Tongsheng TSDZ2 Build - This much I know - Part 1 - General

PGT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2022
Following my first mid motor bike conversion I thought I would give some feedback, via a number of posts, which hopefully will be useful to those thinking of doing something similar.

Some general advice as follows:

1. If you have the slightest doubt about your DIY skills, don’t do it - pay someone else. Do not believe for a moment anyone who suggests that a mid motor conversion is straightforward.

2. If you are “time poor”, don’t do it - pay someone else. It took me 10 days straight (I am retired) and there are people with the necessary skills out there whose prices, with hindsight, seem incredibly reasonable.

3. If you have delicate aesthetic sensibilities, don’t do it. IMHO even with the best attention to detail the completed conversion will not look pretty after it ends up covered in cable ties, shrink wrap and electrical tape.

4. If you chose to ignore the above then be prepared to take a hacksaw/ angle grinder/ drill to the bike frame and/or the motor kit components. Rather alarming on a shiny new bike.

5. If you are converting a new bike, as a consequence of no. 4, be prepared to wave goodbye to your warranty. In my case the bike shop was totally upfront with me and said they would not even service an ebike conversion due to the liability they might incur for any subsequent component failure. In truth fitting any sort of ebike conversion kit is going to invalidate your warranty.

6. Be prepared to recycle all existing components attached directly or indirectly to the bottom bracket of the donor bike. A surprisingly large bag full as it turns out.

7. It appears to be popular to get the kits directly/ indirectly from China but I chose to pay over the odds to get both the motor kit and battery from a UK supplier (https://custombuilt-ebikes.co.uk) who A) actually had them in stock and B) I could (and did) discuss the build or any other issues with. I do not regret that decision.

8. If possible purchase the conversion kit and battery before the donor bike in order to check that the bike is suitable. If you are proposing to use a down tube battery having it to hand allows you to check both the space it requires and the usability of the bike’s bottle cage fixings for mounting it. Also check where you you can make additional fixings into the frame using rivet nuts taking into consideration the space you will need to operate the required tools.

9. Factor in the cost of purchasing or borrowing additional bike/ workshop tools if you are not well supplied with them. If you are new to the term rivet nut (or rivnut) you need to do some googling and get in some practice with the correct tools before you start drilling holes in your bike frame.

10. Would I do it again? Having got this far up the learning curve I hope to do it much faster next time and I have just purchased another kit (with rack mount battery) and a step though frame bike to do something similar for my partner. However, when the swearing starts, just remember I told you “don’t do it”.

Part 2 will cover donor bike selection.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Hi @PGT - I'm just starting to read through your various posting on the TSDZ2 build and I think it is really good for someone to take the time and trouble to write down their experiences as it will inform others as whether to do their own conversion or not.
  • You're absolutely right about kit installation not being straight forward but how difficult it might be is very much down to the individual's skills.
  • I'm an electrical engineer by background and in my 60 years of cycling I've never had to take my bike in for repair - my grandad was a great teacher and set me 'on the path' to bike mechanics, so the four TSDZ2 kits I've installed have been mostly straight forward.
  • I would say that if as an individual you are confident in replacing a bottom bracket then that's a good indication of having the necessary skills.
  • So my approx timescales including cups of tea for my first build as best I recall (I converted a 1989 Dawes Galaxy)
    > Strip off front derailleur and cables then remove triple chainset and bottom bracket (BB) and cable guide- 45 mins
  • > install the motor into the BB shell and fix - 25 mins - it took quite a while as I chose to thread a piece of gear cable outer betwen the motor casing and BB shell - tricky but do-able for my bike frame. The gear cable outer is 'anchored' at each end by tie wraps and is a reasonable substitue for the removed proprietary gear cable guide.
  • My bottle battery fitted into existing bottle cage mounts so no rivnuts for me - 3 mins
  • So then the routing of cable hither and thither - making a neat job was time consuming but done within 30 mins
So I've got to say, a complete build in under two hours for me- my wife's TSDZ2 build took longer as she has a Rohloff. The longest build was on a freind's new bike and he had a downtube like yours (but no hydraulic brakes) and I had to grind await a little bit of superfical frame (I'll comment on this in your part 3).

But as you say, you do need some 'kit building skills' or a good friend!

Reactions: Jodel