Tour de presteigne - anyone go?

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Did anyone from the forum go? Did you get to see and/or test ride anything exciting?, Any news?, Any photos?

I guess I was expecting a flurry of posts after the event but it's all been a bit quiet...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
there is a sticky thread at top and David from wisper loaded some pics...But yes I was awaiting some test reports as well:)

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
there is a sticky thread at top and David from wisper loaded some pics...But yes I was awaiting some test reports as well:)
Just back and loaded my pics and video after a good day along the Elan Valley....the Gruber assist was quite surprising..I will try and pen my review once recovered from a very busy weekend.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Usually there are loads of posts on prestigne,it seems very quiet this year,maybe we are all happy with our present bikes and no longer need to go,that really is true for me there is nothing available at the moment,that would be better than my torq 2.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Usually there are loads of posts on prestigne,it seems very quiet this year,
It's fully run by the trade this year and there was no race, so it's character has changed quite a bit, becoming
more of a bike show. I think these affect the degree of enthusiasm.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Trade

Hi Flecc

I don't think the trade had much to do with running the event this year, at least Wisper didn't.

The On Bike guys have always organised the event and after year two decided to open their shops, so yes on that basis you could say it is organised by the trade.

I understand that the race element had to be stopped because of insane insurance costs.

This year's event was brilliantly organised with many more trade stalls there than last. In fact nearly all the manufacturers and main dealers were there supporting the event with the exception of the likes of Giant, Raleigh etc who these days don't even support the big London events. The usual stalls were there promoting wind energy etc and those with an interest in electric bikes who attended the event would have to agree that it was the best Presteigne to date.

The big problem with Presteigne is the difficulty in getting to the area, Douglas (my business partner) came from the New Forest by train and bus and it took him nearly nine hours!

BEBA are in talks now with the Presteigne guys to try and arrange a London event next year as an alternative venue maybe to run along side the main event in Wales, this will be discussed at the BEBA open meeting in London today. Talking of which we have representatives from fourteen manufacturers, importers and dealers attending so at last we seem to be moving forward.

All the best

David

androo4519

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2009
Presteigne - Where?

>The big problem with Presteigne is the difficulty in getting to the area, Douglas (my business partner) came from the New Forest by train and bus and it took him nearly nine hours!

Exactly my problem. No idea where Presteigne is even, but I do know one thing: to get there I'd have to drive. But I don't drive, which is why I'm interested in electric bikes... Hmmm.

androo4519

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2009
>BEBA are in talks now with the Presteigne guys to try and arrange a London event next year

Oh, not London! Hold it up here in Yorkshire then we can see how these bikes handle some proper hills. Why does everything have to be in London?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I agree Prestigne is just to isolated, I live in London so would welcome a London show...But!

There are a large number of open air motorhome shows throughout the country during the year. Stratford, Peterborough, York, Newbury and others including the bigee at the NEC Birmingham. Would it be an idea to pick on of these, and see if you could add on an electric bike section. you would automatically get interest from the motorhome fraternity.... Sooo for instance the "Stratford motorhome and Electric transport/bike show"

whether the show organisers would go for this who knows....but to give over a section to e bikes would not be difficult and they must have a few less exhibitors due to the recession,

I am aware that individual e bike retailers already exhibit at these shows....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh, not London! Hold it up here in Yorkshire then we can see how these bikes handle some proper hills. Why does everything have to be in London?
Come off it, everything in London?

We've lost many if not most major events to the NEC in Birmingham and have never had much in the way of cycling events. In contrast, York has been a cycling centre for years and many cycling events have been and are held there, those that aren't often being at Leeds, also in Yorkshire of course.

About time we in London took some cycling related events from you! After all, nearly a third of England lives in the South East.

(And we have some pretty good hills too.)

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi why dont you talk to Brighton council maybe you could get madeira drive where a lot of other events are held. Also there are quite a few electric bikes round here i have seen 4 in last 8 days also good transport links to London and south coast

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Brooklands Race Track - perfect location
Use Brooklands Museum's excellent facilities and spend the day with ebikes, plus aircraft and cars.

Colin

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Birmingham is the natural place to hold it is after all in the centre of the country,has excellent transport links and there are some stiff climbs available in some areas,oh and just by coincidence i would not have far to travel.

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
A show in london? what will that cost more than twice as much I bet.
A show at an established event with thousands of people milling about, .....what chance of a test ride then, how many bikes would come back to the dealers with all those caravans and trailers about.
I've been visiting the British Hanggliding and Paragliding show for years, it used to be held at Telford, about 5 years ago it moved to the NEC as part of a major leisure show, cost went up, the feel changed instantly, no more bumping into old friends and half the distributors took one look at the charges and pulled out.
Big shows, great for the trade, but for punters no!
The feel of the Prestigne show, the availability of test rides and all that goes with it is due in part to the location, small town, safe for dealers and visitors, little traffic, a hill, limited numbers.........
If a good location could be found it could work, in any part of the country.
Pick a spot near say the M1, with a nearby train station, but prefferably some where rural, any one know of a friendly little spot where you wont get any light fingered chaffs?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Did anyone from the forum go?
Yes I went from West Yorkshire ...stopped at Gigrin on the way to take some pictures of the red kites....what a spectacle !!!

Looking to buy a new bike this summer.

On arrival at Presteiegn I bumped into David and got to ride a new Wisper,
...very nice but can't justify two and a half K.

Tried a bike badged "Oxygen" on the Kalcoff stand..similar ride to the Wisper...but a lot cheaper....quite liked that.

Still fancying the top Urban mover when available...talking £1200 in June / July
...If I could find that a bit cheaper I think It'd be my choice.

.....Mike

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Tried a bike badged "Oxygen" on the Kalcoff stand..similar ride to the Wisper...but a lot cheaper....quite liked that.

.....Mike
Hi Mike, more to follow on that model. I've not had a spare minute to put it up on the website yet.

Very nice bike, the first full-sized throttle assist bike we've had since eZee, with a 37V 13Ah Lithium Polymer pack powering the 250W rear-mounted Bafang. 7-speed cassette. Range is around 40-50 miles. We'll be pricing it around £1295 to start with.

There'll be a permanent demonstrator anyone can try in London soon.