trailer advice please folks

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Hi all,

looking at adding a trailer to my bike capabilities, and wondering about the one wheel or two option.

mainly for a bit of shopping, but also potentially picnics, mini camping, etc etc.

any thoughts? have had a squizz around, but not much info about on pros and cons

ta!

Rob

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I think one wheelers are good if you don't want to carry too much stuff, e.g up to about 20kg. If you want to carry more weight than that I would go for a two wheeler.I've got a two wheeler and you can haul 40kg with that, disadvantage is it's a bit wider so you got to make allowances for that when riding, and it's a bit heavier than a one wheeled trailer would be

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Frank,

Hi, thanks for the links - any advice or opinions on which type does what better would be great :)

cheers

Rob

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I have two, 2-wheelers: one's a Trail Buggy for the littlest grandaughter & t'other's a Mule cargo trailer.

I don't really notice either of 'em's there when under way, but this leads to the only real problem - I've managed to tip over the mule, by not leaving enough clearance on the left.

To date, Shorty has remained right-side-up, but no thanks to grandad's navigation :eek:

D

Deleted member 4366

I have both single wheel and two-wheel trailers. If you have a rear motor, the single wheel ones won't fit to your bike without modification, otherwise they're by far the best. You don't have to worry about the width, and you can hardly feel it's there. The two-wheel ones are better for carrying kids, dogs, wife, etc. but for camping, it has to be a single wheel one.

There's various different clamping methods for the two-wheeled ones, so if you have a rear motor, make sure it's compatible.
Cargo Bicycle Bike Trailer With Storage Bag Shock Absorption Single 16" Wheel | eBay

C

Cyclezee

I favour a single wheel trailer for maneuverability and getting through gaps that are no wider than most bike handlebars, but as has bean said already, attaching one to bike with a rear motor is not a viable option.

My second hand Bob Yak as shown below is an excellent trailer, but the new price is rather over the top and the examples mentioned by Frank and D8veh are much better value for money.

20130513_152048.jpg

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
hmm thanks for all the advice guys, as it happens i have a couple of weeks to think about this one until the replacement bike arrives.

Is the problem with the single wheel that it attaches across the back wheel and hence with the motor the gap is too wide?

the two wheel ones that attach to the axle seem to attach on one side - guess these are ok?

and finally the one that attach to seat post are ok full stop i guess (but not sure i like that idea as seems prone to tipping over?

thanks for all the answers so far :)

D

Deleted member 4366

The single-wheel trailer comes with a special skewer and two replacement 10mm wheel-nuts that the trailer clips to. You can use either, depending whether you have a QR wheel. A motor has a solid axle with normally 12mm or 14mm nuts, so neither fixing is possible. If you're good at DIY, it should be easy enough to adapt it.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
bought a 12.00 2 wheel one from fleabay.... 6 quid a wheel i figured i can't go wrong, bit of fettling to do tomorrow ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know who wrote it, but it looks like complete bunkum to me. They certainly don't have a grip on basic science. Anybody that has actually tried carrying loads on a bike will draw completely the opposite to what they dis.

I just checked out the rest of their website, and what a surprise: They sell two-wheeled trailers. I''d never have guessed. I thought it had been written by some primary school kid for his science project.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, certainly is complete bunkum, reversing the truth. The optimum when possible is load on the bike since that gives minimum drag, second a single wheeltrailer and almost last, a two wheel trailer. Almost last? Well, there have been the odd four wheel bike trailers, but i can't think of anything worse for drag when load carrying.