Two boys die in "ebike" accident: Cardiff riot broke out after 'police prevented parents seeing fatal crash victims', close relative says

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I was an apprentice motor cycle mechanic. Times change and 73 years ago that was not as unusual as you seem to think. Being shortly after WW2 with a desperate shortage of all motor vehicles we supplemented with selling, fitting and servicing assist motors for bicycles, starting my long term interest in that subject.
Nice, sometimes I wish I'd been born 100yrs ago and had an honest living in the fields or in a skilled trade and not the rat race we currently live in.

And as for working at an early age, at 11 years old I had three part time jobs and was working and schooling a 13 hour day Mondays to Friday and 11 hours Saturday, paying half of my earnings to my parents to help with my keep in those impoverished times.
Did you have to walk 6miles every day to school and back in the rain and snow in shorts too? ;-)

Of course I didn't have the time to be either a vandal or a hooligan, but I did know the value of working hard and successfully. So much so that I retired just into my fifties and have enjoyed 33 years of affluent retirement so far, buying and owning six new cars during that time and currently with a £30K electric car.
You bought 6 cars in 33 yrs, that's nothing, I wrote off 3 cars in 16months, a beamer, S series and E series (nicest merc I ever owned, a E350i with paddles on wheel for shifts).

Have you been or will you be as successful?
Lol, you're getting a bit 'loadsamoney' and my my wallet is bigger than yours. I run a consultancy that's turned 5 figures for 15+yrs as well as owning a small but successful Property Management Company.

Do I win ;-)

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
No it doesn't. It teaches emotional detachment, withdrawal, disconnection and a whole load of other emotional issues. I'm not totally anti smacking, but beating (especially for the sake of it) is harmful and counter productive. You risk passing your issues on to the next generation.
There's been a no smacking ban in Scotland for yrs now, can't believe it's not UK wide.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Did you have to walk 6miles every day to school and back in the rain and snow in shorts too? ;-)
No, between 1.2 and 1.9 miles at three different school levels, but the 1.9 miles I had to run twice each lunch hour to somehow fit in the two way journey and midday dinner. In those very different 1940s days mothers like mine felt inferior if their kids had a school lunch, a sort of social failure, so insisted on cooking a main midday meal.

I run a consultancy that's turned 5 figures for 15+yrs as well as owning a small but successful Property Management Company.

Do I win ;-)
I'm pleased to learn you have been successful and hope it continues, despite seemingly every effort by our governments to make us fail. But there's no winners. I've been an environmentalist for almost all my life, from many decades before it became fashionable, wishing we weren't forced to live the lives we do, progressively destroying all around us. Eventually we will all lose.

Reactions: Woosh

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
As I get older I yearn for a more simple life. I no longer take phone calls if I don't recognise the number (apparently this is now a thing with younger generation, they don't like the stress), can anyone be blamed? Why waste time talking to cold callers or automated bots that waste your time and cause stress? Kids do it mostly by messaging, not IM as that's more stress but simple old school messaging updated such as Discord and the like, no pressure. Just one example.

The speed of modern life walks over souls, I'm hoping it doesn't have to be this way in the future for kids if they are educated in what is important in life, however I fear...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well today i raced a train of 20 road bikes down the canal race path in to gloucester i won :p then on the way back some twat wanted to race me on a scooter ppl everywhere mind we went past one guy and he lost his **** shouting something lost that and found some nut job on a suron doing a wheele doing 50mph how no one has not been killed so far i dont know.

then had to drop a bike off to a m8s in town and some stupid cow pulled out in front of a police van and it had to swerve to avoid impact then moves a bit more and sees us and nearly hit the fkn curb plod did nothing of course and just kept on trucking :rolleyes:

DSC_0077_04.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
I was an apprentice motor cycle mechanic. Times change and 73 years ago that was not as unusual as you seem to think. Being shortly after WW2 with a desperate shortage of all motor vehicles we supplemented with selling, fitting and servicing assist motors for bicycles, starting my long term interest in that subject.

And as for working at an early age, at 11 years old I had three part time jobs and was working and schooling a 13 hour day Mondays to Friday and 11 hours Saturday, paying half of my earnings to my parents to help with my keep in those impoverished times.

Of course I didn't have the time to be either a vandal or a hooligan, but I did know the value of working hard and successfully. So much so that I retired just into my fifties and have enjoyed 33 years of affluent retirement so far, buying and owning six new cars during that time and currently with a £30K electric car.

Have you been or will you be as successful?
Interesting and well done you. I turn 50 in August, but sadly I don't think I'll be able to retire just yet. However, as a major life plus, I did recently redeem my mortgage, so now 100% own the house I live in.

Just the one car and the one e bike.

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Interesting and well done you. I turn 50 in August, but sadly I don't think I'll be able to retire just yet. However, as a major life plus, I did recently redeem my mortgage, so now 100% own the house I live in.

Just the one car and the one e bike.
good job the hole fiat money system and the stock market are going to crash big time :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

cash is backed buy nothing it is all based on debt based on corporates greed power and control

go look at house prices there collapsing its all over priced and inflation wont be going down any time soon and the petrol will be 3 quid a litre next year :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
all the kids and 20 year olds i speak to are mostly brain dead brain washed tax slaves the new guy at the local shop cant even count coins like wtf :rolleyes:

when i was 14 i was selling crack had blocks of it the size of house bricks it went that fast and i got paid way more than a just eat rider today :p

View attachment 51897
Nobody sneeze! :D Sneezers get stitches!

What did you cut it with? Or was it pre-cut with something or somethings? I suppose fentanyl is aded these days? How did you go about selling it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
nothing it was as pure as you can get ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0078_03.JPG
DSC_0079_04.JPG
DSC_0080_04.JPG

i know where the shops are ;) they dont pay no tax on that :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I always wanted one of them volcano things, though I can afford one now its pointless as i gave up weed 3 years ago.
Besides my lungs are fked and smoking anything is bad as bad gets. I need give up tobacco or its a bleak future.

Maybe if i can give up tobacco, and in a couple to a few years of healing, I could partake int he occasional bit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its a vape i have had it for a long time now like 15 years and it keeps on blowing :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I recall recognising one of the parts that Orac was made from whilst watching one episode.

A shot of the bits of Orac revealed it was made from Radiospares (now RS components) 0.1" strip board or Veroboard.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney