Total newbie looking to buy an eBike, want some advice on a model!

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
Yep, i'm very pleased with the two kits I bought from Yosepower UK (not Aliexpress and both delivered in 3 days). I bought one kit without a battery and share one on the basis that I can only ride one bike at once! :D
I effectively got two bikes kitted out for the price I would pay for one elsewhere. However, @Woosh makes some valid points. The over-long cables are a bit of a pain but I was able to overcome this with some "creative" routing without cutting them. It does help to hide them if your bike is black! The long motor cable is perhaps the worst part if you get a puncture. If you are of a practical nature and don't mind taking time over it a decent job is possible.
Product support is very good but it is email from China so not as good as a UK supplier.
It's too early to say how the good the battery is (bought in March and getting to nearly 600 miles between the two kits), but I'm not expecting too much bearing in mind the price.
Do you mind linking me your kit so I can take a look? I'm on the site now and something like this

https://www.yosepower.co.uk/products/e-bike-conversion-kit-36v250w-front-motor-36v15-6ah-hl-plus-batteryhttps://www.yosepower.co.uk/products/e-bike-conversion-kit-36v250w-front-motor-36v15-6ah-hl-plus-battery

looks great.

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
ebikebatteries.co.uk do also accept cheques.

But I fully understand if a lot of not long on the planet people have no idea what a 'cheque' is.
I asked for one and the bank wouldn't send me one as they are "Phasing them out for ages 20-35" Couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was almost like they were saying my age group doesn't use cheques enough so they wouldn't send me one!

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your link is doubled and only gets error 404. Here's the corrected link:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
You linked to a Yose front hub kit. I have no experience of those.

I bought a 28" wheel 250w. rear hub kit for cassette with battery:-
36V250W 27.5"/28" Rear E-Bike Conversion Kit for Cassette with 36V13Ah – YOSE POWER UK

I've since bought and fitted a more powerful 18amp Yose controller which also allows the throttle to be set to "full" (it's only "walk assist"with the 250w. kit controller):-
Slider for Hailong-I Battery / or with Integrated Controller – YOSE POWER UK

The other kit is a 26" wheel 350w rear hub kit for freewheel without battery:-
36V350W26"/27.5"/28" Rear E-Bike Conversion Kit for Freewheel – YOSE POWER UK

Of the two, the 350w. kit is more powerful and it accelerates quicker, but not by a huge amount more than the 250w kit fitted with the 18 amp controller. It also has a settable top speed up to 20mph (250w is fixed at 15.5 mph max.).
The 250w. seems to be better at climbing hills and Yose quote a higher torque figure (58nm. as opposed to 48nm).
Both hubs are clearly marked so if you want the peace of mind that comes with being fully street-legal, the 250w. kit is the one to go for.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
If you wanted a new electric bike, this seems reasonable (they are out of stock of the £799 version at the minute, maybe enquire about it) 48v should be quite powerful,768 wh battery is a good size
Difficult to derestrict though (think you would need a new display and / or controller) but I don't think you were bothered about that ?

Last edited:

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
You linked to a Yose front hub kit. I have no experience of those.

I bought a 28" wheel 250w. rear hub kit for cassette with battery:-
36V250W 27.5"/28" Rear E-Bike Conversion Kit for Cassette with 36V13Ah – YOSE POWER UK

I've since bought and fitted a more powerful 18amp Yose controller which also allows the throttle to be set to "full" (it's only "walk assist"with the 250w. kit controller):-
Slider for Hailong-I Battery / or with Integrated Controller – YOSE POWER UK

The other kit is a 26" wheel 350w rear hub kit for freewheel without battery:-
36V350W26"/27.5"/28" Rear E-Bike Conversion Kit for Freewheel – YOSE POWER UK

Of the two, the 350w. kit is more powerful and it accelerates quicker, but not by a huge amount more than the 250w kit fitted with the 18 amp controller. It also has a settable top speed up to 20mph (250w is fixed at 15.5 mph max.).
The 250w. seems to be better at climbing hills and Yose quote a higher torque figure (58nm. as opposed to 48nm).
Both hubs are clearly marked so if you want the peace of mind that comes with being fully street-legal, the 250w. kit is the one to go for.
That's brilliant, thanks for that. I will take a look at them, I do have a separate controller that I stumbled across and I have no Idea why I have it or if it's suitable, will post a picture of it if I can and a picture of my bike

Will just post what's in the box

IMG20230615183654.jpgIMG20230615183731.jpg

Just had a look at my bike and it's laughably unaccessible right now, but I've found what is the same one online, it says Apollo Transfer on it and looks like this.

Screenshot_2023-06-15-18-42-48-33_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Seems like a fairly cheap bike but it's a nice ride, although I have nothing more expensive to compare it to @Az.

Appears to be this

Although in a different colour way to the image I posted above

Hope that helps?

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
That controller has a higher wattage than the one that comes with the Yosepower 250w. kits, but the Yose controllers are Lishui brand and come with waterproof Julet connectors. You would have to identify all the wires and cut/solder them. Even then, it may not work with the Lishui C500 display (no brand on your controller's label?). Also, if you buy the Yose kits with the downtube battery they have the controller built into the battery holder. It's best to stick to Yose components if you buy their kits as they do come with a warranty.
That Apollo Transfer is a rather basic hybrid but it would be suitable for conversion. If yours has 3x6 gears it will be a freewheel fitting (not cassette) if you go for a rear hub kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 22a controller in the pic is a KT so the Lishui 500 display will not work, you need a KT lcd display the it will work. The KT is better then the Lishui and are so much easier to get hold of, Lishui are 99% OEM only.

With KT controller there is no need to cut any wires simply buy KT periferals that have the SM connectors and they are plug and play.

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
That controller has a higher wattage than the one that comes with the Yosepower 250w. kits, but the Yose controllers are Lishui brand and come with waterproof Julet connectors. You would have to identify all the wires and cut/solder them. Even then, it may not work with the Lishui C500 display (no brand on your controller's label?). Also, if you buy the Yose kits with the downtube battery they have the controller built into the battery holder. It's best to stick to Yose components if you buy their kits as they do come with a warranty.
That Apollo Transfer is a rather basic hybrid but it would be suitable for conversion. If yours has 3x6 gears it will be a freewheel fitting (not cassette) if you go for a rear hub kit.
Right, understood on all of that. Happy that I can covert it, it does the job and I can always upgrade to something else later down the line

Would you recommend a front or rear wheel?

People on this thread have explained the differences but it doesn't get me closer to a decision as it seems they both have pros and cons?

For basic paths, pavements and the odd incline, I'm not sure what would better suit me honestly.

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
The 22a controller in the pic is a KT so the Lishui 500 display will not work, you need a KT lcd display the it will work. The KT is better then the Lishui and are so much easier to get hold of, Lishui are 99% OEM only.

With KT controller there is no need to cut any wires simply buy KT periferals that have the SM connectors and they are plug and play.
Okay, so it seems it's worth it to use that controller and get a different display if I go for that conversion kit?

I think the Lishui is 7A with a max of 15, is there a point of diminishing returns with the same motor? Unsure where that point is?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you send to many amps to the motor winding and it cant cope with it that turns in to heat if you keep going the motor core will over heat and be de magnetised and kill it or also burn up the motor windings.

Reactions: Karliah

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Okay, so it seems it's worth it to use that controller and get a different display if I go for that conversion kit?

I think the Lishui is 7A with a max of 15, is there a point of diminishing returns with the same motor? Unsure where that point is?
I swapped the 7Ah/15Ah integrated controller in the Yose 250w. kit for the 9Ah/18Ah integrated controller that comes with their 350w. kits (available separately). This did give a noticeable improvement in torque and acceleration, but I did it mainly because the 250w kit throttle is "walk assist" only. Using the 18Ah controller I was able to set the throttle to "full" with the C500 display that came with the 250w. kit.
You may or may not think this is worthwhile (and it is strictly illegal) but I find the throttle useful when setting off at busy junctions, traffic lights etc. I found the performance of the 250w kit with the standard 15Ah controller perfectly adequate for my needs, but it really depends on what you want from your bike.
I don't jump over rocks or logs, or pretend that I'm in the Tour de France. I'm also not interested in messing about with loads of settings. I just like riding my bike for fun with a helpful little "push" when I need it. :D

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Looks like there is a good chance your bike can accept any kind of conversion. I suggest front or rear hub motor. No point to install mid drive on your Apollo.

I am glad to see you have abandoned idea of buying Chinese moped. Many of us have many decades of cycling experience and we know when we see a good deal. For example this bike is at good price:

Combined with conversion kit it would be above your budget, bit it is a proper MTB. Something to think of and/or keep an eye on as you can get it £100 cheaper from time to time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For basic paths, pavements and the odd incline, I'm not sure what would better suit me honestly.
Front motor would be fine for that basic usage, keeps it simple and your bike has the desired steel forks for a front motor.

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
Looks like there is a good chance your bike can accept any kind of conversion. I suggest front or rear hub motor. No point to install mid drive on your Apollo.

I am glad to see you have abandoned idea of buying Chinese moped. Many of us have many decades of cycling experience and we know when we see a good deal. For example this bike is at good price:

Combined with conversion kit it would be above your budget, bit it is a proper MTB. Something to think of and/or keep an eye on as you can get it £100 cheaper from time to time.
Yes, you will be pleased to know I have realised that there are better options than chinese moped, I know I have the flexibility of getting exactly what I need for probably half the price that the Shengmilo would have cost me.

Can I just query what @Cadence said, why would replacing the Integrated controller on the 250W for something with a higher amp output make it illegal? Is it just because it would push it above 15.5 MPH?

Also can i ask what is "Walk Assist Only" that would come with the 250W Kit? I'm perfectly happy with a kit that can get me to 15.5MPH (Without pedaling) and keep me there for an extended period of time, that's what I'm looking for currently after all the brilliant advice I've received, I can start off with that and in the future if I need something with a bit more go in it, I can upgrade.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also can i ask what is "Walk Assist Only" that would come with the 250W Kit?
It's throttle that only operates up to 4mph maximum, for use when walking the bike up any very steep hills you cannot climb, or to help you away from a standstill, aka Start Assist.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Also can i ask what is "Walk Assist Only"
Walk assist works for up to 6mph if I remember well. It is used when you want to walk, but you are not really keen on pushing your bike (up hill for example)

Edit: Throttle on converted bikes is legal for up to 15.5mph

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can I just query what @Cadence said, why would replacing the Integrated controller on the 250W for something with a higher amp output make it illegal?
Cadence didn't mean the higher amp rating made it illegal. He meant that the different controller allowed an independent fully operational throttle setting for all speeds up to 15.5 mph, which is illegal. The law says power only when pedalling, in other words motor assistance, not motorcycling.