Trying to find an 8 speed chain for a crank drive motor.

Ash21014

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2014
Can anyone recommend a highly durable 6-8 speed chain long enough to fit a bike with a crank drive motor please?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some bike shops will have KMC 8 Speed chains on a reel. Just ask it to be cut longer, 138 links is normally well enough.

Or buy 2 standard (116 link) chains and link them together.

Shimano and Sram now do specific longer chains for CD eBikes but they are only for 9 speed onwards with Shimano and 10 speed for Sram.

Ash21014

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2014
How easy is it to link chains together, do the chains have to be specifically designed for it?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
How easy is it to link chains together, do the chains have to be specifically designed for it?
Its not the best route as opposed to buying one whole. Although you can link them using a chain rivet extractor. Just don't push the connecting pin all the way through or it is near impossible to get back in.

If you had 2 chains you would have plenty to play with.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
not that easy for a novice, you can buy special links that just snap together,but you still need a chain tool to shorten or lengthen chains.

you need to make sure when you use a chain tool 1st time that you do not push the pin all the way out ,you will never get the pin back in again!

practise on some old bike chain first ,you will see that essentially chains are built up from male/feamale links, that to cut or join a chain that you allow an extra pin for length of chain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
KMC do stronger higher quality chains for derailleurs, the first link below is to that page on which they are listed, best at the top:

KMC 8 speed chains

Wiggle have the top silver one on this link

You need to check if they will be long enough though.

and they have 8 speed chain links on this link

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I use the two chain and chain splitting tool method. The tool is relatively cheap and once you have bought the extra chain, it will last you many years because you only need to nip a bit off the end each time.

The tool isn't difficult to use, just take your time. There is also the satisfaction element of doing the job yourself.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
If you need an extra long chain, your LBS may well have bits of brand new chain, removed from a stock chain when a customer needed a shorter chain. These bits could be cheap or free.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Are you sure you need a longer chain?

The drive does not dictate the chain length, that tends to be the battery position.

Behind the seat post lengthens the wheelbase, which in turn calls for a longer chain.

What sort of bike is it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rob, I just checked to answer for Ash, it's a Woosh Sirocco CD, so it doesn't need a longer chain.

Ash, If you want a top quality one, the KMC Silver 8 speed I linked to at Wiggle will be ideal. Otherwise any 7/8 speed derailleur chain from your local bike shop.

You'll need a chain tool to cut the chain to size and you can join it with that. Alternatively, if you want to take tjhe chainoff for cleaning etc from time to time, use the quick-links that i also linked to in that post.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I tend to use the chain breaker to seperate the chain and use a quick/master link to join, it also helps with lubing as it gives you a start and end point :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
Some bike shops will have KMC 8 Speed chains on a reel.
Can someone name a shop that has KMC chain on a reel? I know KMC list it as a product, but I haven't been able to find a shop that stocks it. I would rather have a single-piece chain than splice two together. Thanks.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Can someone name a shop that has KMC chain on a reel? I know KMC list it as a product, but I haven't been able to find a shop that stocks it. I would rather have a single-piece chain than splice two together. Thanks.
there is no difference between a spliced chain and one that is a specified length.

Should you be worried about doing the job, best go too a reputable bike shop, its a 5 min job, but I do stress that splicing chain is a skill well learnt, there will be times when you need to fix a chain on the road,

Also , you should get a snap link , these make chain removal for cleaning and repair a doddle , a very worthwhile investment to have, for little money.ask the bikeshop for a derailleur one not a hub gear one.

We sell kmc chains to dealers on a reel.

Online that I know of mtb-direct.co.uk are probably the best to contact to buy a set length.

Probably not listed on their site but they buy loads off us so they must sell it somewhere

Reactions: TwoBikes