TSDZ2 vs BBS-HD which would you chose?.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello all, my plan on converting my Carrera mountain bike over to e-assist may be happening sooner than planned after selling some car bits!.

I've narrowed it down to either the TSDZ2 torque sensing 350w or the BBS-HD.

I really like the idea of the torque sensing pedal assist, but my sensible head says the HD "should" be more reliable (and a lot more grunt).

This is for a weekend toy/ project and not a daily commuter.

Any experience with either would be great to hear about!.

Cheers, Keith.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Big difference in watts hard to compare the two side by side, one being seriously more powerful then the other.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Power aside, you've got to think about long term reliability and down time of electric bikes.

You are far more likely to be able to acquire replacement parts for the BBSHD, than the TSDZ2. Plus, there is a greater wealth of knowledge on maintaining the Bafang units, especially over on Endless Sphere.

Feel free to mark my poor English down, I'm having an off day :D

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
It does seem like chalk and cheese doesn't it!.

Both have very good selling points, I doubt I will be fitting a throttle to either so the pedal activated function is a real consideration and I'm only assuming the TSDZ2 is better.

I am leaning towards the HD for a number of reasons and this is quite a bit outlay money wise for me so I don't want to get it wrong!.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I have noticed that as well, plus you get some TSDZ2's that are a lot quieter than others which begs the question on quality control..

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York

Just seen this on endless sphere, that actually looks like a very good sized bearing in the TSDZ2.

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
From what I've heard Tongsheng compete with Bafang based on quality. The engineering of the TSDZ2 is superb but the controlling software execution is not that great. Can probably update the firmware but there is not much information available. Bafang BBS has much higher take-up and therefore more information is available. Not necessarily better bit like betamax vs VHS.

• Informative
Reactions: KeithMac

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've road the bike home from work that I plan to convert and I've almost 100% decided on the 350w TSDZ2..

For how I ride (always with pedal input) it just seems the best solution for me personally to have torque sensing.

I think the HD as people say will be far too powerful for my use, but that's not to discount the BBS02 series.

The TSDZ2 has a years warranty, I'll be buying from a UK supplier so hopefully if anything does go wrong I'll have some backup..

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Good choice and good point about 1 year warranty. My problems with the TSDZ2 are probably just because of a bad battery, the seller suggested I send it back to be exchanged but I didn't because I hate packing things up and having to post them and admin and all of that ****. I'd suggest not getting a £200 bottom of the line battery for use with it like I did. That's another reason I didn't send it back. I expected the replacement battery to be just as bad. All my negative experiences with ebike kits over the last 9 years is attributable entirely to crap batteries. So buy the best batter you can. The motors are mostly bullet proof.

Last edited:

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Yeh, thanks for the feedback.

I will be getting a Samsung celled battery, seem to be highly regarded.

Think 12ah should be more than enough for what I want out of it.

Have you got yours working again?.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I bought the tsdz2 250w mainly because of its ease to swap between bikes with same bottom bracket, and because both 250w and 350w are 80nm (so I have confirmed with cnebikes who surply kits to ebc)

the default amps setting is 16ah I have set mine to 12amps 10.4 battery use tour & sport mainly but get good range 40- 45 miles.
as regards batteries id go for a quality one 13ah or 15ah capable of high discharge to suite the 16ah amp setting.
who are you going to buy ts from?

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Looking at ebike-sales at the moment, 14.5ah dolphin battery (Samsung cells) and a TSDZ2 350w kit.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Just ordered the TSDZ2, will be a slow build as I may have to live in the shed if the wife finds out...

I have my Nuvinci 360 rear hub to fit with shifter along with the TSDZ2.

Something to tinker with at the weekends!.

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Yeh, thanks for the feedback.

I will be getting a Samsung celled battery, seem to be highly regarded.

Think 12ah should be more than enough for what I want out of it.

Have you got yours working again?.
It's never stopped working. Its just temperamental - battery switches itself off and then the system performs strangely afterwards. Probably all caused by battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For TSDZ2 owners spares aren't a problem as PSWPower have them on their website.
Controller, lcd , Nylon gear/cog, TS, main drive beraing etc.

Reactions: KeithMac