TongSheng TSDZ2 v Bafang BBS02 - advice/help please...

steveybar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2020
OL129NY
TongSheng TSDZ2 v Bafang BBS02

I'm a newbie to the e-bike scene – I've just purchased a 2nd user Voodoo MTB to use as a donor bike, and I am now looking for advice please re a conversion kit.

I've already decided on a 48V 750W Mid Drive Motor Kit and I feel I have narrowed it down to two... the TongSheng TSDZ2 OR Bafang BBS02

Is there anyone here who can give advice re Pros and Cons of either or both of these?

Best wishes
Steve.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
How much human effort do you want to use ? the bbs02 has more grunt [25 amps] and very little effort is required, also various display options with more adjustments as standard and other after market goodies so more power- faster - but needs a battery with good cells
Tsdz2 the more human effort = more power supplied by the motor up to the cut out speed rides more like a normal bike cheaper overall to buy but less omph [15-18 amps] so not so hard on the battery
ps Which voodoo model

steveybar

Jul 17, 2020
OL129NY
Thanks for the prompt reply peter.c

This is one (there are many more ) of the things that I am having trouble with being an ebike newbie.

I re-member from school that Watts divided by Volts = Amps - so if both motors are 750 Watt and 48 Volts, they are both 15.6 Amp... ?

My donor MTB is an approx. 6 years old, Mens Voodo Hoodoo

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
watts on a motor is always a nominal figure. The real power depends on the volts and the amps that the controller will permit (and that the battery can deliver)

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The tsdz2 is a 750watt 15 amp motor but the bafang draws 25 amps at 48v the watt meter in the display shows >1200 w in short bursts but would be even higher if you used a 52v battery
I like the feel of the tsdz2 in normal use but for outright fun around the farm the bafang wins the torque is far higher at>120nIMG_20200821_182931688.jpg

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Amps an volts are what comes from the battery, not the power of the motor. The efficiency of the motor varies a lot depending on it's speed of rotation. You can take 70% as a rough approximation, so to calculate motor output power, you multiply amps x volts x 0.7.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
To build on what @peter.c has said, it really depends on what you want from the bike. The TSDZ measures the amount of torque you put through the pedals, and multiplies it (torque sensing). As a result, it still feels like a pushbike and you still get sweaty, you just go a lot faster.

By contrast, the BBS simply applies power whenever the pedals are turning, regardless of how much torque you're putting through them (cadence sensing). As a result, you get the same power from the motor regardless of how much effort you put in. You choose whether to get sweaty or not.

Regardless of which you get, I'd recommend a throttle.

The TSDZ is (arguably) the riskier option. It's a newer product with a more questionable reliability record.
The BBS has been around longer and more of the bugs have been ironed out.

You may also want to have a look on the ES forum as both models are popular over there...

steveybar

Jul 17, 2020
OL129NY
Thanks everyone for your advice etc - it's going to be the Bafang BBS due to my 'senior years' and fitness level.