tongshen tdz2 new bearings needed or adjustment?

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all my tongshen tdz2 250w fitted to Carrera subway has now done 3300 miles and the drive train is noisy.
checking the chain it is within wear limits, but I noticed there is about 2mm of movement if I grip the moter chainring at 9 &3 oclock back and forthDSCF1674.JPG
I thought it might be loose bolts or the moter locking ring , all is secure.

so its the drive side bearing which is worn , but I cannot see any obvious way of taking up any slack by looking at the face of moter housing, just 2 circlips.

cannot find any info on replacing bearings on tdz2 on google.

a new moter is £300 + I would have expected a longer life from tdz2 moter

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
motors do need new ballbearings.
3,300 miles: a bit on the low side but not very unusual.
If you are stuck, send it to us.

Reactions: oldtom

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks woosh I might have to send moter to yourselfs but as its heavy I would think postage would be expensive?

having had a look at the moter off the bike I notice it has csk30p stamped on the case, which is a bearing described as a freewheel or sprag clutch bearing 30x62x16mm, not sure if this is what is needed or how I get to the bearing on the tdz2?

or this bit states no ball bearingshttp://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2017-2s-mact

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thanks woosh I might have to send moter to yourselfs but as its heavy I would think postage would be expensive?

having had a look at the moter off the bike I notice it has csk30p stamped on the case, which is a bearing described as a freewheel or sprag clutch bearing 30x62x16mm, not sure if this is what is needed or how I get to the bearing on the tdz2?

or this bit states no ball bearingshttp://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2017-2s-mact
If we have the main gear in stock, we would simply use it because it save on labour. I know it would be more environmentally friendly to pull out the bearing and seat a new one but economically, replacing sub assemblies is cheaper for customers.
Listen carefully and try to feel where the movement comes from, it may not be caused by the sprag clutch bearing.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks woosh , I am not sure exacltly where the "play is" can only detect movement with chainring /spider attatched.
no transport so whats the best way of sending tdz2 to yourselves for
repair and who to contact by phone/email thank you

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi footpump,

I've seen the video, will check our TDZ2 tomorrow to see which part may be the cause of the problem.
I'll get back to you tomorrow.