Woosh Tsdz2 bike conversion

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
A couple of years ago I had a Kudos Typhoon 29er that introduced me to ebikes. Unfortunately that bike got stolen but it had done some good by proving my little commute was easier by bike than by car. At this point I decided to buy a Whyte Shorditch a non ebike. Its described as having a fast urban geometry, has carbon forks, hydraulic brakes, 10 gears and being sub 10kilo. I was quite happy cycling this and while I had sort of anticipated converting it to an ebike hence picking a bike with no front deraillure having to tamper withe the brakes put me off. Then along came the tsdz2 kit with torque sensing!

So to the details... 1 Whyte Shorditch, 1 Whoosh tsdz2 kit, 1 pswpower 13Ah 48v battery, 2 crank pullers, 1 pack of rivnuts, 1 rivnutter plus rivnuts, some silicon sealer, 1 electric saw, hammer, chisel, half a finger nail and some annoyance later it was all done.....

The bikes bottom bracket was the correct size, the motor slid in nicely, getting the gear cable between the motor and bracket needed abit of a mod to the guide but wasnt as difficult as I expected,the wiring all connected up easily the problem was getting the old bottom bracket off! In the end I stripped the threads of the crank and had to resort to using an electric saw to enable me to split the crank. It was going to be thrown away so in the end not a problem.

The 2 sets of rivnuts was because I tried using a bolt to fit them as you see on youtube and as I only wanted two extra I thought I would save some money. Word to the wise get the proper tool!

The two crank pullers was down to my ordering the first from somewhere deep in China. This led me to getting bored and thus uprating the front disc to 180mm, replacing the handles and getting a nice bouncy seat post before ending up using Amazons next day delivery and getting the 2nd crank puller.

The bike now weighs in at 20 kilos including mudguards. I weigh in at 97 kilos am 54 and consider myself ok fitness wise. The commute I do is 1.5 miles each way. Yes thats right 1 point 5. Its to the train station and takes around 10 minutes ( note by car it was around 30minutes due to traffic). Not much in the way of hills eithers just a short bit on the way home. This was done just for a bit of fun:)

The kit fitted easily, Whoosh were quite helpful answering my question about funny speed readings, seems it best not to get the sensor too close to the magnet. The display is a bit big really but does what it supposed to. The motor makes a little electric motor sound, changing gear does mean I have to let off the pressure a bit more than I used to. It can certainly pull me up the hill at cut off speeds and makes my journey a bit more fun at the end of a long day.

Ive tried to compare it to the Typhoon. There is some difference in feeling as its not always obvious its doing something even though the lack of strain and speed says otherwise. I suspect this is down to having a torque sensor as according to the Runtastic app Im going similar or even higher speeds.

I cannot say anything about the range as I tend to cruise at around 20mph so above the cut off, so far in 3 weeks Ive not knocked a bar off the battery :p

If you want an easy to fit kit this is a really good one as long as you are good at crank pulling.

Some pictures to follow

poloyadi

Banned
May 2, 2020
So to the details... 1 Whyte Shorditch, 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf 1 Whoosh tsdz2 kit, 1 pswpower 13Ah 48v battery, 2 crank pullers, 1 pack of rivnuts, 1 rivnutter plus rivnuts, some silicon sealer, 1 electric saw, hammer, chisel, half a finger nail and some annoyance later it was all done.....

Last edited:

Mark Copp

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2020
Could someone help me please? I have a TSDZ2 That I wish to install on a Boss Blade. The issue I have is with the bottom bracket as the 2 derailleur cables are routed via a guide at that point. One cable will go but how can I get the other one to the rear derailleur out of the way?