TSDZ2 Final fitted position question

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • I have installed a number of TSDZ2 motors and have always followed the fitting instructions whereby the motor is rotated to the rear of the frame to allow the fitting of the chainstay bridging block and plate (pic courtesy of @Woosh installation guide).
  • In reviewing mid motors for my next conversion I've noticed that for instance the Bafang BBS02 and CYC Photon motor bodies are rotated forwards as per the pics below.
  • One YT reviewer "High Voltage" in reviewing the ToSeven (a new model with many external features similar to the TSDZ2 (same designer I understand)) ignored the normal block/bridge plate fixing and installed the motor rotated forward too (about 1.45s into the clip HERE) as he'd found the bridge plate awkward to fit. In comments on that video others had pick him on on this practice but he reported no problems with doing it that way.
  • I can see that the bridge plate prevents motor rotation under power but which way is that rotation ie. does it pull away from the chainstay or push up into it?
  • For reasons I'll not go into here, I'm considering for my next TSDZ2 conversion that I might fit it in the 'rotated forward' position so I'd welcome comments from any who have tried or considered this and from anyone else who has views about this?
Many thanks, B4t
54246 54247 54248 54249

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can see that the bridge plate prevents motor rotation under power but which way is that rotation ie. does it pull away from the chainstay or push up into it?
TSDZ2B: push up. However, its weight make it rotate toward the ground when the M33 locknut is loosened.
The TSDZ2B now have the supplied V-shaped bracket with splines to key into the bottom bracket shell so you can fit it however you like.

Reactions: Bikes4two