Tv

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi all,
I spent yesterday servicing my old scooters and my daughters bicycle. Just as I was finishing her bike she wandered in and asked me what my 1st bike was l showed her a picture of it on Google (raleigh chopper in metal flake purple) and was amazed at how much they are now worth. The same goes for my scooters, in the early eighties, when I first got into the scooter scene you could pick them up for peanuts. I wonder if today's e bikes will have the same cult status in years to come. We could all be sitting on potential goldmines!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi all,
I spent yesterday servicing my old scooters and my daughters bicycle. Just as I was finishing her bike she wandered in and asked me what my 1st bike was l showed her a picture of it on Google (raleigh chopper in metal flake purple) and was amazed at how much they are now worth. The same goes for my scooters, in the early eighties, when I first got into the scooter scene you could pick them up for peanuts. I wonder if today's e bikes will have the same cult status in years to come. We could all be sitting on potential goldmines!
Afraid not, e-bike reliability isn't anywhere near good enough for them to last, and that is exacerbated by the lack of spares availability for the motors, particularly crank motors.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id give it at least 200 years ;)

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
A couple of years back I went to put my daily rubbish in the bin sheds and found someone had dumped an old Raleigh Shopper in there. It was in poor condition with rust everywhere and a split seat tube, the long trademark seat itself was also split. Wheels were so so but the tyres were surprisingly in good nick, probably replaced at some time.

I'm all for recycling so I picked it up, it wouldn't wheel, and took it back to my flat. I did nothing to it just photographed it and shoved it on ebay , it sold three days later for £47 rust and all !

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi all,
The amount of Lammies I made into chops and bonedowns back in the 80s if I had kept them as stock would of been worth a fortune now.

• :D
Reactions: Croxden

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Still got one, unfortunately it's a curry burner, wish i had kept all the italian ones.
Love mine, l have a lambretta gp 200 and a vespa px 200. I was meant to be at Whitby last weekend for the first rally of the year but this bloody lockdown buggered that up! I will just have to content myself with restoring my old gs instead

AKG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2019
I collect original 80's BMXs and believe me, they can and do run into thousands.
Nostalgia is a lucrative market.

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
I collect original 80's BMXs and believe me, they can and do run into thousands.
Nostalgia is a lucrative market.
I couldn't agree more, look at all the retro stuff available these days. From fridges to radios, cars and motorbikes etc. As for people stating that e bikes are unreliable and parts are scarce, the same could be said for my lambretta, that hasn't stopped them developing a cult status. I think us brits are a strange lot and I think we may well start collecting early pedalecs in years to come.