Twist and Go 15.5mph DIY Ebikes are legal

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For non-KT conversions: How difficult would it be to install a secondary pedal sensored system which keeps the throttle deactivated, so that the throttle can only activate motor power while the pedals are moving?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thank you, that's very interesting. I was thinking of a system working completely independently of the controller, to install on a BBS01B say: A small computer calculating speed using input from a secondary pedal sensor, and only allowing the throttle power while the pedals are turning, and while the speed is less than 25km/h. A small system which can be fitted to any ebike with an illegal throttle, for people who really want to retrofit a legal throttle which passes the police dumb roadside throttle test. Of course, cops could simply declare the pedelec illegal upon sight of a throttle regardless.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you, that's very interesting. I was thinking of a system working completely independently of the controller, to install on a BBS01B say: A small computer calculating speed using input from a secondary pedal sensor, and only allowing the throttle's 5V while the pedals are turning, and while the speed is less than 25km/h. A small system which can be fitted to any ebike with a throttle, for people who really want to retrofit a legal throttle which passes the police dumb roadside test.

I didn't study it fully, but I'm pretty sure that it'll work externally. He's just using a a small micro controller to read the pedal sensor, speed sensor and throttle, the using logic to switch the throttle and brake input.

You could probably do it with a transistor to switch the throttle signal on with direct switching from a branch of the pedal sensor smoothed by a capacitor and resistor, and an inline resistor to reduce the current. isolate it from the main PAS signal with a diode.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Hi I'm a journalist looking at e-bike conversions. If you have experience with DIY conversions, faulty conversions and batteries, fires, or using a conversion as a food courier or delivery driver, please reply to this post of DM me. Thanks.
You need to post this somewhere more obvious, it's hidden at the end of a thread. Hope you aren't just chasing knocking copy though. What paper is it for?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You need to post this somewhere more obvious, it's hidden at the end of a thread. Hope you aren't just chasing knocking copy though. What paper is it for?
He posted same thing in few threads and opened a new one.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
that could be confusing, where to actually engage then? Perhaps he's from the Dully Fail or one of the others not concerned with truth, only sales.

N8ESS

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2024
I have a Fiido D3, if I restrict the throttle output to 3.7mph, will this then be classed as legal? it has a 250w motor a maximum speed of 15.5mph and is pedal assist.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc