Torque arms

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Frank good to know that there are some ready made ones easily available. Hopefully these will appear on ebay long term.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I came across those ones after I'd posted. Clever design isn't it - but a bit expensive!

The hard bit about making a torque arm is getting the oval 12x10 hole. Drilling other holes in it to put through bolts into the mudguard stay holes is relatively simple!

Frank

PS I hope the torque arm I made out of a piece off an old bulb planter is still doing it's job, Steve - or maybe you've upgraded it to something more sophisticated? Took me hours to make that!

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I came across those ones after I'd posted. Clever design isn't it - but a bit expensive!

The hard bit about making a torque arm is getting the oval 12x10 hole. Drilling other holes in it to put through bolts into the mudguard stay holes is relatively simple!

Frank

PS I hope the torque arm I made out of a piece off an old bulb planter is still doing it's job, Steve - or maybe you've upgraded it to something more sophisticated? Took me hours to make that!
Oh no, still working fine thanks Frank (as is the rest of the bike), I've not had cause to take the back wheel off yet (thanks to those Marathon Plus tyres :) ).... Have replaced 5 rear spokes in 5 months though :(. Design fault or should I get the toddler on a diet? ;)

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Oh no, still working fine thanks Frank (as is the rest of the bike), I've not had cause to take the back wheel off yet (thanks to those Marathon Plus tyres :) ).... Have replaced 5 rear spokes in 5 months though :(. Design fault or should I get the toddler on a diet? ;)

Good - you obviously managed to get the seat fixed up!

Spokes do seem to go on Wispers - I had to replace one after a couple of hundred miles - but five sounds like a bit of an epidemic. My wife was the main rider of ours and she is not very heavy so greater weight probably has been a factor in the in increased breakage rate!

If you need some more spokes and are going to be passing, I have a few spares of the right length which are no good to me now!