Touching up (oo-er missus!)

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
My lovely Agattu has a scratch on its paint work :(

You guys must know a million great ways to touch it up. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking model enamel or brompton black touchup paint. But how can i get it looking shiny afterwards?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
T-cut or a metal polish like Brasso will get it shining, but it really needs the use of wet and dry paper to get the touching up level before that stage. Tricky if you haven't experience of doing that though.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
T-cut or a metal polish like Brasso will get it shining, but it really needs the use of wet and dry paper to get the touching up level before that stage. Tricky if you haven't experience of doing that though.

thanks Flecc, i thought you might say something like that... Is the general idea to add a layer, use wet and dry paper. Repeat until correct?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's it, repeat and then finish with T-cut or similar like metal polish.

Always use what you think is too fine a grade of wet and dry to avoid getting and score marks in the paint, the smoother the paper, the better, even if it does take longer.

Also, make sure the touch up paint isn't too thick as that makes a mound shape, and use the minimum possible to cover the scratch.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Good luck with fixing it!

I have to admit I did something more mundane the other day when I adjusted the propstand on one of my bikes and saw it had scraped some paint off the chainstay. I put a bit of black tape over it!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Apologies for resurrecting this thread. If anyones interested in getting rid of scuffs and scratches on their prized possesssion I tried some T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover - Black - @ £7.49 from Halfords. It removes surface scratches, blemishes and adds colour
It's not for perfectionists but it works. Very little effort required and while you can still see where the marks are you have to make a special effort to look. Beats black tape.