had LOADSA fun fitting them......there again, you could just try the pretty red one......decisions decisions :eek:

Just remember red is LIVE though....probably safer to choose a different pretty colour....pity there isnt a purple one lol........

Last edited:

Mar 15, 2013
"You take the red pill: you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

hmmmm reckon i'll be making that call to the 'Operator':p

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
"You take the red pill: you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

hmmmm reckon i'll be making that call to the 'Operator':p
Eeeh....I dunno, here I am.....just trying to help out with the techie stuff whilst d8veh is busy playing with hatti's motor..........I think I will make a formal complaint to Tonaro over the seemingly total lack of purple wires....... when I am allowed out.........:D

alban

Pedelecer
May 25, 2011
Is that what your Tonaro wiring looks like or just a piccie from EVLabs?
The throttle is usually a 3 wire connector pos+signal (1-4V)+neg and just about any 3 wire throttle will do (the price from Powerpedals is OK) BUT it may be that there is a different arrangement with your BigHit. My old BigHit had the 3 wire connector but I can't see that on the pic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Usually these optional throttles just plug onto one of the existing three wire connectors, and only one of them is suitable, so no mistake possible. That's the case with some of the walk-alongside thumb throttles.

Mar 15, 2013
thanks for the info alban/flecc.

and yeah the photo is ripped from EVlabs.

reckon i'll go for a Powerpedals throttle - at least i know that it'll work (am all very new to this)

and excellent news about the 3 wire connector - that makes life a lot eaiser :)

next is cruise control ;)

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
I've never seen a Tonaro bike, so cannot compare it to my Woosh........this is the only electric bike that I have ridden. Perhaps in the future, there will be an event up here in Lancashire that I can get to, and try out all these other bikes.

We should start a Woosh owners group lol

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Indeed your Majesty, the tool you require is known in the street as a crochet grabberhook though I'm sure Funkylyn can give you the more proper technical term as defined by the venerable WRI (crochet division.) Of course for the working man a coathanger will generally do. The three wire connection should be in there somewhere, you jus fish her out, plug her in, an let the full whack of the fabled Tonaro Drive let rip! Take note, this is not a bike lesser men on haibikes would know how to handle, it needs a clenched fist, a steely glare and lots of teeth grit to tame this beast!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Take note, this is not a bike lesser men on haibikes would know how to handle, it needs a clenched fist, a steely glare and lots of teeth grit to tame this beast!
But don't be put off, none of these are necessary if you lay off the bottle. ;)

Mar 15, 2013
But don't be put off, none of these are necessary if you lay off the bottle. ;)
that, shouldn't be a problem... I'm a can man myself :)

coathanger here we come...... (best ask the Mrs. where they are... ;))

[runs off to bathroom mirror to check on 'steely glare' developments]

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
I hope that you will like and enjoy the bike in the same way as I have mine. If like myself you are never entirely content with bike or world, then there are numerous possibilities available to alter either. The Tonaro responds well to higher power levels making it both nippy and snappy offroad and it swoops quite well also.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I thought the Tonaro Owners were uniting to rebel against something .Like Johnny played by Marlon Brando in the 1953 Film `The Wild One `. He was asked what he was rebelling against and replied `what d`ya got `? I pictured Lynda leading the Tonaro Rebels terrorising the good Citizens of Ilminster with a knitted peaked cap set at a jaunty angle .Shame it`s only about a boring Survey !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I thought the Tonaro Owners were uniting to rebel against something .Like Johnny played by Marlon Brando in the 1953 Film `The Wild One `. He was asked what he was rebelling against and replied `what d`ya got `? I pictured Lynda leading the Tonaro Rebels terrorising the good Citizens of Ilminster with a knitted peaked cap set at a jaunty angle .Shame it`s only about a boring Survey !
Oh no.....I would hate to be a disappointment to you Roger.....but just to put your mind at rest I am always ready, at the drop of a bit of red wire, to demonstrate and terrorise when required.......:p

Mar 15, 2013
excellent...ermmm.. any ideas of which wires:p

have seen this

(which slightly scared me)
Tonaro Big Hit, review and upgrade. | EVLAB

well i spent the last hour fishing.... the 3 pin terminal was the last catch (typrical)

but now i'm stuck

I have the 3 pin - black green brown (behind the pink and yellow (this goes to the brake if you're intrested))

BUT

the throttle has red ,balck and white - anyone idea what connects to what (the throttle wires aren't in a connector block yet.)

HELP!! :(:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have the 3 pin - black green brown (behind the pink and yellow (this goes to the brake if you're intrested))

BUT

the throttle has red ,balck and white - anyone idea what connects to what (the throttle wires aren't in a connector block yet.)

HELP!! :(:confused:
Common convention would be:

Throttle red to bike brown

Throttle black to bike black

Throttle white to bike green

but as a further check before connecting if you have a meter, first make sure none of the loose bike wires are touching. Then switch on and check to see if you have 5 volts between the bike's brown and black wires in the connector with the brown being the positive. If you cant get the meter probes into the connector to do this, push a couple of pins into the socket pin positions to measure from them.

If you've got that 5 volts between brown and black and the brown is the positive, connect as I've shown above. If you find the 5 volts between another colour pair, connect the positive to the throttle red and the negative to the throttle black. The remaining colour will go to the throttle white.