Trek Navigator 3 conversion

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Having purchased the KTM, my next project is to convert my step through Trek Navigator 3 so that me and hubby can both go out on trips. Probably talking 30miles or so distance and a good speed required. Staffordshire moorlands and into Peak District so must do hills. Are there any up grades recommended for the bike such as disc brakes? What systems would you very knowledgeable chaps suggest? Thanks .

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I live on similar moorland in Teesdale and would recommend a BBS01 (or preferably a BBS02 although they are slightly illegal) for hillclimbing.
I find disc brakes a must and preferably hydraulic although you wont be able to put them on your Trek.
You may have to consider selling it and buying something with discs to convert.
Have a look at my other posts for some ideas.
Bob

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the conversion for your husband or you? Whoever it is, we need an idea of weight and fitness because it makes a big difference to which kit is best. How much do you want to spend?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can you post a pic of your front forks depending on the age of your bike some nav 3.0 has mounts for IS disc breaks as well, If so you can upgrade the fronts. If not you would have to shell out for new forks to have a disc break set up. The step- thu looks very stylish, battery placement on the down tube looks good so no need for a rear rack. Only decison is hub or crank drive, hub drive is the cheaper option £499 or crank about £600-700 sourced in uk.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
The step through is a proper girly bike so husband would hop onto the KTM and I'd have the trek. I vary between 9 and 10 stone but usually closer to the latter :-( Money wise, I don't mind spending a little more if it makes a big difference, so I suppose the best value.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My BBS02,750 watt cost £380 here in the UK and a pair of 16Ah batteries were £162 along with a charger for £12. so not expensive.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Read my thread here
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bbs02-kit-750-watt-25-amp-on-apollo-evade-mtb.18998/#post-236948

Its actually very simple to fit, the biggest thing is removing the current bottom bracket.
Lots of youtube videos showing just how easy it is.

Performance depends on gearing and I can currently get up a 1 in 10 hill without pedalling and do 24Mph on the flat without pedalling.
Add your own effort and things can only get better.
Have a look at my Strava to see how my bike performs with such a fat lazy guy on board... http://www.strava.com/athletes/5706885

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
. Only decison is hub or crank drive, hub drive is the cheaper option £499 .
Or a proper hill climbing hub kit from Cyclezee for about £850 (if my memory is up-to-date):
A really gutsy motor & strong 14ah battery, 2-year warranty & excellent after-sales service.
Cyclezee really does go that elusive extra mile :)

From your posts, I'd advise staying well away from lipo's :eek:

Reactions: Cyclezee
D

Deleted member 4366

At only 10st, any ebike kit would be suitable, but if you don't have the competence to fit it, you'd have to pay someone else. Already, the difference in cost between fitting a kit and a ready-made ebike is not a lot, so, for me, it makes no sense to convert that bike. Have a look on Ebay, where there's some quite good new very cheap ebikes, or you could have a look at what Woosh are offering. There's also Roodog and Kudos.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for me, the beauty of conversion is you get a properly equiped bike with quality components at Chinese ready made bikes prices. I don't denigrate Chinese bikes on purpose, just that try as they may, Chinese made brakes and cranksets are way behind what you get on a £400 bike.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Dave, I know it's tempting to buy a ready made but I hate to see my Trek made redundant by the KTM and I'm really fond of her, she is such a comfortable bike. If I sold, then I don't think I would get anywhere near my money back, so that is why I as thinking of a conversion.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's a piece of cake installing a BBS01 18A 350W kit to your Trek N3
I can't see why you would need to pay someone to fit it.
and it's a pretty good match for your other bike in terms of pulling power and range while costing less than half of the other one.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
it's a piece of cake installing a BBS01 18A 350W kit to your Trek N3
I can't see why you would need to pay someone to fit it.
and it's a pretty good match for your other bike in terms of pulling power and range while costing less than half of the other one.
Plus if you can buy one with a battery and matching connector it should be plug and play.

Regarding the hobby LiPo, don't go there unless you are willing to learn how to treat them, more power, lighter weight and cheaper price at the cost of more careful handling, charging and storage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Crank & Bottom bracket tools on ebay for about £5 - £6 for the pair if you go for bbs conversion.