TSDZ2 vs HAIBIKE XDuro NDuro

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Hi,

Here's a brief field report and a couple of pics of my kit bike:

Kit bike: 2007 Specialized Stump Jumper FSR Expert with TSDZ2 and 10.4 AH battery from ebike sales. L size frame. Paid £350 for it on ebay.

Haibike: I am not sure what the exact model was because my friend is a bit cagey about it but he said it had RRP of ~£7000 but he paid ~£4500. It was 2017 model with Bosch drive and 15 AH battery. He reckons he can use if for a year and sell it for more than he paid for it. Yeeeeaaaah rite! Good luck on that.

Couple of pictures of my bike:

So the comparison:

Firstly, both bikes were unrestricted top-speed wise. I had the TSDZ2 Stumpjumper set to 12 amps rather than 16. We did a 15 mile route with about 2/3 on tarmac and 1/3 off-road - mainly very muddy fields and canal side. The Stumpjumper had knobbly tires, the Haibike had Schwalbe Supreme (semi slick).

Riding experience:

Riding both bikes, the experience on tarmac is very very similar. The torque sensor based assist on the TSDZ2 is obviously not a million miles from the Haibike experience. The most notable difference was that the TSDZ2 provides a lot more assistance from a standstill and at very low speeds, whereas the Bosch system seems to ration it and only increase the assistance when you start moving a bit faster. Some of these things are probably configurable. Peddling on the flat I was able to get the Haibike up to slightly higher speeds, about 30mph rather than 26mph on the Stumpjumper. However the slick tires on the Haibike probably helped a lot here.

Offroad. I didn't ride the Haibike Offroad. It was on semi-slicks so probably wouldn't have been that great and it lagged quite far behind me. One thing I will say about the TSDZ2 is that in deep mud at slow speeds it span the back wheel sending mud flying into the air and causing rear wheel skids. I've heard complaints about the TSDZ2 being 'too sensitive' but the opposite was true here. It would rotate the rear wheel when there was no traction and continue after I'd reduced the pressure on the pedals to avoid skidding. So not great in deep mud at slow speeds.

Battery life: Stumpjumper down to 1 bar at the end. Haibike indicating half battery gone.

Reliability. Well this, as far as I can see, is the main thing you are paying for if you go for a Haibike. Both bikes performed on this test with no issues. However, as I said on other threads, I had this kit on another bike previously and it gave me problems, which turned out to be the battery which I only got around to fixing a year later. I could have returned it all to the vendor originally but to be honest I'm really busy and didn't have the time/energy/motivation to dismantle it all and send it back. So, yes the kit option is more hassle, but is it £3200 more hassle? Not for me. Sending back a Haibike would also be hassle.

Actually, if you prefer to buy things new then the Haibike at £4500 isn't that bad. A 2017 Stumpjumper with a comparable specification to my 2007 one would be over £3000. Bikes I one thing I always buy 2nd hand because so many people buy one and hardly even use it. Bargains are galore.

Some notes on the Stumpjumper build: I swapped the components onto Stumpy in about 45 minutes having had some experience with the previous TSDZ2 build on my Trek Soho. My research tells me that the 2007 Stumpjumper is the last one with a 'standard' bottom bracket, so later years you may have to get some additional adaptors. It is 73mm Hollowtech 2 bottom Bracket, so you need a Hollowtech 2 BB removal tool, not a square taper one. The TSDZ2 anti rotation bracket could not be fitted due to the Stumpjumper having rear wheel suspension - you could do it but you'd need a bespoke part. Initially I had some problems with the motor rotating forwards and the wire connectors popping out, so I mounted the battery butted up against the front of the motor so now it can't move. The battery can actually fit in the internal triangle, but the battery + mounting plate can't (slightly too long), so I slung it under the bottom of the bike with cable ties. This is very secure and I like the weight distribution it gives.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery comparison is use less, they are chalk and cheese.
You say TSD is uncontrollable at low speed and slippery conditions but no mention of power mode used.

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Both bikes were in the highest (turbo) assist level at all times. The battery report is scientifically useless as you say - just an experience. The battery on the kit bike was 1.5 years old and had been used whereas the Haibike was new.

Lets be clear, the electric motors used on ebikes these days, from the cheapest to the most expensive, are all over 95% efficient in converting stored electrical power into kinetic energy. Therefore the only possible difference in terms of range is in how these different systems deliver the power and how much work they make the rider do vs how much they do. So my experience is suggesting the Bosch system gains higher range by making the rider do more work at low speeds, and the TSDZ2 wastes energy by spinning the wheel when there is no traction.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Adjusting TSD amps a bit higher and using a lower power setting the traction is likely to be better with more torque, giving less aggressive control & lower power. More torque surely is always better in slippy/muddy off road conditions to limit wheel spin then brute force power.
Climbing or getting drive is a trade off between power and torque, you can't always have both.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Without wishing to sound pedantic, power IS torque, the only difference being an added ‘time’ factor. In the example above, less torque would actually be preferable to prevent wheelspin, unless it could be effectively controlled. Something which is quite difficult with ebike motors which generally have a fairly specific operating rpm. The simple answer is to obtain more traction..

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Yes, torq is just power delivery over short spaces of time.

One thing I wanted to point out is that buying a Bosch system you are paying for reliability/warranty and power delivery preference only. Motors are 95% efficient, so out of a given battery pack you will roughly get the same range from a kit vs expensive system. The only differentiation it how reliable/sexy it looks + a little bit of difference in power delivery.

These Bosch systems saying they get 150 mile range when the battery technology is the same, the motor technology is already 95% efficient, the battery chemistry is the same. It's all marketing.

Reactions: Mdias

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Again, not to be pedantic but it’s the other way round. Power is derived from torque (using a time multiplier).

Which is why stating something is ‘high torque’ is worthless without giving it a time constant (rpm for example). My old car made 650lb/ft which would be considered well up there in the torque stakes, but if I added that it only made that between 4250 and 5500rpm (and bugger all torque anywhere else) it doesn’t sound so useable. It wasn’t. Light switch indeed though, and good for a laugh nontheless.

Sorry, derailed enough. I agree with your battery and motor comparisons.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe I have worded it wrongly, trying to power through mud at slow speed whilst in turbo mode is to much too high & too harsh a setting. It needs to be more subtle so eco or tour mode or what ever they are called rather then the speed or turbo higher modes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0305.JPG
problem is the bosch batt monitor is crap as it senses how you ride so if hammering it then will drop faster that what is really left in the batt so if you back off then the miles go back up.

tho i get 25-30 miles on a 500w batt with max 120rpm

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Battery holds 15 AH ebike, motors are > 95% efficient. All that it left is the quality of the ride + power delivery,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a 500w bosch batt is 13.4ah and costs 700 quid.:eek:

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i to have tdz2 250w 60nm fitted to Halfords Carrera subway one 10.4 bottle battery. rack/ panniers 2 locks amps 16 ,
find eco and tour a bit too hard for me to peddle so use sport .
for me at 69 find it very hard to peddle unpowered, about 21mph on flat turbo.
range 25-30 mixed terrain.
I tried Halfords Vulcan/Carrera last easter ,nice to ride but nothing vastly better than tdz.
ex dem ktm macina became avliable bosch active line 50nm 400w battery
main difference I can ride the ktm in eco fairly easily on the flat and got 60 mile range/ 46 a bit more mixed terrain but no big long hills.
downside present cost of battery at £500+
I pootle about at about 12mph most off the time