Touring: battery charging questions

Naileddownslug

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2015
RobF
Haven't worked out a route yet. I'm aiming for Stockton-on-Tees. I got the overall 280 trip length using the bike route option in Google Maps. I have friends who live a few miles south of York. If all goes to plan i would stay with them on the third night. The last day would then probably be York-Thirsk-Northallerton-Stockton.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Another expensive option to improve things is to get a GPS device to help with route planning. I have recently acquired a Garmin Edge 1000 and it does make following a route a doddle once you get the settings sorted. You can either plan in advance using something like http://ridewithgps.com/ or the device will plan its own routes avoiding whatever you tell it too such as major highways. Taken me a few trips to get the best out of it but delighted now. That would give you an extra two hours a day to sit in the cafe/pub while your battery charges up!

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need a Garmin. A normal Android phone can do all your route planning and navigation. Probably an iphone can do it too, but maybe not as well.

Reactions: rippedupno1

Naileddownslug

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2015
Another expensive option to improve things is to get a GPS device to help with route planning. I have recently acquired a Garmin Edge 1000 and it does make following a route a doddle once you get the settings sorted. You can either plan in advance using something like http://ridewithgps.com/ or the device will plan its own routes avoiding whatever you tell it too such as major highways. Taken me a few trips to get the best out of it but delighted now. That would give you an extra two hours a day to sit in the cafe/pub while your battery charges up!
Yes, that thought had occurred to me, I haven't yet looked at bike specific GPS systems, but plan to.

Reactions: 4bound

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF
Haven't worked out a route yet. I'm aiming for Stockton-on-Tees. I got the overall 280 trip length using the bike route option in Google Maps. I have friends who live a few miles south of York. If all goes to plan i would stay with them on the third night. The last day would then probably be York-Thirsk-Northallerton-Stockton.
In short, I think you about have it.

I'm doing a ride from York to Sunderland for the second time on Saturday with a group who have been many times before.

Their route pretty much follows the google maps cycling one.

Leave York on the east bank of the Ouse, then track north through the villages to Thirsk.

Not much alternative to a fairly busy A road from Thirsk to Northallerton.

From Northallerton it's mostly minor roads again through the likes of Brompton and Appleton Wiske, before dropping down to Yarm, then just a few miles to Stockton.

An awful lot of turns to follow, so that will certainly be a 'two hours stopped at junctions route finding' day.

On the plus side, it's dead flat and you will benefit if any wind is from the prevailing direction of the south west.

I hesitate to venture you could do it on one full charge, but an hour or so charging at lunch should be all the top up you need.

We will stop at Northallerton for lunch, almost certainly taken outside.

Plenty of choice as you may know, although the simplest way of getting water was a bargain crate of bottled from Morrisons.

Riding solo, you might be as well off in a village pub.

My comment there would be if you see somewhere likely, take it.

A lot of the villages no longer have a shop, let alone a pub.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Yes, that thought had occurred to me, I haven't yet looked at bike specific GPS systems, but plan to.
Take care before you make your choice. I had a Garmin Edge 800 before, never really got it to work properly - it was great at telling me where I was, but not good at telling where to go next! I'm sure it could have if I was operating it correctly but not at all intuitive. The 1000 is a different beast. If you do buy one let me know and I can pass on some tips from what I have learned.

Last edited:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I'm thinking of doing a 280 mile trip from the South East back to my family home town in the North East at some point over the summer. I'd like to do it over 4 days, 70 miles per day. I'd overnight with friends or at hotels along the way, so would be traveling very light, probably with just a rack bag.

The problem is that my 612Wh battery seems to give me perhaps a 50 mile range if I ration the power carefully, spending most of my time in economy mode. So I'm thinking about getting top up charges each day. I envisage stopping for lunch at a pub and charging the battery for an hour while I eat and rest, then doing the same again a couple of hours later. The battery is easily removable from the bike.

Has anyone tried this? Have you had any problems or were pub/cafe owners happy to oblige? (I'd ask permission first off course).

Second question. My bike is a Kalkhoff. The battery can be charged off the bike via a cradle, alternatively the charging lead can be plugged directly into the battery while it's on the bike. Can I plug the charging lead directly into the battery while it's off the bike, thereby dispensing with the cradle? Or is this dangerous in some way? Obviously I'd rather not have to carry the cradle around if I didn't need to.

Naileddownslug, I'm amazed no-one has asked this question before. I've also been wondering what the best thing to do would be for long distance/several day trips. I agree with taking your charger in minus the battery to ask as described by the other poster (sorry forgotten name).

My only concern would be that with my own battery - I let mine cool down after riding it, before recharging. ie I never put it directly back on charge as soon as I return home. I can't remember if that was in the handbook that came with my bike or advice given on this forum. Do you have to let your battery cool down first? That would add to your 'recharge' time if so.

I would have ready facts/figures to quote about charging costs "it only costs 5p to charge a full battery and I wont be in here long enough to fully charge it" for instance. Best said before a possible young staff member goes off to ask their busy boss, perhaps?

Let us know how you get on with your trip and charging - I'll be really interested, especially with your ability to charge your battery as its something I'd like to do too.

On another topic, does it matter if your motor/battery gets soaked in rainy weather? I'm still unclear as to whether mine can get wet or not.

Good luck.
Penny

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I've not tried charging an ebike battery in the manner you suggest, but have charged my laptop in various pubs and cafes.

Never had a problem.

Last time was in a Starbucks which had a twin socket just above the table.

That must be for customers who want to charge devices.
This is a great tip. Thanks.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I charged up a Bosch batteriy in a bar/restaurant in Italy last summer, The staff were a bit surprised, but helpful. The power point was not very convenient, but not too far away. As long as you spend at least a fiver or so, there is unlikely to be a problem. The only downside is the time it takes.
This is really useful info. I've also been considering taking my bike to Italy or hiring one out there. Ebikes are more and more visible in Italy now. How did yours charge with the European pin converter? Or did you already have one with a European plug on it?

C

Cyclezee

This may sound obvious, when you are touring with an electric bike, don't forget your battery charger.

One of our customers did just that a couple of years ago on a trip sur le continent:( It wasn't a complete disaster however as a relative sent the charger by courier:)

Reactions: jonathan75

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is really useful info. I've also been considering taking my bike to Italy or hiring one out there. Ebikes are more and more visible in Italy now. How did yours charge with the European pin converter? Or did you already have one with a European plug on it?
Hire one there. For obvious "on holiday in Italy" reasons...

Tony

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I've thought quite a bit about this kind of question too and have come to the conclusion that taking my own bike but insuring it (cycleguard do annual worldwide cover for about £62 for a £750 bike with I think a £25 excess) is much cheaper. When comparing the costs it's worth looking at what the hire Co will expect you to pay if their bike gets stolen, as well as obviously their daily hire charges,which can be high. Plus of course one can't totally rely on the reservation being honoured, what with bikes sometimes unexpectedly needing repair, or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: PennyFarthing

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
A spare battery would be good, but they seem very expensive. £800 from 50 Cycles for an identical battery, even the smaller ones are £400. Ordering from E bay Germany would get the price down , but we are still talking several hundred pounds. Also I'd need to carry the thing, ie i'd need panniers. With just the one battery I reckon i could get away with just a rack bag- carrying nothing more than basic tools, charger, rain jacket, wallet, phone, maps, toothbrush, and Tshirt/shorts for the evening. Cycling gear washed out overnight as necessary..
£309 for a 13ah from a company with a Brummy telephone number

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/li-ion-battery-for-electric-bike-panasonic-type-36v-13ah-468wh-aml9124.html

I know you can get an 11ah for around £250 from Ebay.de.

I've been thinking about doing something similar this year but I doubt I would set off with just the one battery as my plan is not dissimilar to yours. I would say that I can get over 50miles with my 612Wh on my Kalkhoff in full power mode. I'm wondering how old your battery is as that seems a little low if you're using mixed settings..

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
If I do a long distance ride I always plan it pub to pub and have never had a problem when asking to charge for a couple of hours in return for buying a few brandies(too many calories in beer and lager).
I dont have this problem any more however as I can now do 150 miles to a single charge.
Good luck with your trip,my sister lives in Stockton.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I've thought quite a bit about this kind of question too and have come to the conclusion that taking my own bike but insuring it (cycleguard do annual worldwide cover for about £62 for a £750 bike with I think a £25 excess) is much cheaper. When comparing the costs it's worth looking at what the hire Co will expect you to pay if their bike gets stolen, as well as obviously their daily hire charges,which can be high. Plus of course one can't totally rely on the reservation being honoured, what with bikes sometimes unexpectedly needing repair, or whatever.
This is great food for thought Jonathan - thanks very much. Very good point on booked bike not being available, especially in Italy where nothing goes to plan. Thanks for this. Let us know if you do venture on any electric bike hiring abroad and how you get on (ditto if you take your own bike). I'd love to hear how it went.

Reactions: jonathan75

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I hired my bike in Italy (Dolomites), all the bike shops had electric bikes for hire and seem to be as professional and reliable as anywhere else in Europe.