Help! TSDZ2 throttle & e brake info please

Andrewlee1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2019
I’m just about to order a couple of Tongsheng mid drive kits but I’m unclear about the configuration I’ll need to order. I’m going to order 48v units and I intend to use the open source firmware fairly promptly.

My previous experience with a bionx system (also with a torque sesnsor) inclines me towards installing the e brake sensors. From what I’ve read the version of the Tongsheng with brake sensors also comes with a throttle- which I do not want to install.

Can anyone tell me if is it possible to install e brakes but not install the throttle- if it is possible is it just a matter of not connecting the lead from the throttle?

I’m only looking at the Tongsheng and I’ve read posts on here endlessly and there is such a wealth of info here but I’m still uncertain about what to order. I want the e brakes as an added control and so I can leave a (clipped in) foot on the pedal especially on hills.

Many thanks to all on here.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
If you use the vlcd5 the brake cut outs work just do not plug the throttle and the open source will flash onto it .The 850 c display option also will take cut offs. And can be purchased from some sellers as a ready flashed with the open source as kit

Reactions: Andrewlee1

Andrewlee1

Nov 13, 2019
If you use the vlcd5 the brake cut outs work just do not plug the throttle and the open source will flash onto it .The 850 c display option also will take cut offs. And can be purchased from some sellers as a ready flashed with the open source as kit
Thank you - planning to just go with the vlc5 initially. I want to start off with the off the shelf operation-especially for my partner as it’ll be her first e-bike.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thank you - planning to just go with the vlc5 initially. I want to start off with the off the shelf operation-especially for my partner as it’ll be her first e-bike.
I have two TSDZ2 which I initially ran with the stock firmware and you don't need e-brakes: you stop peddling and the motor runs on for less than a second and stops even with your feet 'pressing' the pedals

When you get into OSF, you will need to use the Java configurator to set up the motor with the VLCD5 display (And the VLCD6 and XH-18) and some of the possible configurations would be best with an e-brake - most of the options in the configurator do not necessitate an ebrake though.

You could download the Java configurator and handbook and read through all the settings to see what's what and whether you're likely to need the ebrakes.

Current source for Open source firmware TSDZ2-v20.1C.1-VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18 is here.
(Note v20.1c.3 is currently suspended)

TJS109

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2017
Glos
It is possible to configure the OSF for brake operation and not enable the throttle.
I would always install e-brakes with this system as an extra safeguard although they are not needed in normal operation.

chris1403

Just Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Hi Andrew. I've had a TSD22 on my tandem for nearly a year and I can confirm that you don't need the e-brake sensors as the motor switches off the moment you stop pedalling. Also, you don't need the throttle but we use it to help occasionally to get away from traffic lights/heavy traffic quickly.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Hi Andrew. I've had a TSD22 on my tandem for nearly a year and I can confirm that you don't need the e-brake sensors as the motor swithches off the moment you stop pedalling. Also, you don't need the throttle but we use it to help occasionally to get away from traffic lights/heavy traffic quickly.
Hi Chris - did you fit the TSDZ2 to the front or rear BB and was the BB eccentric? I'd be pleased to know of any 'tandem specific' issues you can across in the fitting. A lot depends on your sync chain arrangement I'm guessing?

Cheers, B4t

Andrewlee1

Nov 13, 2019
Hi Andrew. I've had a TSD22 on my tandem for nearly a year and I can confirm that you don't need the e-brake sensors as the motor swithches off the moment you stop pedalling. Also, you don't need the throttle but we use it to help occasionally to get away from traffic lights/heavy traffic quickly.
Thanks for the info, tandem, now there’s a thought. One motor or two?. A friend put a hub motor on a few to sell on. He was doing quite well with them.

chris1403

Just Joined
Oct 22, 2021
Hi Chris - did you fit the TSDZ2 to the front or rear BB and was the BB eccentric? I'd be pleased to know of any 'tandem specific' issues you can across in the fitting. A lot depends on your sync chain arrangement I'm guessing
Cheers, B4t
I fitted it to the rear BB (stoker). It's not eccentric. Had no specific tandem issues BUT you need to make sure that the motor will fit between the chain drives. I bought my TSD22 without measuring its width and when I came to fit it in the BB, I found that the motor was about 3 mm too wide and the inside of the synch sprocket scraped against the side of the motor (see photo). I had to make a 'shim' for the pedal crank so that I could tighten it slightly wider than normal (it seems to have worked ok). However, you may find the width between the sprockets on yours is ok.

I'm very happy with the arrangement and the pedal assist works a treat.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks for that @chris1403 as the issue you describe wasn't a factor that I'd have previously considered.

I'm guessing what you're calling 'sprocket' is the chainring for the sync chain going to the front/Captin's chainring?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
It is possible to configure the OSF for brake operation and not enable the throttle.
I would always install e-brakes with this system as an extra safeguard although they are not needed in normal operation.
So, an update on the ebrake question - and I am running the OSF firmware v20.1C.1
  • I'd promised feedback if anything untoward happened and today it did in that I noticed that although I'd stopped pedalling, the motor was still running on.
  • The 'free running' power seemed to be quite low and with little power - very similar to what you'd get with 'walk mode' I'd guess?
  • Anyway, I stopped the bike (canti -brakes) with little effort, reached down and powered off (down-tube mounted bottle battery) and power back on again and the motor operated normally.
  • Clearly a firmware glitch, but for those who might be spooked by such an event, maybe an ebrake would give some comfort.
  • An ebrake creates a signal for the controller to power down the motor - hopefully the route for that signal is dis-associated from the 'no peddling, switch off the motor' part of the firmware?
Just to give an insight into the type of riding I was doing at the time of the 'run-on' issue:
> 250w, 36v TSDZ2 running at 25kph pedal assist, VCD6 display, no ebrakes or throttle
> battery was maybe 25% discharged
> ambient temperature was around 12degC and the motor had not been worked hard (so no heat build-up) and ridden in ECO mode throughout.
> bike speed at time of issue was maybe 10-15kph
> As I approached a T junction I stopped pedalling and notice the motor noise and looking down to the chain ring, I observed the 'run on'.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having one brake cut out would negate the need to switching off the system.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Having one brake cut out would negate the need to switching off the system.
True enough but I went for the vlcd6 and no brake option which is provided with a 6 pin cable between controller and display and you need the 8 pin cable for an ebrake.

I'm very comfortable without an ebrake and I certainly didn't want any more cables on the handlebars.

I've now done 1500 km and the run-on has happened just the once which is the experience of others who have mentioned this on Endless Shere.

Apparently it is a known issue with OSF v20.1c. Given all the plus points of what OSF brings, I'll live with it.

I know of 4 other TSDZ2 users, none have ebrakes but all run on stock firmware and haven't had any problems with run on or indeed with anything else for that matter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I shall opt for a vlcd 5 when I get one to try out and add one brake sensor along with the OSF tinkering. As this is also going to be a towing cargo bike, adding a heat sensor and some extra heat mods will the first before fitting.

The new OSF branch for stock displays hopefully will be due soon as well.