Top Grades for Kalkhoff Electric Bikes

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Same with me flecc, I get into work take my jacket off and I'm ready to go. Althought its not quite an alternative to walking as there's no way I would walk 7.5 miles to work and back each day! It's an alternative to driving and I love it, so glad I made the change. My car hasn't been driven for 2 weeks now. Sadly I need it for family travels and the like or I would get rid.

C

Cyclezee

I'm also with Lemmy on vehicle functionality and always cycle in normal street clothing, no special cycling gear. Cycling to me is just an alternative to walking.
Except when you are test driving for Top Gear:cool:

J:) hn

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London

I think it has a lot more to do with the whole bike design not just accessories, this is a Panasonic bike which has a much more modern look which I believe appeals to the younger demographic.
This is the BH Emotion Sports Max + and will retail at £1900+VAT ish. Part of the 2010 season's bikes that BH are working on at the moment. At some stage I think they are doing a super light Carbon verson retailing around £7000 (I think) for those with very deep pockets (another bike to drool at). The new range should be in the shops in 4-6 weeks - although I gather these timing could be optimistic. Still it looks great and has 90% of what I am looking for (missing the Alfine hub but I will have to accept I cannot have everything).

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
2010 emotion range

This one above is carbon retailing at 2599 Euros

Below is the expensive one you were referring to.

This one has a nexus hub!

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
Panasonics

I'm hoping all the latest Panasonic bikes will be available for Presteigne, a great place to compare and contrast. I think I'm warming to the crank motors.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I'm hoping all the latest Panasonic bikes will be available for Presteigne, a great place to compare and contrast.

Shame but it doesn't look like they will be....thanks for the information but where are you getting it from?

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
looks like the difference between the expensive one and th one above its is the drop handlebars....they must be something special :D
As regards the cycle gear as my bike is for leisure use my wife said if you are spending that much money you have to look the part ! Actually..padded tights are very comfy and very warm......even if.........you do look semi plonker !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That 27G is a nice bike Scott, very tempting!

Minor correction needed on that webpage:

"Shimano's reliable precise SRAM 27 speed DualDrive system"

should have the word Shimano omitted. SRAM are a US rival of Shimano, originally the Sachs company of Germany.

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
Hi Scott,

It wasn't the quality I was referring to, just the overall design and how that may appeal to the younger market. I would agree with you that the Kalkhoff range is a very premium product with high class finishes and components.

Your analogy with BMW or Mercedes is fair, but even within their ranges they have cars aimed at at the 2 segments, practical and sporty for namesake. The 3 series 4 door versus the 2 door 3 series coupé for example. Exact same car spec. but a very different design statement. Some people would argue that removing half the doors and reducing head space in the rear then having the audacity to charge a premium for this is just ludicrous. Others would say the coupé is one of the most desirable cars in it's class.

The initial side comment at the start of this thread was just that it was a pitty Kalkhoff didn't have a 'coupé' in it's range. I think if it did that model could do very well commercially.

In the two local bike stores in Derby nearly 75% of the sales floor is aimed at the younger market with radical new frame designs each season, there must be a good return else they would surely just stick to the proven geometry and latest components.

I'll definitely give the Sport version a go at Presteigne.

A Kalkhoff MTB version would be a nice product too! The Swiss Flyer MTB is way too expensive!

Matt

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi Matt

Have you seen our new Sahel range of bikes? They are both a little more funkier, one is with a MTB style, one is a classic old school style.

Cheers

Scott
The Sahel also has some very tidy mudguards - Curana C- Lite Aluminium composite. The seatpost is good too - uses a parallelogram suspension system.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
That 27G is a nice bike Scott, very tempting!

Minor correction needed on that webpage:

"Shimano's reliable precise SRAM 27 speed DualDrive system"

should have the word Shimano omitted. SRAM are a US rival of Shimano, originally the Sachs company of Germany.
Thanks for that! Well spotted and now corrected.
Tim

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The Sahel also has some very tidy mudguards - Curana C- Lite Aluminium composite. The seatpost is good too - uses a parallelogram suspension system.

We've just found a video review for this model (in German) and embedded it in our reviews page. Turns out the Kalkhoff Sahel Pro Disc electric bike picked up several excellent reviews earlier this year in Germany while we weren't looking

aktivFahren video review of Sahel Pro Disc Alfine electric bike (you'll need to scroll down a little)

Have to say this model is fast-becoming one of my favourites in the range - all the technical excellence of the tried-and-tested Pro Connect Alfine, but in a more compact package, Big Apple tyres to mop up the bumps and the best seatpost suspension mechanism and saddle of any Kalkhoff. And we have single figures left for the rest of the year now we've dropped the price from £2195 to £1895. I'm telling you all this because I want them out on the road where they belong so that we can collect customer reviews and feedback for this model.

Last edited:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
We've just found a video review for this model (in German) and embedded it in our reviews page. Turns out the Kalkhoff Sahel Pro Disc electric bike picked up several excellent reviews earlier this year in Germany while we weren't looking

aktivFahren video review of Sahel Pro Disc Alfine electric bike (you'll need to scroll down a little)

Have to say this model is fast-becoming one of my favourites in the range - all the technical excellence of the tried-and-tested Pro Connect Alfine, but in a more compact package, Big Apple tyres to mop up the bumps and the best seatpost suspension mechanism and saddle of any Kalkhoff. And we have single figures left for the rest of the year now we've dropped the price from £2195 to £1895. I'm telling you all this because I want them out on the road where they belong so that we can collect customer reviews and feedback for this model.
Is it me, but don't they all look a bit.....odd !!