Help! TSDZ2 connection error with ST-LinkV2

gazellig

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2021
Hi All,

I'm loving my TSDZ2 conversion of my Gazelle bike, but I was curious how it would ride with the 'emmebrusa' Open Source firmware.

I've made the programming cable, installed the ST software and drivers, but when I connect the ST-LinkV2 to the motor and try to read the settings I get this error: 'Cannot communicate with the device!'
I've checked the pinout and connections multiple times and they're correct.

Any idea what the issue could be? The error message gives some clue but I don't know what that means.

Also, if this is not the right forum to post this question, please redirect me.

thanks!

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
There are a couple of possibilities.
Have you connected the reset lead ? I found mine worked best with the reset line not connected.
It is really important that the leads to between the plug and dongle are as short as possible .
It is also possible that the dongle is faulty, if you run the software with the dongle not plugged in do you get a message saying that it cannot connect with the tool?

gazellig

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2021
There are a couple of possibilities.
Have you connected the reset lead ? I found mine worked best with the reset line not connected.
It is really important that the leads to between the plug and dongle are as short as possible .
It is also possible that the dongle is faulty, if you run the software with the dongle not plugged in do you get a message saying that it cannot connect with the tool?
Thanks for you reply TJS, appreciated.
I have also tried it without the reset line, but I get the same error message. The leads between the plug and the dongle are short, 10 cm. I too thought it could be the dongle so I bought another one which gave me the same error message.
If I run the software without the dongle, I get the message saying it cannot connect with the tool, as you say. When the dongle is connected to the computer, I get the 'cannot connect to device' message, whether or not the dongle is connected to the motor as well.

Any other ideas?

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
10 cms is too long, I made the same mistake. try to get them as short as you can 2-3 cms say

ddebruin

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2023
I have the exact same error message showing.

My cable length is exactly 10cm.
Did shorting the cables further result in success?

Also I am flashing TSDZ2B motor. W

When I use STVP to read firmware on motor I get that error but after selecting read a few more times it will eventually read the firmware from the motor. Problem is that when I try to use OSF from emmebrusa I get the same error message and fails to flash...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check your controller as some newer firmware versions can't be flashed.

On the controller speed sensor connnector make sure that you see 5v between Gnd and swim, new firmware controllers show 0v between Gnd & swim so are not programmable.

My wiring is 11cm + the st link and is absolutely fine.

Looking head on at the speed sensor connector Gnd is LHS and swim is RHS along the row of pin outs along the flat edge.

Reactions: Woosh

ddebruin

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2023
I figured out the issue. I was doing everything right except the cheapo st-link v2 was no good even though it was able to read after 3 or 4 tries in STVP it would never work first try so it would fail when trying to flash not exactly sure what was wrong with it.... I ended up purchasing an alternative st-link v2 mini that looked different and was just a lot better quality. It worked with the same USB drives and everything. First try worked perfect. I purchased it from Amazon here is the link Mini ST-LINK/V2 SWIM / SWD in-circuit debugger/programmer for STM8 and STM32 @XYGStudy https://a.co/d/5kgc9qi

The manufacturer mentioned on Amazon is not actually the manufacturer it is rebranded.. link to actual manufacturer website.. https://www.waveshare.com/st-link-v2-mini-stm32.htm