TSDZ2 or BBS02B

Dizer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2019
I'm planning to build my first e-bike but i'm doubting between 2 engines: the TSDZ2 or BBS02B.

I like the idea that when i press harder the TSDZ2 engine will support you more (superman legs). However, as i will be use it daily i have my doubts if it the smartest decision as not the best materials are used for it.

The BBS02B engine is more robust, has more torque but it works with a PAS system. If you don't know any better i believe that in general most people will like it.

What is the best choice, does anyone have experience with both the engines, preferable long-term.

To power the engines, i'm planning to buy the Hailong E-Bike 48V 17.5Ah battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BBS02 has many blown controllers as well.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the TSDZ2 is lighter and quieter.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
Hello - I am looking at a BBS01 ETM or a TSDZ2 for my latest cargo bike. I am drawn to the TSDZ2 from Woosch but want a larger capacity 17-20AH 48v battery than they currently offer. Any recommendations for a suitable battery preferably bottle cage mount style case? Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 35E has the best capacity of all cells and life expectantcy if you restrict it to 1c or 3.5a max which means 17.5a max for 5 cells in parallel , following extensive testing of many cells this is the one NASA have opted for to use on there missions, though I think 0.3c is there usage of the cell.

Above 1c the GA is better, typically I'm not bothered about total claimed capacity down to 2.5a discharge but use 3.3v as my min discharge line and compare cells to this line.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2019
The latest TDSZ2s I understand have improved features including a better dust/water cover to the chainring end of the motor. I came across a web site a few weeks back selling them as spare parts but having decided one would be a good idea I now cannot find the web site:(

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It`s lighter but it`s not quieter - certainly noisier than my BBS02 and HD motors
eg..
I have all three (BBS01, BBS02, TSDZ2) in the shop.
I'll make some video on the same test frame when I have a bit of free time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
TSDZ2 in my workshop on the test frame. The phone is about 2ft away. You can use the button clicking as reference for noise level.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
tommie, I have tested every motor we sell, I have nothing against Bafang, I buy mostly their motors and a smaller number of MXUS.
Does your motor run on 36V? our TSDZ2 runs at 48V, they don't labour as much compared with 36V.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is the noise of a running (Woosh) 48V TSDZ2:

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I have two Bafang BBS01(not 02) 250watt and TSDZ2(350watt) so here is my two pennyworth.
TSDZ2 :-
If you are fit or reasonably so, the TSDZ2 is for you. The TSDZ2 definitely feels more Bike like, most of the time you don't even notice the motor it just quietly goes about its business until you put push hard on the pedals, like when going uphill, and then the motor becomes more noticeable as the torque drive kicks in. The harder you push on the pedals the more the engine works, sounds good, BUT when you are knackered and you have cycled 35 miles up hill and down dale and you come to the last steep hill and you have very little energy left to push hard on the pedals the motor doesn't help you enough.
It has no voltage display only bars, that might not be a problem for you, but i use HobbyKing LI-PO's and any thing below 3.7v per cell will drastically cut the batteries life, it will also cause puffing which is when LI-PO's become dangerous, so i need to know the voltage for safety reasons, which means more expense and another LCD for my voltage indicator. The actual motor is good, its well engineered, and i have had very little trouble with it, although it was supplied with a faulty LCD which took 5 mths to get replaced, But i blame the supplier for that and not the actual TSDZ2.
Finally, what you get is what you see, no ability to adjust its performance beyond stock. Dealers will like this as they hate us tinkering, But i like the freedom to set things to my personal preferences, especially as my 350watt TSDZ2 appears to me to not be as strong as my other e-bikes.

Bafang BBS01 250 watt. :-
I really thought i had made a mistake when i first bought the Bafang, it was gutless and the motor kept pulsing , I hated it!! I found out later that the dealers set them up very conservatively for fear of them having to pay out with guarantees. And the pulsing was because i was riding it at its legal maximum speed(15.5 mph) and the motor would cut out, as it should, and without the motor assistance it would slow down a bit and the motor would cut back in, rinse and repeat. And on top of all that the bloody chain kept coming off.
So through the Pedelecs Forum i found out i needed to adjust the settings and bought a £20 lead which after a lot of time surfing and reading up, i was able to get my Bafang set up just how i like it. The pulsing was stopped by adjusting the maximum speed to 20mph(Oh Er naughty, naughty) and a Bling Ring crank stopped the chain dropping permanently. Bafang are Definitely pushing the limit because no way is it only 250watt, its quite a bit more powerful than my TSDZ2 which is 350watt.
I liked the motor so much I bought a second one.

Conclusion :-
The TSDZ2 is more natural to ride. Most of the time you completely forget its an ebike until you come to a hill, or you put a quick spurt in, when the motor increases its power and helps you along. Great for ambling along with other elderly riders on a group ride, or casually taking in the scenic route. The TSDZ2 does not like to be pushed and prefers a more leisurely Pace. Its also more economical than the Bafang getting up to 30% greater range.

The Bafang is more suited to my style of riding, I often find myself keeping up with, and sometimes even passing the Lycra brigade, who seem to get upset when an old fart like me(70) goes past them on steep hills. And most people don't even realize i'm riding an ebike until i tell them. I dont have throttles on my ebikes, but when i'm knackered i can just wack it up to 5 and get up the steepest hills without much effort on my part, unlike the TSDZ2 which always requires you to do a lot more of the work on hills.

Horses for Courses, but i ride my Bafangs a lot more than the TSDZ2.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I bought a sample 36V TSDZ2 last year, I concur with your finding about the 350W 36V TSDZ2.
That's why I asked Tongsheng to make me a 250W 48V that can replace the 36V BBS02 :D