Review TSDZ2B Problems.

Raytsdz

Just Joined
May 27, 2020
Gateshead
Been running the old tongsheng TSDZ2 for 5+ years with the usual water ingress and sprag clutch problems (4 times @ £7) with the battery getting tired and a blue gear failure decided to upgrade after an all weather 10k miles.
Ordered up the TSDZ2B 750w 8 pin & 48v X 20ah Samsung battery. Installed on a nice GT Zaskar geared 42 / 11x36 without throttle and black jack tyres. In all a very nice ride over mainly rough tracks.
The new motor looks more robust in the clutch department with the main differences being a slightly longer ramp before the assist kicks in but a real boost on the highest assist setting.
BUT after 5 days & 180 miles running on out the box settings what's best described as a loud croak then no assist. On the upside the new clutch arrangement makes it easier to peddle.
PSW are sending a controller & motor in 7 to 10 days in anticipation I removed the offending parts and noticed a burnt smell from the motor casing.
On the bench I powered the parts up using 36v good parts as a test rig and concluded the motor & controller have both gone down. Externally the motor tests okay the windings are balanced and clear and hall sensors rotate at 5volts but the motor will not rotate at 36 volts.
The controller other than putting 5v into hall sensors does nothing. I've tried every test combination on the bench but cannot identify the actual fault.
Any comments would be welcome.
Ray.

• Informative
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh