Tongxin controller and cytronex battery connector

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
I feel another project coming on......

I know there's likely to be a Cytronex kit available later in the year, but in the meantime.....

Is the cytronex battery connector a widely available part or something that's only made for the cytronex system?

And what are the current best replacement / alternative to original controllers for Tongxin motors?

Thanks

spike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2008
BMS Battery universal controller swap for Tonxin controller

I use the sensor-less 250W controller from BMS Battery. The advantage is that I don't need the pedelec magnet connected and I get cruise control built in. Just hold down the throttle for ~6 seconds and it locks at that speed until the throttle is touched again. The downside is that it gives slightly more power than the rated 180W for the motor, but then so did the original Tongxin controller.

HTH

Spike

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Cytronex use these

Not cheap and I think there are better connector option unless you mean you want to use the Cytronex bottle battery ?

Regards

Jerry

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks Spike, I'll check that out. Must admit on my past DIY Tongxin I settled on pedelec with 3 level switch and I liked not having to hold throttle so this could be an alternative that limits wiring on Brompton.

Thanks Jerry, I'm thinking that the Cytronex battery could be a good way to go. The idea is that if I build up an e-brompton, I'll have my commute to work bike and I'm hoping my wife might take to it too. By which time maybe the Cytronex kit will be out, or I could do another conversion to our second Brompton or my other bike. If the batteries are the same then there's 2 available if I want to go on longer runs.

Having said all that I suspect if I lived near On-bike I'd have already tried, and probably bought, an Emotion Sport and left my wife to enjoy the car. I might still go that way. Being in Scotland makes it hard to try stuff out and I really want to feel the difference between the 2011 Panasonic system (with 2:1 max assist and support for higher cadence).