TSDZ2 hitting chainstay! (Pics)

sprite1275

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 11, 2019
First time fitting. The gear housing seems to be hitting the chainstay. Is this normal?

The 2 5mm washers it comes with also are not enough to tighten the bracket.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:eek: Give the chain stay a whack with a hammer to get the clearance or get another bike to fit the kit to.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Is the problem the rear bracket if so space with washers, if its the bb spacers are the answer
The kit is a basic one size fits all
Most frames require spacers or the hammer what model Carrera is it and how wide is the bb

Last edited:

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
Is the problem the rear bracket if so space with washers, if its the bb spacers are the answer
The kit is a basic one size fits all
Most frames require spacers or the hammer what model Carrera is it and how wide is the bb
:eek: Give the chain stay a whack with a hammer to get the clearance or get another bike to fit the kit to.
Wow. Nealh I thought you were having a laugh with the hammer remark.

The Carrera is over 10 years old and it's an old zelos Magnesium frame. BB is about 74mm wide. Surprised it does not fit as it's an XC bike, MTB would have a lot fatter chainstays.

Well I won't be putting a hammer to it so looks like trying to source some big washers.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
At 73mmyou are at the max the standard brackets will fit
Often have to make custom spacers and brackets even have a 33mm hole saw, and offcuts of ali and stainless steel make a template with cardboard then make in metal

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue it the lower stays from the seat post /BB, arewide and fat to start with where as a lot of bike are narrow at this point before the stays spread/angle out.
The choice of bike can be/is quite important with mid drive conversions.

A few have wielded the big hammer before now.

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
At 73mmyou are at the max the standard brackets will fit
Often have to make custom spacers and brackets even have a 33mm hole saw, and offcuts of ali and stainless steel make a template with cardboard then make in metal
The main ring nut on the other side just fits on as you can see in pic 4. So if I can find some washer to fit on the crank side of the BB that just keeps the gear housing touching the chain stay but taking the pressure off that should suffice. Quick search brings these up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Spacers-Bottom-Bracket-OR-Cassette-Shimano-HG-Hollowtech-0-7-4mm/222466199524?hash=item33cc04cfe4:m:mCwdPuFrSkMfTnX1dyUpz1g&var=521320606895

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
Well I managed to find a bit of plastic in the shed and made a washer out of it. Just the right size to stop fouling the chain stay.

I would of liked maybe an extra millimetre for the clamping nut but it's on and holding.

Could go with a bit better cable management but it's give me a chance to test ride.

Battery fits perfect thanks for the recommendation Nealh. First impressions is great up the hills but gutting how hard it is to pedal past the motors cut off point. Definitely would like more speed but hey, thanks UK for the naff laws.

Gwlec

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2019
Can anybody please clarify why it is so bad for the motor housing to be in contact with the chainstay? On my Bizango 29er it seems to nestle really comfortably into it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can anybody please clarify why it is so bad for the motor housing to be in contact with the chainstay? On my Bizango 29er it seems to nestle really comfortably into it.
Motor resonance /vibration via the frame, also can you 100% be sure the housing is fully tight against the BB shell when the lock nut is tightened ?

Reactions: Gwlec

Gwlec

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks so much for that, suspected that was the case but never found the reasons actually stated anywhere.

Darkenergy

Dec 7, 2019
Well I managed to find a bit of plastic in the shed and made a washer out of it. Just the right size to stop fouling the chain stay.

I would of liked maybe an extra millimetre for the clamping nut but it's on and holding.

Could go with a bit better cable management but it's give me a chance to test ride.

Battery fits perfect thanks for the recommendation Nealh. First impressions is great up the hills but gutting how hard it is to pedal past the motors cut off point. Definitely would like more speed but hey, thanks UK for the naff laws.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I had same problem on a bizango and made washer out of old aluminium saucepan.
10/10 for ingenuity, but what happens when you need to heat up some soup!

This might help next time (not with the soup)....

Reactions: Gwlec

fasteasyfree

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2019
I had same problem on a bizango and made washer out of old aluminium saucepan.
What year Bizango, if you don't mind me asking? I have the latest one they sell, and plan on migrating the setup from an older bike.

A quick glance however shows it would be tight even with the second washer provided in the kit. I'd need to do a test fit to confirm, but I'd rather have the info ahead of time off someone who's already been through the process...

Darkenergy

Dec 7, 2019
It is a 2017 yellow. Had to make 2 washers making a thickness of 3.5 to 4 mm to keep gearwheel side clear of chain stay. This left not much thread on lock nut but was just enough and put on lock tight. Have done about 1000 miles on it.

Reactions: fasteasyfree