TSDZ2 blue gear spares

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Taking first steps with a conversion, having been very impressed with my loan scheme Ridgeback X2 with low end Shimano e5000 system.

I do hills and trailer towing, so I like range rather than speed and power, so for me it is mid-drive and a choice between Bafang and TSDZ2. I can't imagine not having a torque sensor, so that really makes up my mind. If the Bafangs had a torque sensor, I would have gone that way as reliability sounds anecdotally better. I'm hoping that my focus on low power / long range should mean I don't have too many problems.

But...that blue gear! It sounds like it is a good idea to have a spare in stock, and in the toolkit for long expeditions. So finally, here's the question!

When I look at pictures, there are two very different images, one with a full rubber seal ball bearing, and the other with a narrow all metal bearing end. Am I seeing the two different sides of the same thing, or are there two versions? Or to ask in another way, do these all come from the same source, or are there genuine and non-genuine versions?

20220116_103833.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's the same gear, one side(outer face) has the sealed bearing 609rs and the inner face has the needle pin HF1216 bearing fitted.
One can see better looking from the inside face.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It appears that premature fail is due to standing on the pedals to harshly at start up, if making parameter changes via osf then start up acceleration and torque settings need to be carefully adjusted.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It appears that premature fail is due to standing on the pedals to harshly at start up, if making parameter changes via osf then start up acceleration and torque settings need to be carefully adjusted.
Is this metal gear solid and compatible? Unlikely to melt:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is an upgrade replacement for the Blue one, but once fitted the motor is louder and it means any future poss damage is transferred elsewhere. There is a feeling that it is better to have the Blue gear fitted as a fail safe as it is easy to replace should it fail.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It's the same gear, one side(outer face) has the sealed bearing 609rs and the inner face has the needle pin HF1216 bearing fitted.
One can see better looking from the inside face.
View attachment 45377
That picture makes it much clearer.

I'll be sitting down in full suspension luxury, on nothing worse than a potholey gravel road. My reading of the problem reports is that this motor does not want to be pushed to its limits. If use at 250W continuous/500W peak was breaking them regularly I'd expect that to be clear from the forums.

And its a fairly low cost, and a Bafang will fit, so not too much to lose!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most failures are likely that users are pushing the barriers some what with the wattage an adjusting the current/watts demand upwards with the osf.