Trial E-scooters in London - additional conditions

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
During a recent visit to Newcastle we saw several of these hire scooters being ridden by teanagers without helmets or any regard for traffic law or pedestrians. The unable to ride on pavements technology didn't seem to be working either..

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The unable to ride on pavements technology didn't seem to be working either..
The supposed 'no-go' area technology would not be accurate enough to prevent cycling on pavements as such.

I suspect its only intended to be used to prevent use in the large pedestrian precincts that have become common in city centres.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
During a recent visit to Newcastle we saw several of these hire scooters being ridden by teanagers without helmets or any regard for traffic law or pedestrians. The unable to ride on pavements technology didn't seem to be working either..
I only posted about London's scheme and its GPS provision, which is for certain nominated zones, not pavements.

I've no idea if there's similar elsewhere and I don't think there is.

Helmets aren't required for the trials anyway, they are optional.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I only posted about London's scheme and its GPS provision, which is for certain nominated zones, not pavements.

I've no idea if there's similar elsewhere and I don't think there is.

Helmets aren't required for the trials anyway, they are optional.
Likewise, just an observation of a window into how things might be if e-scooters were rolled out country wide. These were parked in small groups on the pavement with a helmet fastened to the bars. These young lads had found a way to unlock them and were riding really badly and surprisingly fast as young people do!
On the Newcastle website it states over 18, with a full or provisional driving licence but it seemed that the riders I saw were far younger.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I see Paris is now demanding that scooters speeds are somehow curtailed or face being outlawed following the death of a tourist along the Seine, a women has been arrested in connection with the collision.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
:confused: From the link :
E-scooter and e-bike hire companies are often a target for vandals who damage the vehicles or throw them into rivers and canals.
In 2018, Mobike withdrew from Manchester after losing 10% of its fleet every month to vandalism and theft.
Lime said a vast majority of damage was caused by non-riders rather than its customers.

A great idea, shame many of the british public are incapable of understanding when a revolutionary scheme is to their benefit :mad:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only benefit of scooters is if they are limited to 6mph, as most will be used on pathways and terrorise or intimidate pedestrians to getting out of the way.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The only benefit of scooters is if they are limited to 6mph, as most will be used on pathways and terrorise or intimidate pedestrians to getting out of the way.
On the rare occasions when I do actually go for a stroll, they often zip past me silently at 10mph-ish, dressed like ninjas on their black scooters with no lights on. They must have near collisions at the very least, with those randomly swaying about, having enjoyed a pint or several. Grown men riding scooters shooting past while one is walking, who needs this sh*t! I mean, you get off the road and think you've reached safety on the pavement, then these d*cks turn up in stealth mode...

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
How do those supermarkets with geo-barriers that prevent you taking a trolley out of the car park work? Could this be a solution to prevent riding on pavements.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
On the rare occasions when I do actually go for a stroll, they often zip past me silently at 10mph-ish, dressed like ninjas on their black scooters with no lights on. They must have near collisions at the very least, with those randomly swaying about, having enjoyed a pint or several. Grown men riding scooters shooting past while one is walking, who needs this sh*t! I mean, you get off the road and think you've reached safety on the pavement, then these d*cks turn up in stealth mode...
The problem is there is no real penalty for riding one illegally so it is perceived as only being slightly illegal, a bit like a dongle on an ebike, in fact most people dont know anything about the law and buy them for their children as a toy.. whereas driving a car without the relevant registration, insurance and licence is seen as a much more serious offence with considerable penalties if caught.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fines and penalties for driving illegally or without complying with any documentation is tbh pretty poor, again sentencing for fines etc is not that heavy or preventative. Look at that Price women again in reality got away with it for driving whilst banned and drunk.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How do those supermarkets with geo-barriers that prevent you taking a trolley out of the car park work? Could this be a solution to prevent riding on pavements.
There's an embedded magnet in the path surface that latches a wheel pawl as it crosses the magnetic field, preventing the wheel rotating. The latch then has to be disengaged to get going again. I fear the scooterists would soon learn to do this.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

A mate of mine is in France doing a two week paraglider stunt fllying course - looks like a lot of fun, but I bet injuries are horrifying: