Tongxin Information

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks Jeremy, I think I feel as though I could fit a kit OK, but how much of a leap is it to getting separate motor, controller etc, even assuming that the right parts are chosen? This would be to keep costs to a minimum.

Do you think I would be able to follow wiring diagrams etc with only common sense and minimum experience of soldering etc. Or is this an impossible question?

Many thanks again.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
If you're prepared to give it a go, then I can't see why you couldn't just buy the individual parts and put them together. Controllers and motors are best bought as a pair, as that way you can be sure they are compatible and will most likely already have matching connectors.

Throttles are pretty much standard in terms of voltage and output, but often use differing types of connector, so you may need to do some decoding of wire colours to work out how to hook one up.

Batteries are straightforward, you can go for a ready made pack, either a specific cycle pack in a case, or something like a Ping LiFePO4 pack from eBay (which comes with a charger but needs putting into a bag or case). Alternatively you can make a pack from individual cells that you can customise to fit into whatever space on the bike you think might be best. The only essentials with these approaches is to use a fuse and isolating switch in the power feed.

Jeremy

cody

Just Joined
May 23, 2008
Is there anything going on with the group buy? I live in California. I've had a difficult time having Tongxin answer emails. I'm going to try calling next.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Cody,
I have had no response from Tongxin since I last emailed regarding group buying 10 days ago. Rather disappointing, but not unusual.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
tongxin dealership

Hi All.

I to have had no response from Diana Lin,I think this is the standard answer from Tongxin or any of there dealers I dont think I would now want to buy any kits or any bike with Tongxin parts fitted as there is no parts or back-up alfter you have purchaced
Come to think about it you cant even buy a kit in the fist place so you will not have to worry about them parts(unless you have already wasted your
good money on one.)

This firm makes the people at Loughborough look like saints(but I must say I only ever had good service from them)

A very disappointed JOHN

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not just Tongxin and nanomotor.co.uk, I've heard from others finding it impossible to contact the Alien motor chap now. Kit's seem quite problematic in this respect, either not represented as with BionX, or the representation very poor.

Only Heinzmann seem to have consistently dependable and knowledgable representation.

Last edited:

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
It is a bit frustrating.
I tried three times (2 x email, 1 x phone) to enquire about Ezee kits from current UK distributor and got no response.
By contrast I made several email queries to ebike.ca and received very detailed and helpful information back very quickly.
It would be great to have a UK based ebike.ca set up with a range of kit options.

Crawf

Just Joined
Aug 12, 2008
I am new to all of this but I am up for a kit (or 2) if a group purchase can be established. I contacted Diana yesterday before reading this forum and got a reply within minutes asking me to introduce myself (i.e. what's my business) with the usual - we don't supply personal purchases. I would have thought a positive response is more likely if whoever is leading on the group purchase when contacting Diana were to introduce themselves as a buyer for an organisation or club, when enquiring on minimum order quantity, price etc.

Having looked at the details on their website I am confident I can put that part of the build together. What are the options for brake switches and throttles and where can they be sourced? Is it possible to rig this with a simple push button switch for a throttle proving either half power or full power like the cytronex trek in this months AtoB?

Dave

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
I have now had invoice from Tongxin and am waiting for delivery will let every one know when they come JOHN

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I have now had invoice from Tongxin and am waiting for delivery will let every one know when they come JOHN
Been patiently waiting for some news as to whether John has managed to get any of the Tongxin kits.
Has anyone any information about this or is the group buy idea still a possibility? If anyone was able to organise it.

Last edited:

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
Tongxin delivery

Hi all.

I have been promised delivery of the Tongxin motor kits by the end of October

I will post a price as soon as I get them (I dont know what the customs are going to charge yet)

Regards JOHN

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Hi John, thanks for the update.

I may have missed it but what kits have your ordered?

24v/36v
Motor with wheel - sizes
Batteries
etc.

Also, i understand you can't price the kits yet but you doing any kind of reservations-pre-orders?

cheers

rob

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi all.

I will post a price as soon as I get them (I dont know what the customs are going to charge yet)

Regards JOHN
Hi, I am certainly very interested as well. It would be goof to know what you have on order. I have recently tried to order direct but with no luck :(

BM

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Hi all.

Regards JOHN
Hi John, once again I ask the question what will you be offering? keen to know as i want to purchase or arrange a group buy ASAP

thanks

rob

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
Hi all.
I have ordered all 36v 260/190 and 175 rpm I will E-mail every one as soon as they get to me which should be tomorrow.
Regard JOHN

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Spoke length

Anybody got any idea on the spoke length needed to fit the TongXin into a 700c rim? And if so, where the best places to get them are?

My local bike shop is happy to make up a wheel, just concerned that the correct spokes might be hard to source.

Also, while on the subject, presumably the TongXin controlled uses the standard type of hall effect throttle assembly and cutoff brake levers (is the standard push to make or push to break)?

As far as battery meter is concerned, guess I don't really need one but if I change my mind an Alien style meter could be hooked up I'm guessing?

Cheers, BM.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Obviously the exact length needed depends on your rim. I can tell you the approx length of mine when I get home. The chap who built mine into a wheel had no trouble getting them. I didn't ask where he got them from but I know SJS does a wide range of lengths which others have used for electric wheel builds.
My Tongxin-supplied throttles and brake cut-outs appeared identical in operation to those used by other manufacturers. The throttles have battery indicator lights built in.