trike carrier

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
does anyone know of a uk place I can buy a towbar mounted trike carrier, if we can't change the 4 bike carrier we are collecting from a friend at the weekend then we're going to have to look for a purpose built one and the only ones I can find aren't in the uk. I've spent ages searching on line and there has to be somewhere in the uk we can get something, has anyone bought one? we need to carry one normal e bike plus the e trike, I know it won't be cheap but we might not have a choice. We looked at Halfords 4 bike but the depth from towbar to numberplate is only an inch or so more than the width of the back wheels so although it might take the trike there wouldn't be room for the single bike and I assume they will all be about the same size, we were hoping we could simply have the supports moved for the trike and have enough space for the other bike, any ideas?

C

Cyclezee

Sorry if this is a bit flippant, but I use one of these...the one in the background which has a load bay over 2m and can carry 3 x 2 wheelers inside + 2 outside on the carrier or 1 trike inside.
I guess you could carry a trike on the one in the foreground too;)
20150416_120820.jpg DSC_0024.JPG

C

Cyclezee

Being slightly more serious, a customer who collected a recumbent 'tadpole' trike on Monday has a Toyota Prius with this type of high level rack to hold it very securely in an almost vertical position with the single rear wheel resting on the bumper.
53756_1_supersize.jpg

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
thanks very much for the 1st link, that looks like the sort of thing I've found but not in the uk, we already have a towbar mounted high carrier which might do for hubbies bike.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
does anyone know of a uk place I can buy a towbar mounted trike carrier, if we can't change the 4 bike carrier we are collecting from a friend at the weekend then we're going to have to look for a purpose built one and the only ones I can find aren't in the uk. I've spent ages searching on line and there has to be somewhere in the uk we can get something, has anyone bought one? we need to carry one normal e bike plus the e trike, I know it won't be cheap but we might not have a choice. We looked at Halfords 4 bike but the depth from towbar to numberplate is only an inch or so more than the width of the back wheels so although it might take the trike there wouldn't be room for the single bike and I assume they will all be about the same size, we were hoping we could simply have the supports moved for the trike and have enough space for the other bike, any ideas?
Have you thought about a sml box trailer,,it would be easy to mount s way to rig a carrier onto or even strap into the cargo bay, plus a useful cart for bulky loads, only bother would be parking in car parks?

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Its a lot easier than messing about with a normal 4 bike carrier now I have to start selling to make up the money.

Reactions: ajh2001