Trying to regain confidence on my Wisper

Rose

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
Ever since I sprained my ankle falling off my new 705se the second time of riding it, skidding on ice in early December, I've been nervous on it. I rode a short distance twice a couple of weeks later but felt 'precarious' and decided to wait for warmer weather. Today - with definitely no ice about - I tried again and still have this feeling of precariousness. The very first time I rode my bike I went about 6 miles and was delighted with it, not at all nervous. So I don't know why I'm nervous now.

Today I was OK without the motor, but when the motor cut in I felt as though the bike was out of control. I could manage if the road or path was straight for quite a distance, and there were no cars around, but felt scared if there was a bend to be negotiated. It seemed frightening to manoeuvre round a curve while using the motor, so I switched it off instead.

This is silly. I expect the solution is to keep trying and eventually I'll get over it. But I wonder if anyone else has been through this sensation that the bike is out of control when they use the motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is silly. I expect the solution is to keep trying and eventually I'll get over it.
Yes, that is the solution Rose.

The problem here was that you didn't have the opportunity to do the best thing, get straight back on and ride again regularly, and the gap in time has done the damage allowing the fright to become the norm as fear. This is something that anyone experiences after an accident where they cannot immediately resume the activity, whether cycling, horse riding, diving or whatever.

The motor power just makes things a little worse since it isn't in the direct control of your body and mind.

All you can do is to ride in safest circumstances at first and gradually rebuild your confidence, slowly expanding into longer trips and heavier traffic etc., but you will need to be patient as it does take time.

Last edited:

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Hi Rose,

Sorry to hear you have lost some confidence after the incident. This is a common reaction, however with some practice on quite roads (early Saturday/Sunday Morning) or better still a large empty car park your confidence will return. I had a tumble on my motorcycle some years ago and it can take time to regain confidence and coordination. With practice making smooth turns with and without the motor and gently braking when upright I am sure you will get to love your bike again. Don't worry about trying to set yourself time goals to get better, just take your time and ride safely.

All The Best
John

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
your nervous because you had a fall and concerned with power delivery/handling of bike - a bit of both but separate issues....

thirty year ago I was hit and seriously injured by a car coming out of a left side junction (I was in a car as well or else would not be here) To this day I still flinch when a car comes out on the right....its a natural feeling and a protective instinct.

I would not ride in rain or low temperatures. But I don't commute with a bike

Yes these bikes do feel like they are running away from you, it has been discussed on here at times. Latest models have a switch with a lower and higher power setting which will probably be more user friendly....not sure if it can be retro fitted? best to ask wisper.......

at least I hope the new 705SE has this facility as I have just ordered one for my wife.....

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I fell off my Wisper 3 times on ice in December and managed to hurt myself, as long as you don't go out in the frost then grip levels are far higher. Softening the tyres a bit may help it feel more stable.

Rose

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks

Well, thanks all of you for those quick replies. I shall follow all the advice and will try again early on weekend mornings, provided it's dry and ice-free.:)

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi. If you are in a situation where you feel the power would be too much for you to manouver comfortably within your percieved limits then just ease one of the brakes in - not enough to brake but enough to cause the motor to cut out and let you coast to a lower speed.

Also, if you don't use the throttle and stay in 4th gear you'll find that the motor doesn't give as much power (80% of full throttle). 3rd will feel even less while 5th will feel more like you are working and not the motor. The motor feels more in the background.

From a standstill, after a couple of pedals the motor kicks in and it can be startling. Keep pedalling as if you intend to accelerate and it won't feel so surprising. If you don't want the motor to kick in then do as above, pull a brake lever in enough to keep the motor off without actually applying the brakes.

I've learnt a few tricks of Wisper riding since having one.

Vikki.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi. If you are in a situation where you feel the power would be too much for you to manouver comfortably within your percieved limits then just ease one of the brakes in - not enough to brake but enough to cause the motor to cut out and let you coast to a lower speed.

Also, if you don't use the throttle and stay in 4th gear you'll find that the motor doesn't give as much power (80% of full throttle). 3rd will feel even less while 5th will feel more like you are working and not the motor. The motor feels more in the background.

From a standstill, after a couple of pedals the motor kicks in and it can be startling. Keep pedalling as if you intend to accelerate and it won't feel so surprising. If you don't want the motor to kick in then do as above, pull a brake lever in enough to keep the motor off without actually applying the brakes.

I've learnt a few tricks of Wisper riding since having one.

Vikki.
There is a little two-button panel on the left of the handlebar on the latest models which removes this problem - I have it, but I understand that there are still some about being presently sold which don't have the panel.

For those who do have it, it defaults to '20%' power, and when the motor comes in as a result of pedalling you barely feel it on that setting. The other setting is '80%' which I understand is the default if you do NOT have the panel. I agree that it's a bit disconcerting on the '80%' setting as the power comes in with a bang and you feel the bike run away with you. You can stop pedalling (power goes off) or touch the brakes (power goes off) but it does seem all or nothing. I don't use the '80%' setting at all, and use the throttle to feed in as much power as I need while I'm moving - that's much more predictable.

If David of Wisper is reading this, he may be able to suggest a 'quick fix' which will give you permanent 20% power unless you use the throttle, or if that's not possible (perhaps because the controller has changed also), allow you to disable pedelec mode completely (perhaps just by disconnecting the sensor behind the chainwheel) and then you only get power by using the throttle. I'm sure either of those would resolve your problem. I do suggest you wait for his reply though, as you would not want to disconnect anything without his approval during the warranty period - just in case.

For those who haven't tried a Wisper, it's a bit of a brute and has rather more 'grunt' than you might expect, especially when it's that 80% or nothing situation.

It's bound to be an easy fix. Don't disconnect the contact on your brake lever, as if you do you'll get no power at all, including when you use the throttle!

Rog.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For those who haven't tried a Wisper, it's a bit of a brute and has rather more 'grunt' than you might expect, especially when it's that 80% or nothing situation.

Rog.
The even more powerful eZee models have a full on pedelec arrangement which has scared quite few. A mistake in touching a pedal on my Quando with it switched on while not sitting on it resulted in it taking off and smashing through a panel door, and another forum member had a similar scary experience.

Rose

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008

I didn't realise there were techniques to learn. I'll certainly try these. Thanks, Vikki.

Rose

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
If David of Wisper is reading this, he may be able to suggest a 'quick fix' which will give you permanent 20% power unless you use the throttle, or if that's not possible (perhaps because the controller has changed also), allow you to disable pedelec mode completely (perhaps just by disconnecting the sensor behind the chainwheel) and then you only get power by using the throttle. I'm sure either of those would resolve your problem. I do suggest you wait for his reply though, as you would not want to disconnect anything without his approval during the warranty period - just in case.
Thanks, Rog. I have posted on the Wisper Clinics forum, asking about the lower and higher power button.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
The even more powerful eZee models have a full on pedelec arrangement which has scared quite few. A mistake in touching a pedal on my Quando with it switched on while not sitting on it resulted in it taking off and smashing through a panel door, and another forum member had a similar scary experience.
I take your point, and that would scare me too! The Wisper problem is a bit more subtle, and even when you're aware of it, it can be quite disconcerting. I had '80%' mode selected and I was coasting up to a pedestrian crossing, and as the last pedestrian was crossing in front of me I started to pedal lightly. The bike took off like a jackrabbit and the poor guy nearly ended up sitting on my handlebars.

Consequently I only select that on long flat unobstructed bits where I can't be bothered holding the twistgrip, and revert to '20%' whenever I might need to slow down.

I weigh less than 3x the weight of the bike, and I'm beginning to realize that despite riding motorbikes of all sizes, push bikes of all types, and having driven almost every other type of powered vehicle for many years, these electric bikes need to be treated with some care, and there is definitely a learning curve. It looks like a normal bicycle with a battery and a motor, but it's much more than that.

It makes me wonder how much trouble a 14 year old could get into on one of them! I can see there is a case for tightening up the rules, though I'm happy to have got in before things got too strict. There is definitely a case for keeping this a minority interest so we don't get regulated to death.

Rog.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I have the HI / LOW button as well but in the winter when I have thick gloves on I find pressing the buttons a tad tricky. It takes longer than just pulling the brake in a little bit and removes one of my hands from the handlebars while I try to feel for the button pimple through thick gloves. I also have to look down at the control which takes my eyes off the road. Come the warmer weather when I don't need gloves I'll be laughing but by then I'll have it down to second nature and still won't use it :) There's only one place where I need to keep power off and that's those pesky split overlapped gates back of Fratton football ground, hehehehehe.

I like the 80% setting, I've just adapted to accomodate it. Pulling the brake a little is instant motor cut-off, stopping pedalling has a slight delay to it and that has caught me out a time or five :eek: leading to rapid brake application and a high speed phew!

Hi, Rose. These are just things I've learnt while controlling a very frisky bike. Just wait till it starts bouncing along bumpy cycle ways, you get that true understanding of white-knuckles :D That's when I close the throttle and drop to 4th gear. 80% power only feels harsh on pulling away. When you are pedalling merry along it doesn't feel so great. It's that last 20% that brings in the friskyness, hehehe.

When Norman has sorted you out with the 20% power level you will find that almost unnoticeable until you apply throttle.

You'll be fine :)

Vikki.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
seems that the HI/LOW is not a retro fit option......

wisper quote:

"Unfortunately it would not be a easy upgrade as you would need a new type controller, new type brake levers, new throttle, the hi lo switch and a new wiring loom. Also the motor plugs would need changing.
Sorry about that - the new bike incorporates a lot of new components."

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex

wisper quote:

"Unfortunately it would not be a easy upgrade as you would need a new type controller, new type brake levers, new throttle, the hi lo switch and a new wiring loom. Also the motor plugs would need changing.
I was pretty sure that would be the case, and I guess the only other option would be to disable pedelec mode by disconnecting the sensor. Alternatively, it should be relatively easy to wire in a handlebar switch to turn pedelec mode on or off at will, just connected in series with the sensor, and then instead of '20%' or '80%' you'd have '0%' or '80%'. The '20%' mode is barely noticeable in any case.

I'm not suggesting anyone tries this on a new-ish bike. Seek the blessing of the guys at Wisper first, and I bet they will quite reasonably call it an unauthorized modification and bang will go your warranty.

Rog.

Rose

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
I was pretty sure that would be the case, and I guess the only other option would be to disable pedelec mode by disconnecting the sensor. Alternatively, it should be relatively easy to wire in a handlebar switch to turn pedelec mode on or off at will, just connected in series with the sensor, and then instead of '20%' or '80%' you'd have '0%' or '80%'. The '20%' mode is barely noticeable in any case.

I'm not suggesting anyone tries this on a new-ish bike. Seek the blessing of the guys at Wisper first, and I bet they will quite reasonably call it an unauthorized modification and bang will go your warranty.

Rog.
I'm in communication with Norman at Wisper about a hi low button. He's going to see what options he can suggest.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27

wisper quote:

Rose, I hope you get back to enjoying your electric bike soon.

PS:

Slightly off topic, so apologises to Rose.
But, if I had an older type wisper and I read the above quote, I would be praying my controller never dies :eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm in communication with Norman at Wisper about a hi low button. He's going to see what options he can suggest.
My quote above was from Norman ......

if he thinks there is something else that can be done I will be interested

Last edited: