Trek Clyde Conversion

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
So the next project is a proper cruiser.

Basic bike spec:

Aluminium frame.
Steel forks.
Rim brakes front and rear.
4 speed shimano nexus hub.

Additional items to be added:

Some big cruiser bars.
Home made rear rack (ally, similar to D8veh design but without boot bag).
Mudguards.
Battery fed lights.

I will be adding my Q128 front drive kit, and a 20ah 36v battery and a 500w controller.

I will need to get hold of a left hand throttle of some kind.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
For left hand half twisted throttle it is now available from BMSbattery

Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

Have you tried the Q128 yet? Mine was gutless even with very high current. I heard that they run better with 48v.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Have you tried the Q128 yet? Mine was gutless even with very high current. I heard that they run better with 48v.
Yes, I've been using it for the last 1200 miles or so, on my mountain bike.

And yes, probably gutless by modern standards, but just about enough for my needs.

The trek will become my day to day bike, and the mountain bike will get a new rear drive kit (possibly a CST or similar) and be used just for fun/mud/doughnuts and impressing ladies.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I have an almost new electra I'm not keen on anymore, it was cool for 1000 miles but then the chain came off and I decided the coaster brake would get me killed in london traffic. No huge loss as I got lucky with sales and picked it up for £145 on amazon.

Anyway for longer bars electra make some nice ones called "ape" handlebars to be kinda like a chopper style and the other style that I have are really really wide(42 inch across) but kinda annoying if you have normal/narrow doors to get it inside lol

Also you need to get fatter wheels and more chrome :cool:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The bike is now on the road:

IMAG0119_1.jpg

I have added some nice laid back bars.
Schwalbe Fat Frank 2.3 inch tyres.
700c mudguards (got them cheap, made them fit).
A D8veh style rack, hammerited black (see thread: how-make-rack-battery )
IMAG0123.jpg
and some some LED Pipe Lights (See thread:cheap-homemade-led-lights)
IMAG0121_1.jpg

I had to file out the dropouts by about 1mm and spread the forks by about 10mm using the anti-rotation washers on the inside. Also, I had to move the 4 speed nexus shifter to the left side of the bars, as I only had a right side throttle too hand. I will change that at a later date.

Oh, also I had to change all the cables (brakes, gears) to accommodate the new bars

All in all I'm really pleased with result. A comfortable cruiser.

Last edited: