Tongsheng TSDZ2 250w ... 36volt or 48volt?

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Then the 48v from woosh is the legal option if he has any stock left
Am going to ask - just waiting for them to reply about wiring for lights now. Actually mess with oily stuff & wiring for a living so am not scared of taking one apart as such, but a less faff UK warranty when paying hundreds of £ is peace of mind!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Tried the lights not that impressed and extra wires still use battery lights
psw power cannot supply the same spec as woosh

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I have a good rear dynamo light off my old dutch bike & want to fit it with a decent dynamo led headlight.

What did you not like about it? The lights you fitted or was the power supplied not up to it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we have the light cables but prefer not to supply them because of the risk to the controller if the wires are tangled and accidentally shorted.
We advise customers to use USB rechargeable lights. The USB socket is fed by the main battery and is located under the VLCD5 screen.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
we have the light cables but prefer not to supply them because of the risk to the controller if the wires are tangled and accidentally shorted.
We advise customers to use USB rechargeable lights. The USB socket is fed by the main battery and is located under the VLCD5 screen.
Are you happy to supply the cables though? I much prefer permanently fixed lights to fit & forget. It was one of the things I loved about my old dutch bike. Am intending doing a decent job of the install & not just lashing it all together!

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Very limited current and a risk to the controller even tried a relay and high output led up to 70v in with a cree driver just hated the extra cables
IMG_20200614_183857.jpg

Reactions: Swizz

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Are you happy to supply the cables though? I much prefer permanently fixed lights to fit & forget.
If you want to fix and forget, connect the lights charging socket to the USB socket.

Andy Vickers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2020

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Because dynamo lights are designed to be permanently fixed - being bolted to the bike means they stay put & don't get casually removed by tea leaves.
I'm with you on fitted and wired lights. Wife's KTM eStreet has fitted lights and it's much nicer hitting a button on the controller to switch both on rather than my bike which has separate rechargeable lights.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I'm with you on fitted and wired lights. Wife's KTM eStreet has fitted lights and it's much nicer hitting a button on the controller to switch both on rather than my bike which has separate rechargeable lights.
Exactly that. Anything made for the Dutch usually comes with permanently fitted lights, lock & a rack. You don't unchain your average hatchback & clip lights on it every time you drive somewhere. I had an old Gazelle Dutchbike...got the t shirt...the Dutch know their stuff when it comes to using a bicycle!

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Biggest possible issue as already noted is the low current supply (though I'm still planning to fit 6v lights to my TSDZ2).
That's if it is a low current supply - Peter.Cs lights look like they were drawing a bit - would be nice to know what the supply is rated at.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The high current cree lights in the pic are powered via a relay that connects to the tsdz2 light cable then fused to the battery [also needs diode across the coil ]
Standard output <500ma it is not fused and unhappy at one 6 v led front light and one dim rear light , check out ebay for front and rear set ok in a city with street lights but no good in the dark

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
The high current cree lights in the pic are powered via a relay that connects to the tsdz2 light cable then fused to the battery [also needs diode across the coil ]
Standard output <500ma it is not fused and unhappy at one 6 v led front light and one dim rear light , check out ebay for front and rear set ok in a city with street lights but no good in the dark
Ah I see why using a relay is a good idea then...and looking at the voltage of ebike versions of lights, some stepdown required :/

JohnDaBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2020
Hi Swizz, I have simply used the lighting cable that came with my 48v TongSheng kit. The speed sensor had a "Y" dual socket so plugged the sensor into the one and the lighting cable into the other. Bought some low cost front & rear lights and it all works a treat . The VCLD5 provides DRL & full output all powered from the main battery. I only needed the lights for safety reasons and to assist on darker evenings, definitely NOT dark forest trails!! Lights cost me around £25 and I did add some extra support to strengthen the spade connectors on the front light and the push-fit connectors on the rear by applying some silicon sealant and insulation tape. I am not sure whether I should of added a fuse as I feel I have sufficiently strengthened the cabling to avoid potential shorting and risk damage to the controller. I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct my errors.