Try before you buy

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd be interested to hear what range of 'try before you buy' schemes are available in the UK for electric bikes - I believe quite a few dealers run them (eg renting bike then cancelling rental charge if bought). Please post if you know of (or operate) any such scheme or if you know of any others schemes that encourage potential users to try out ebikes. Many thanks.

SteveU

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010

TonyReisman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2010
Juicy bikes are hired out from Eco Republic in Buxton Derbyshire. Helped us decide on the Juicy Sport model We were able to test the bikes thoroughly up some pretty demanding hills and amongst some great countryside.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are also e-bike hire holidays from some companies, for example Natural Discovery in Surrey have an Urban Mover and Powacycle Salisbury choice at present and say they choose bikes for each season.

There's also Electric Bike Holidays in Ireland using Wisper bikes and maybe other makes.

I believe there's also an e-bike holiday scheme in the Eastern Counties, I think Sussex.

A holiday would be a good chance to thoroughly test one.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Yes, we've been doing this for years, since we started in 2003 really. You can test ride bikes around nearby Richmond Park or along the Thames from our Richmond shop. Must be some of the best cycling in the capital. Anything up to about an hour we'll consider a freebie - you can cover a lot of ground on a Kalkhoff in that time as well. Bikes are also available to test ride from our Loughborough base as well. All we ask for is some contact details/ID.
Contact Us | 50cycles - the Electric Bike Suppliers

Then there's our network of around 70 owner-demonstrators around the UK as well. We offer postcode-based search here http://www.50cycles.com/test-rides.htm

And yes, we also offer long-term hire with reimbursement upon purchase. Most people seem to come back from even a short ride with their mind made up though.

We've just had the new 2011 Agattu C3 delivered to the London shop which is proving the most popular bike to try lately and the other 2011 models will debut over coming weeks.