Trek Powerfly 7 2018 hardtail

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My better half has been kind enough to give me OK to buy another ebike. I was originally looking at 700c wheel trekking bikes for touring and commuting before settling on hardtail. Was going be Powerfly 5 but they didn't have my size, what a bugger having to upgrade, just have to make do with dropper seat, better fork, gears and brakes.

Here is few specs
Wheels/tyres: 29 x2.35
Brakes: 203mm disc both wheels! Deore M615?
1x11spd SLX/XT 11-46t gears
100mm Dropper
BOSCH CX drive, purion display,500WH powerpack, 4A charger (nice bonus for travelling)

Here is photo before my modifications.
Another after fitting new stem and Jones bars, Selle touring saddle. NB Bell location it helps provide crash protection to Purion display, also useful if turning bike upside down.

Mudguards are on order SKS velo 65 mountain 29". Once fitted I'll sort out a rack. Waiting on kick stand.
Have set cyclecross tyres yet to fit.

Has few nice features.
1) Battery sits inside frame with cover which is glued onto battery. Looks good and should keep dirt off battery.
2) Charging port cover screws on with half turn, see photo. Yet to decide if I'll charge it that way or remove battery.
3) bosses for drink holder which I've fitted.
4) dropper seat, nice extra especially for commuting and MTBing.
5) 203mm rotors, rear one might be swapped for my FS eMTB front 180mm.
Already fitted shorter factory stem to FS eMTB. My son already has his eyes on spare factory seat.

Plan is to use it for commuting, sunday rides and touring mainly on road light offroad. In tour mode it will act as a packhorse with 25kg rack, allowing my wife to ride light. Having 2nd eMTB means my son and I can also do some serious MTB treks especially with 1400wh of batteries between use.

Should be able to get 25kmh cutoff increased to 32kmh in few months once Bosch NZ gets the OK.

Will post more once I've done a few kms.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The SKS velo 65 mountain 29" mudguards turned up here photos of it fitted along with rack. Back mudguard was straight forward with excellent clearance. Front is tight fit only just clears front tire. The mounts for shocks are sold separately as I've found out, see photo for PNs. Not sure if sizes are for lower leg which is 40mm or stanton tube which is 32mm.

Not sure of rack make as its off my other bike but looks like Topeak in shop.
If you plan to fit a rack get shop to fit seatpost quick release that comes with bike, it has mounting points for rack, see photos. I needed to widen the racks lower mounting backets.

Done 200kms so far, very comfortable bike, dropper post was worth extra money. Tyres quiet for off road tyres, will eventually fit Big Apple or Big Ben on rear.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
B-SOUL Bicycle Mobile Phone Pouch 5.7 inch Touch Screen Top Frame Tube Storage Bag USD5.70 delivered.

This just arrived from Aliexpress. Perfect size, takes my 70x150mm phone with quite bit room to spare all round. Comes with rain cover which can be stored in external side pocket. No problems using touch screen through plastic.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The front mudguard would be a great deal more effective if it was several inches deeper.

As would the back, but that's not such a benefit unless you ride in groups in the rain.

Flaps are availalbe for a few pounds, or they can be home made from discarded plastic packaging.

Mine is a re-purposed ready meal tray, a fish pie, if I recall.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Flaps are availalbe for a few pounds, or they can be home made from discarded plastic packaging.

Mine is a re-purposed ready meal tray, a fish pie, if I recall.
Thats a great idea, only I don't like fish pie. It would have to be a tray from a lasagna, or chicken korma :D

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've yet to put it to test in rain but suspect back one will need to move further around to stop water flicking up from rear wheel. Should be able make something or cut down another rear guard to extend front coverage of rear guard. The jury rig on front one isn't working out, will need to come off until I order correct mounts for forks.

These are still best aftermarket MTB guards I've seen for coverage. There are definitely better factory ones on new trekking/MTB crosses out there, but only one of these with real MTBing capabilities is R&M Charger, which is lot more expensive than my rig.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The bike as now done 1000kms, no problems. I ended up use Cateye 300 mounts for attaching front mudguards to forks, as I ordered wrong clamps. Remove light attachment and work find, a slightly longer M4 screw would be good idea. Coveragevon front guards is good.

Found few things while workingbon bike.
1) has wiring in place for front and rear lights. The wire ends are stripped and bare , so don't ask shop to enable lights until you've insulated them. I got luck, still working. Rear is attached to plastic bung lower rear of seat post, should pull through with bung. Front is little trickier, unbolt battery lock and remove plastic plate. Best block end of battery compartment with cloth, just in case if you drop the nuts.

2) swapped 15t for 16t chainring. The chainring has 2-2.5mm lip on it, not sure where to get them. I was luck as my Cube comes with 2-2.5 spacer thats fits inside of chainring, so used that with standard Connex 16t chainring and fitted 15t to Cube. Will need to buy a spare spacer before 15t wears out, so I can keep using Connex chainrings.

Found supplier of spacers
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Gates/Lockring-Spacer-Kit-for-Bosch-Gen2-p62269/

Fitted a Specialized kick stand pn9899-3002.

Fitted a Scwhable Almotion 2.15 tyre to rear, mudguard could handle 2.25, maybe 2.35. The 2.15 seems big enough and gives excellent ride, not gone tubeless as plan to swap for offroad tyre on occasion. Kept factory tyre on front but gone tubeless to reduce punctures.

The Deore brakes with 203mm rotors has been big plus for my steep commute route.

Big plus is son using it a bit for transport, beats driving him.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Nev

Related Articles

Advertisers