Tour De Presteigne 2010

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
Tour De Presteigne is now confirmed as 8-9 May. The website will be updated in the next few weeks. There is no racing this year instead there will be a "treasure hunt" type competition. Hopefully there will be lots of new bikes to see :D
For those that wish to see "what their bike can do" There will also be a long distance ride from England to the Welsh coast on Monday 10 May. About 65 miles with lots of great hills. If you are interested in taking part please email me on andy@tourdepresteigne.co.uk .
Please note that all bikes used in all the events must be road legal.

Andy

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Excellent news! We'd already booked accommodation in anticipation, so we're very glad you've decided to go ahead with it again.

We'll be there as usual with as many 2010 models as we can manage.
All the best,
Tim

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
No Racing? I thought the different levels of racing was what it was all about.......

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
No Racing? I thought the different levels of racing was what it was all about.......
No indeed not. The event was started by Pete who wanted to show the world that electric bikes had "come of age" and that they could be used as a practicle form of transport. It has been strange how the racing side has always been talked about so much more than the other events such. In fact if you look at last year less than 5% of the visitors even went to watch the racing.
From the emails we get the most enjoyed events were the country ride,the ghost ride and the exhibiton.
So really the event is about people comming and trying new bikes,joining in events,having a beer and chat together.
I think the best test of a bike will be the Monday "over the hill" ride.

Andy

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Battery test

I have emailed Andy to join the "two country 65 mile" ride on the Monday. It will be a good opportunity to test my battery range with all makes of bike in a social event.

I have a 10amp and a 14amp battery, both under a year old by May and both polymer, and will be using these.

I hope to borrow a third battery from OnBike for the ride so that I can ride the 65 miles at 15 miles an hour plus what ever I can add!

The distance will be manageable for others to use less battery power and more legs.

Looking forward to the ride and hope it attracts many cyclists.

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
When was the last time the Tour de Presteigne was mentioned in this thread?

Edit: Glad to see that all the extraneous stuff has been moved out!

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Folks,

Please keep this thread just about Presteigne 2010, i.e. news about the event, exhibitors etc..

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
Hi,

Sorry to have been lurking since just before Christmas but I only recently took up my role in marketing our new bikes and have been working flat out on issues such as trademarking, web site and the inevitable brochure. We have a range of bikes from a folder through to a tourer in the price range about £800 to about £1400 (tbc) with a focus on battery (stamina and power) and ease of maintenance. Would we be able to bring our range to Presteigne? What happens there, exactly?

I am new to the commercial side of the electric bike world although have some grey hairs from marketing similar products (including RIBs and music stands....) and understand the critical importance of brand, and of issues such as client support and warranty.

But we are new on the block and have to prove our products and Presteigne might just be an appropriate launch event - although our bikes are actually already for sale in the UK.

Thank you.

Bruce

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Is there somewhere nearby I can stay with my motorhome?

Bruce, at the beginning of this thread is the email address of the organiser? Any new bikes will be greeted with enthusiastic interest. You say your bikes are already available? any links? best on another thread or we will get shot. I remember your initial posts on here last year......

I haven't been yet but i think companies set up stands and people come and chat & try the bikes i fink

Tour de Presteigne - Electric Bike Rally UK

(just found this - it has details of camping/accommodation etc....)

Last edited:

Diesel City Tracker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2008
Cambridgeshire PE7 1
Is there somewhere nearby I can stay with my motorhome?

Hi, last year we stayed at Rockbridge Park
Discoyd, Presteigne, Powys, LD8 2NF
01547 560 300
It's a mile from the town, easy ride on the bike, but not the best walk in as there is no footpath and a narrow road. Plenty of others camping there as well going to the show.
Rob

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
65 miles?

Do I guess that most, if not all, who do the 65 mile ride have two or more batteries? My range is about 30 miles (on lowest assist level) but I don't have a spare battery (Bionx - far too expensive and for most of my cycling trips 30 is enough) but I don't fancy doing half the ride with no assistance (whilst the drag is quite low it is noticeable - especially in contrast to having assistance). Charging halfway doesn't seem practical -Ii think it takes at least 3 hrs.

How do others propose to do the 65 miles?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Previously I'd just started on a third battery to top 60 miles in a ride, carrying a spare battery in each pannier.

(eZee Quando based Q-bike)

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
range

I wonder if my range would increase much if I re-instated the 15.5mph speedlimit and/or if I 're=program' the system to reduce the amount of assist on the lowest level (this is set at about 35% and I think settings can be cahnged to reduce this). Bionx quote a range of 62 Miles (!) - although presumably this is in perfect conditions (or downhill!)

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I am in two minds as to how to tackle this. I have four batteries for my Torq, which I think would be ample, however this would not be very challenging for me.

I'm leaning towards two batteries for my Cytronex, which will be enough if I'm frugal. However my OH has agreed to do it with me, and will also require two batteries, but currently I only have three in total.

So - do I buy another Cytronex battery or beg,steal or borrow one from Mark?

On another note, I had a problem with my pedal sensor very recently. I 'phoned Mark on (good)Friday afternoon and he responded and resolved the following morning. How's that for service?

......and I'm very glad I live quite close to Winchester

Nick

Last edited:

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Does anybody have spare seat please

Hi all just wondered if anyone going who has spare seat, for an oldie, i am willing to share costs, tried to go last year but unsuccsesful if ok i would need to find accomodation. thanks.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Presteigne 2010

hi, i live in kent but i could make my way to you if all ok thanks
Geoff

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
...don't think that's 'gonna work Geoff...I live near Leeds...I'm further away than you.

.....Mike

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Presteigne 2010 seat

Hi Mike thanks , as you say wrong direction, will wait see if any other offers come up.

Geoff