top speed

CRAZYNIGHT

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2011
On our traveller I am maxing out at about 20mph before I am peddling like an idiot. Is it likely that a bigger bike (one with 26" wheels) will have a better top speed or is the gearing on all electric bikes such that they will never keep up with a hybrid.

The answers to this might make me decide to buy a new ebike or convert my hybrid as I can peddle that over 20mph and am more restricted on my power than anything else.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess it's this one.

These type of folders are notoriously low geared due to the small road wheels and quite small chain wheel. A complete cure isn't possible without spending quite a lot on a very wide range gear system and frame modification, but changing the chain wheel to a much larger one can help a lot.

I have a big 60 tooth one on my 20" wheel bike for example. There's sometimes two ways of tackling this, a complete new one made up of the centre spider and chain ring which are a bit costly, or a larger chain ring bolted onto the side of the existing chain wheel. That last way looks as though it won't easily work on the Lifecycle Traveller model, due to it's chain wheel's three open arms.

CRAZYNIGHT

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks fleck you confirmed my thinking its a gearing issue, as it happens its a 52 tooth on the crank. I was not really asking how to impure the traveller as its the wifes bike what I am actually concerned about is are all ebikes the same? I don't want to buy a mountain sport, prorider or na other and find it has the same issue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The larger wheel ones often tend to be just a touch low geared as well to match the 15 mph assist speed limit. A good way to buy is to choose one that already has a spider so that just the chainring can be changed, keeping correction costs very low.

CRAZYNIGHT

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2011
The larger wheel ones often tend to be just a touch low geared as well to match the 15 mph assist speed limit. A good way to buy is to choose one that already has a spider so that just the chainring can be changed, keeping correction costs very low.
or convert my hybrid :eek:)

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
You can then join all the other loonies in the 50MPH club on here.

I can`t find a big enough hill close to home to get in.

Steve