TSDZ2 / BAFUNG clearance.

rik111

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2023
Hope someone is able to clarify if there is more clearance on the Bafung than the TSDZ2 ?

Just finished my first conversion using a TSDZ2 but would not fit onto my Mountain bike as it was flared underneath the bottom bracket so had to fit it to another bike.
I've now got an inch to do the mountain bike and it looks to me there is a lot more clearance with the Bafung motor.

Anyone who has done both able to confirm please ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BBS & tsdz clearance is pretty much the same.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I thought this was about a clearance sale! Knocked down to unbeatable low low prices for a limited time only.

My BBS01 appears to have a 5mm gap, possibly a fraction more.
A bit difficult to measure fitted - about 5mm+ clearance on the drive side of my BBS01B.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
How about a pic or two of the MTB BB flared area?

I ask, as on one of my installs I cut away a bit of metalwork to get the tsdz2 in, but all without weakening the frame.

rik111

Apr 9, 2023
Even with the plastic guide and cables removed there was no way the TSDz2 was going on.
I did think about a bit of skimming but didnt want to weaken the integrity of the bike.
It looked to me watching a few you tube vids the Bafung had much better clearance but I may be totally mistaken ..

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Even with the plastic guide and cables removed there was no way the TSDz2 was going on.
I did think about a bit of skimming but didnt want to weaken the integrity of the bike.
It looked to me watching a few you tube vids the Bafung had much better clearance but I may be totally mistaken ..
You-re right about the frame integrity: the TSDZ2 and likely the Bafang aren't going to fit into that frame - what a pity :confused:

jh787

May 23, 2023
I had the exact same problem.
Grinded a few mm off with angle grinder in flared area.
Squeezed motor in.
The bonus is that with no play in the motor whatsoever I skipped the chainstay supporting bolt too.
Taking a few mm off a tiny section is not going to weaken the bike.