TSDZ2 wrench

Mike_P

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2019
I have notice the M33 wrench as supplied with my TSDZ2 is becoming a bit worn on some of the 8 teeth. Seems that there are plenty of wrench's about to for the Bafang but they have far more teeth. Anyone know of a suitable wrench; the bike has been creaking and I think it may be the M33 nut having worked fractionally loose despite being thread locked in place - I did manage to tighten it slightly but would rather like to take it off and fit a washer on which I have read can give a better grip for the nut. The wrench however slips too easily trying to undo due to the wear.

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
I have notice the M33 wrench as supplied with my TSDZ2 is becoming a bit worn on some of the 8 teeth. Seems that there are plenty of wrench's about to for the Bafang but they have far more teeth. Anyone know of a suitable wrench; the bike has been creaking and I think it may be the M33 nut having worked fractionally loose despite being thread locked in place - I did manage to tighten it slightly but would rather like to take it off and fit a washer on which I have read can give a better grip for the nut. The wrench however slips too easily trying to undo due to the wear.
Same here. Decided to cut the wrench provided with the motor so it can be used while riding. Turns out it's too flimsy. Then decided to grease the bottom bracket shell to reduce the probability of frame damage while putting some blue locktite on locknut threads, but can't seem to undo the locknut now with a taping method. BBT-18 8 notch tool probably won't fit there. Looks like castle sockets with 40mm inner diameter aren't available. Just need something good enough to be able to tighten it with 40Nm of torque. The upper plate of anti-rotation bracket seems to be bending slowly while tightening the bolt, so that one also has to be tightened periodically.

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
Looks like HCW-5 might fit, since it says it fits minimum inner diameter of 40mm in the notches.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
There is a thread a few posts lower down touching on this. Looks like Bafang nuts are the same thread - m33 -

An option might be to buy a Bafang spanner & nuts.

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
Thinking about trying out something similar to Hozan lockring pliers. I'm afraid those might slip though.

Last edited:

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
There is a thread a few posts lower down touching on this. Looks like Bafang nuts are the same thread - m33 -

An option might be to buy a Bafang spanner & nuts.
At least torque-able sockets for the Bafang fixing nuts are available?
From the USA?

Bit expensive unless you are doing a lot of installs? I will stick to the the spanner n mallet technique

Reactions: Swizz

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
I think if the wrench is too worn, then trying to undo it with a flathead screwdriver and mallet might not be good for bearings and components due to propagation of shock loads trough the bike.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I think if the wrench is too worn, then trying to undo it with a flathead screwdriver and mallet might not be good for bearings and components due to propagation of shock loads trough the bike.
Had similar issue after using blue loctite, just persevered with wrench and heavy rubber mallet.
Getting the anti rotation bracket sorted correctly, will help with stopping movement in the future!

Helmski

Just Joined
Jan 5, 2021
I had a similar issue with blue Loctite. Thing would not budge, totally destroyed one wrench tool and chipped the paint so many times with a plastic head hammer. After a few busted knuckles I came up with this and it worked flawlessly. This Ice tools bottom bracket removal tool was the perfect size to clamp the wrench to the locknut and tightened up using the original bolt for the crank but you could improvise with something else. After this then give it welly with the hammer, that wrench tool aint budging.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I 'look after' four TSDZ2 (friends/family) and I've used the same OEM on wrench on all of those motors and I must have tightened/lossened the locknut 20+ times and (a) I've never had it come loose, (b) I tighten initially by hand and then tap the wrench with a hammer for maybe a further 1/3rd turn and (c) I've never missed with the hammer so never damaged the frame paintwork.

Practice, practice I guess.:)

Reactions: Woosh