TSDZ2 grinding noise

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I've listened on my headphones to the vid a few times and whilst the noise is clear enough, the source of the noise can't really be determined.

Given that noises travel through frames making directional assessment sometimes difficult, how confident are you that it is the motor and not say, a cassette or freewheel/freehub slipping?

I ask this as I have a TSDZ2 and I had all the symptoms of the sprag clutch slipping (which I changed) only to find the feehub was the culprit. And similarly I though the tsdz2 cranks were creaking and it turned out that the headset needed greasing.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello - thanks for responding.
I’m pretty certain it’s coming from the motor. Gearing is a nexus hub gear and noise occurs in a variety of gears. Creaking cranks has been an issue for me on another bike with TSDZ2 and this is a different noise.

How would I go about checking spray clutch?

I am suspecting motor as the noise started when under load on a steep hill.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Bikes4two

FJC71

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2020
Have you considered the blue gear, I say that because I assume the noise is from the motor. I dont see your pedals jumping are they? If the pedals are not slipping its not the main sprag clutch.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
How would I go about checking spray clutch
(it's SPRAG clutch BTW)

One way to check any sprag clutch slippage on the TSDZ2 is shown in the first 20sec ( here )of this YT clip.

I used the method described in that vid to change my sprag clutch.

If the sprag clutch seems to not be the problem then as mentioned above, the next thing is to check the blue gear. If your motor is under warranty then get the seller's OK to take the motor cover off as doing so breaks the seal between cover and case and voids the warranty.

Again YT is your friend for getting to the blue gar which is easy enough and straight forward.

If the blue gear and sprag clutch seem ok, the next thing I'd do is remove the motor and replace the original chainset to be absolutely sure that the motor is a fault. You can then with some certainty chase the supplier for a replacement.

BTW, did you get the TSDZ2 from a supplier like Woosh, or PSW Power? I ask, as if from Ali Express or similar, returning the motor to China becomes the next challenge.

Last edited:

philfox115

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Hello,

I have exactly the same noise. Did you find the problem ? I have dismount my motor but didn't find the root of the problem.

Thank you,

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Hello,

I have exactly the same noise. Did you find the problem ? I have dismount my motor but didn't find the root of the problem.

Thank you,
Is this a new installation or one that has been in use for a while?

If the latter, did the noise start right from first use or sometime later?

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I had a similar noise on mine, sent the motor back to Whoosh, nothing wrong with it. In the end it turned out to be a bent rear axle, only apparent under load. The noise seemed for all the world as though it came from the motor, I would have sworn that's where it came from, but replaced the rear wheel on advice from Whoosh and - bingo - no noise.

Reactions: Bikes4two

philfox115

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Hello,

Thanks for your answers. I have done 1200 km and the motor is installed for few years.

The noise is like a gear that is slipping, it occurs at maximum torque and after 10 min of ride.

I have dismount the motor but all seems good.

I don't understand how the problem can come from rear wheel, it seems no more power is transmit by the chain when the noise appears.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How old is your kit? If it's not the B version, It's likely the blue gear that's slipping under load. Tongsheng redesigned it's motor, the newer B version, replacing the blue gear with a new clutch under the main gear. Check the label under the motor. Google tsdz2 blue gear for more info.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Have you checked to see if the free hub is the problem (that's the item that has the rear wheel sprockets attached).

See what I said in post no5 about testing.