Torn between these two brands...

lesjames

Just Joined
May 23, 2009
I am considering a new E Bike and am considering either a Kalkhoff with Vario or a Riese & Muller again with Vario. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How about a Wisper :D .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
R&M's ecargo bike is only 9k. I'll order a dozen, one can't have too many spare parts.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l've seen one of these on the road today, the rider wasn't hanging about on it and the front luggage compartment was full.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they had one of those prepped for sale when i got my canshake at the new ebike shop up the road but 9k fook that and was bright orange with a wood box built in to the front cargo space.

the bosch gen 4 motor only has 10nm more than my cx motor and you wont need a 300 ton Crain to pick it up.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I test rode the R&M Packster 40, which is the shortest of the R&M cargo range. Still a hell of a long bike, so considerations should be made on where its going to live when not in use.
If you've got a garage - Great, if you're three up in a flat, not so lol

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For Hobbit dwellings - I'd destroy this folding cargo bike quite rapidly, looks flimsy despite it's claimed 60kg capacity:

Convercyle €4,299.00

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ludicrous expensive bikes to do a bit of shopping or carrying a few lbs of stuff about when most use will be occasional for most.
A long tail will be a bit cheaper and a trailer considerably cheaper and easily stored.

With kona and trek no longer building long tails one has a couple of options still from Yuba and the expensive Surly. And there is an Italian nice little longtail as well.
The Italian offering of the Justlong from Bicicapace isn't too bad with very low CofG.

The Tern I haven't mentioned but don't trust then with a barge pole.

As Andy says one needs to think about storage access for these over size or longer bikes, for some they are or would be an ideal option to ditch the car. Going fwd's car ownership is going to become very expensive and for a lot of people unaffordable.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Trailers...

There is is a Carryfreedom on a certain site just now.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Trailers...

There is is a Carryfreedom on a certain site just now.
...and as usual, it has no delivery option and it's hundreds of miles away! A small CF sold for £215 plus £10 delivery the other day. I'm quite happy with my Homcom at the moment but if it underperforms or falls apart, I'll buy a CF in the winter when prices are generally lower.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Going fwd's car ownership is going to become very expensive and for a lot of people unaffordable.
If e-scooters are legalised, I expect to see cheap longboard cargo e-scooters appearing on virtual shopping shelves; cheaper to manufacture than cargo bikes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A escooter in the design of an 8 freight, that could work.
Personally I prefer the exercise version of an ebike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I nabbed a bargain when I paid £125 for my CF large, some three years or so ago.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On ebay the guy offering no P&P is lessening it's appeal and the chance of getting anywhere near £200, which nowadays appears to be the going rate for a good used one. They are so practical as a flat bed and one can easily strap a box on them, my one as documented has an even larger flat bed now. Not to carry more weight but simply better use for bulkier or larger items.

I suspect my 16 yo astra estate will be my last car so simply keep it plodding on with minor repairs if needed, last MOT it flew through.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On ebay the guy offering no P&P is lessening it's appeal and the chance of getting anywhere near £200, which nowadays appears to be the going rate for a good used one.
I've ranted at a few sellers of CFs and bikes not offering P&P, pointing out that they were missing out on UK-wide sales opportunities... but I suppose if they find a local buyer willing to collect and pay in cash or by cheque, they could pull the listing early and avoid ebay fees?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when i sold my santa cruz nomad i put it on ebay with pick up only and no one bid on it and when it ended got a msg saying will take the bike for 500 quid so no ebay fees and was local and would come get it asap and was gone the same day.

i also got my ebike from ebay but made the guy end the listing and gave him 100 quid to deliver it to me and was a 7 hr trip from Scotland in the back of his car.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
when i sold my santa cruz nomad i put it on ebay with pick up only and no one bid on it and when it ended got a msg saying will take the bike for 500 quid so no ebay fees and was local and would come get it asap and was gone the same day.

i also got my ebike from ebay but made the guy end the listing and gave him 100 quid to deliver it to me and was a 7 hr trip from Scotland in the back of his car.
Two great results! It makes zero sense for the seller of your bike to have made a round trip of 14+ hours for £100 - it's bonkers and if he'd said he'd be willing to do something so utterly insane on his listing in the first place, he'd surely have sold it for much more.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it was £3500 i bought the bike for plus the delivery fee of 100 i had to pay pal him first as could not afford the petrol lol so could have got scammed but he wanted the 3500 and no ebay fees.

it only had 160 miles on it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it was £3500 i bought the bike for plus the delivery fee of 100 i had to pay pal him first as could not afford the petrol lol so could have got scammed but he wanted the 3500 and no ebay fees.

it only had 160 miles on it.
Sounds like he wanted money fast! You got a good deal, 160 miles is nowt! I tried sending a Paypal offer message recently to bypass ebay, by ebay message, and it was blocked "Looks like you are trying to make a transaction outside of ebay", the message said lol. I could have negotiated by phone I'm sure, but then the item got sold.