Tongsheng TSDZ2 250w ... 36volt or 48volt?

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Hiya,

I am wishing to order a Tongsheng mid drive for my bike and was almost ready to order from PSWpower on Amazon, until finding Whoosh Bikes via some of the threads on here.

Noticing that Whoosh advertise the 250w kit as running with 48volts rather than 36volts, can anyone advise whether there is any benefit to the higher voltage?

Am guessing that the 48v will draw fewer Amps = less heat but am all ears to peoples experience also!

Thank you in advance,

Isla

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Yes, running at 48v reduces the current. The only benefit I am aware of for the 36v unit is it is capable of supplying power at a higher cadence than the 48v unit when using it with the open source firmware(huge thread on endless sphere). If you have no intention of flashing the firmware then it's ultimately personal choice (though the 36v unit can be flashed to run with 48v).

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Yes, running at 48v reduces the current. The only benefit I am aware of for the 36v unit is it is capable of supplying power at a higher cadence than the 48v unit when using it with the open source firmware(huge thread on endless sphere). If you have no intention of flashing the firmware then it's ultimately personal choice (though the 36v unit can be flashed to run with 48v).
Okay thank you for this. Am very much a laid back rider so am not too fussed about higher pedal cadence - am more interested in everything lasting longer i.e: range for weight of battery and reliability.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
What made you decide on that motor system? What are you going to use it for?
Hiya,

Mid drive as it is quite hilly where I live. Torque sensing as I enjoyed riding my friends Shimano Steps equipped bike.

My riding is mainly local journeys with the occasional 30+ mile leisure ride.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The reason I asked is because if that's you in your photo, you don't look very heavy, in which case the motor's torque shouldn't be a problem. The downside of the TSDZ2 is that they don't seem to be as reliable and dependable as other systems. Did you try any systems other than STEPS?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
48V is better.
Tongsheng make 36V 10A or 48V 10A.
The 48V gives 30% more torque.
I have bought and tested both before choosing the 48V.
I asked Tongsheng to make for me the 250W 48V. It's the same physical motor as those that have more Watts on their label.
One weak point about the TSDZ2 system is the blue gear which is the clutch between the motor and the primary reduction gear.
The TSDZ2's motor is smaller than the BBS01's motor. It spins twice as fast (4000RPM) to compensate for its smaller size. That may have been a contributing factor to the relatively weak blue gear.
It's not difficult to replace, there are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to do that but it's annoying.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
The reason I asked is because if that's you in your photo, you don't look very heavy, in which case the motor's torque shouldn't be a problem. The downside of the TSDZ2 is that they don't seem to be as reliable and dependable as other systems. Did you try any systems other than STEPS?
Yes, have had a quick go on a Bosch mid drive equipped cargo bike but that was on the flat unfortunately. It is me & am just over 13 stone in old money!

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
48V is better.
Tongsheng make 36V 10A or 48V 10A.
The 48V gives 30% more torque.
I have bought and tested both before choosing the 48V.
I asked Tongsheng to make for me the 250W 48V. It's the same physical motor as those that have more Watts on their label.
One weak point about the TSDZ2 system is the blue gear which is the clutch between the motor and the primary reduction gear.
The TSDZ2's motor is smaller than the BBS01's motor. It spins twice as fast (4000RPM) to compensate for its smaller size. That may have been a contributing factor to the relatively weak blue gear.
It's not difficult to replace, there are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to do that but it's annoying.
Hiya & thank you,

As much as I would like to commute occasionally (32 mile round trip), working 12 hour shifts makes it not so enjoyable so won't be pedalling too many miles!

Providing I don't put a heavy load on it too often, what kind of lifespan to you get from the nylon gear, and is that extra torque likely to wear it quicker?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
about 4000 miles. A new nylon gear costs £15.

Reactions: Swizz

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You should try a nice hub-motor bike, like a Wisper, Juicy, Volt or Oxygen.
about 4000 miles. A new nylon gear costs £15.
And how much to put it in?
It's not just the nylon gear though. If you do a forum or Google search for TSDZ2 problems, there are quite a few.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it takes about an hour and a little bit easier compared to replacing the white nylon gear on the BBS01. Both are just service parts for middle motors, whether 36V or 48V. We charge £50 for part and labour if you send your TSDZ2 in.
The TSDZ2 blue gear is a little smaller and less robust compared to the white nylon gear on the BBS01.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's not just the nylon gear though. If you do a forum or Google search for TSDZ2 problems, there are quite a few.
no more than BBS02 kits. The BBS01B is better but you are talking small percentages. I wouldn't sell them if I have to repair many of them.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The tdz2 is great if not abused use psw power [i do] if you want, but use woosh if you want uk legal spec with service and tech support at the end of the telephone
The 48 volt is the better unit the 36v is a bit like a hair drier have fitted both on the same bike as a back to back test

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
The tdz2 is great if not abused use psw power [i do] if you want, but use woosh if you want uk legal spec with service and tech support at the end of the telephone
The 48 volt is the better unit the 36v is a bit like a hair drier have fitted both on the same bike as a back to back test
Are your Tsdz2 units running stock firmware?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes have not got my head round the flashing process yet which is not to easy like the bafang
Have not run out of power yet [or needed] on factory setup at 15 amps [new 2020 model is 18 amps if the slow boat from china ever arrives ]
For more power fit a bbshd which is bullet proof the tsdz2 is near its limits ,for such a small package lighter and cheaper too
PS no connection to woosh other than the posts on here

Reactions: Pedant peddler

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
The 48 volt is the better unit the 36v is a bit like a hair drier have fitted both on the same bike as a back to
You should try a nice hub-motor bike, like a Wisper, Juicy, Volt or Oxygen.

Thank you - have read of the issue during boot up if your feet are on the pedals.

Have kind of committed now after purchasing a new wheelset, and everything have read anecdotally up to this point has steered me to mid drives with the hills around here.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Hiya & thank you - nice to hear from someone who has ridden both. Am a bit of a stickler for it being legal although I fully get that there is a big gulf between 500watts and what that AK fella does on youtube lol!