Help! tongsheng tsdz2 250w 36volt - terrible noises after 450Km

johncvg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2020
Newbie here so please be gentle ....

Converted my very standard road bike with the TSDZ2 and battery from pswpower around 6 weeks ago and delighted with the results.
But has got progressively noisier until now it is an embarrasment to ride...

The noise is only present when the motor is giving power -- when free wheeling or e.g. +25km it immediately stops ..
It is a howling grinding sound like metal against metal.

pswpower have offered to replace the part that is broken so I stripped the motor down today expecting to find loads of damaged parts and iron filings only to find ... nothing.. :(
I havent got a circlip pliers large enough to get the main cover plate off to see the large gear wheel/ sprag clutch but the motor, blue gear etc etc look all very clean and in good condition -- have only done 450kms on it.
My question is does anyone have an idea what is the source of the noise -- I suspect the "big gear" http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2017-2s-mact but have no experience of this to know for sure?
Is it normal for the electric motor to be quite stiff and jerky to turn by hand ( when disassembled from the housing ) ? I assume this is the magnets?
Any advice gratefully accepted..
Thanks

johncvg

Aug 1, 2020
Thanks for the info vfr400
So I guess can rule out the motor itself - looking more like the "big wheel" - will get a larger pair of circlip pliers Monday so I get a look at it

johncvg

Aug 1, 2020
I know forums aren't the best places to try and describe noises but to me the noise is mechanical.. it has gradually got worse from around 3 weeks ago ( bike is used daily) until now it really is loud - passerbys turn and stare as I go past!

It is a grinding sound and as mentioned only when the motor is driving/running/giving assistance - there is no loss of power or performance ( yet! until it goes bang I guess)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it a grinding noise or a an electrical growl that could be mistaken for grinding ?
Electrical growling is down to phase or hall sensor connections, so double check these connections to the internal controller.

JohnDaBike

Jun 6, 2020
Completed 250 miles on my TSDZ2 conversion and all is well, but I have read a number of threads reporting issues with TSDZ2. I'm interested to be well prepared for any eventually so could @Nealh guide me through how to check the connections of the phase or hall sensor on the internal controller? Point me to a few YT links?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have no experience of the TSDZ so others with them may be able to help.
There is a massive thread on ES(Endless sphere) if you have several days to read it.

We are only assuming what the OP has said as we have not seen/heard his motor under power.

johncvg

Aug 1, 2020
made a short vid of the noise .. you can hear that it is only while powering .. as soon as the pedalling stops the noise stops.
Am working my way thru the ES thread and nothing conclusive yet but some similar problems all relate to either of the sprag clutch bearings in the "blue gear" or the "big gear" ...

the link for the vid is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/th0ed975f6qbfls/noise.mp4?dl=0

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
made a short vid of the noise .. you can hear that it is only while powering .. as soon as the pedalling stops the noise stops.
Am working my way thru the ES thread and nothing conclusive yet but some similar problems all relate to either of the sprag clutch bearings in the "blue gear" or the "big gear" ...

the link for the vid is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/th0ed975f6qbfls/noise.mp4?dl=0
Crikey! It's nearly as noisy as a Bosch.

Reactions: JohnDaBike

johncvg

Aug 1, 2020
Sadly yes... more or less stuck as PSWPower say the will send what part is broken except I don't know what part is ..