Trailer for heavy loads.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I'm looking to buy a trailer for my ebike to carry heavy loads, i will be using it to take soil and rubble to the local tip, which is about 3 miles away with a long steep hill to climb, I will also be using it to carry sacks of animal feed.

I want something thats stable and durable, the Carry Freedom Y Frame Large seem to fit the bill, but is quite expensive at around £280, at the lower end there is something like the Homcom Folding Cargo Tailer (£80 at amazon). Has anyone got any experience with bicycle cargo trailers?

Any experiences or recommendations appreciated.

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Thanks, the addbike is an interesting idea, I’ve messaged circecycles for pricing and weight carrying limit on the atlas trailer, it looks like a possible option.

Child trailers are not an option for me as I’m looking at carrying at least 60kg, as that’s only 3 bags of animal feed.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have and use a Carry Freedom, I have the large version for my local beekeeping lugging about. Ebay was my friend for getting a used one for £125.

My Norco Indie with Bafang CST hub.
Trailer loaded with approx. 100lbs of honey in the brood/supers used and my panniers carry my other equipment needed. A CF is ideal for carrying loads and is good for storage as the towing arm and QR wheels take about 10-15 secs to remove for compact storage.
DSCF1026_LI.jpg

P.s.
For any one who wants a late sprawling plant for insects then I can recommend the flowering plant above in pic, from July right in November then the above Persicaria 'Red Bistort' is very showy and attracts very well on warm days.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I added front and rear reflectors at about £10- 12 cost as they were missing.
The lollipop elastomer has a split in it behind the eye so I have reinforced it with a pair of ali splints above and below bolted through with small bolts.
An new lollipop is about 25 euros.
So I can also use the CF on my Boardman as well I got another hitch for £10.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Are the quick release axles holding up OK?

I am looking at one of the eyewateringly expensive Munich made trailers. I won't be hauling 50kg though. A lot of this cost is in the custom made aluminum boxes they use. The same style of box can be found for lots less money but not at the exact trailer dimensions...

I will build my own boat trailer and use the same towbar and wheels from the road trailer.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm looking to buy a trailer for my ebike to carry heavy loads, i will be using it to take soil and rubble to the local tip, which is about 3 miles away with a long steep hill to climb, I will also be using it to carry sacks of animal feed.

I want something thats stable and durable, the Carry Freedom Y Frame Large seem to fit the bill, but is quite expensive at around £280, at the lower end there is something like the Homcom Folding Cargo Tailer (£80 at amazon). Has anyone got any experience with bicycle cargo trailers?

Any experiences or recommendations appreciated.
I have one of the 70€ amazon sold Chinese steel trailers and have carried over 50 kg of stuff back from the garden center without the tyres and tubes going pop. flecc has/had one of those which he modified to carry bulky loads, there are pictures on here somewhere.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tony yes, QR axles are fine I make sure they are lubed up to prevent any moisture issue with press release on the axle end. Replacements are 17 euro, the CF it's not an every day use item for me, good thing I find cars give you a bit more respect on the road maybe because they think of me as eccentric and can't believe what they are seeing in front.
The CF large is rated for 90kg load I believe, I can feel the 50kg when towing and am happy with hta weight/load. The trailer is stable with the 20" wheels.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have one of the 70€ amazon sold Chinese steel trailers and have carried over 50 kg of stuff back from the garden center without the tyres and tubes going pop. flecc has/had one of those which he modified to carry bulky loads, there are pictures on here somewhere.
Flecc's trailer was awesome he even pulled two trailers in tandem.
Link

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers