Two-way communication system??

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
I'm probably asking for something that does not exist ! However, it would be great if when out cycling as a couple we could communicate thro a hands free type of thing. I have seen motocyclists using something like this.

Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks
Jeanette

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Do a web search for "wireless motorcycle intercom". I just did, and found quite a few hits. I looked at the first system, which cost around £200 and had a range of 2 kilometers. If you look a bit harder, you may find something cheaper or better suited to your needs, but they do exist.

Mary

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
I'm probably asking for something that does not exist ! However, it would be great if when out cycling as a couple we could communicate thro a hands free type of thing. I have seen motocyclists using something like this.

Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks
Jeanette
It does exist Jeanette, I bought the BINATONE TERRAIN 550 Two Way Radio from Currys but there are many on he market with VOX, these were on offer for £29 a little while ago, and they switch themselves between receiving and transmitting as you speak and as you listen.

The system these PMR radio's use is called VOX (voice operated transmission or switch), and is selected from the built in menu system. The units can be used as a normal telephone i.e hold it to your lughole as per usual, but are supplied with a combined ear piece and microphone - which is pretty much concealed when worn, the phone can be clipped to your belt or put in your pocket - and you can pretend to be an FBI agent :eek:

These have a longer range than the cheapo radio's, 8 km instead of 3 or 5 is claimed. They are supplied with rechargeable batteries and a recharging pod, if you buy the Maplins universal charger, they can be recharged from a car battery - or in my case the motorhome sun powered habitation system ;)

Regards Terry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another bargain has cropped up now Jeanette. Machine Mart have their two way 2 mile range model reduced for a sale period, the two way set at £17.60, and the hands free set at £9.39. Here's the links:

Two Way Radio

Hands Free Set

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks very much Flecc, seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I have placed my order. They do seem a good price and should work well for the short distance we shall need them for. When we've tried them out I'll post to say how we get on with them.

Can't wait for them to arrive, it will make our rides even more of a pleasure. We enjoy going off down country lanes and places we never normally would go in a car, (not off road), we will be able to speak a little as we ride. Of course, we shall be careful but with the VOX headset I'm sure it's safer than trying to shout.

I'm sure they will also come in handy for when my husband is "playing" with his model trains in the attic room. Unfortunately I have to have an operation on my foot at the end of October which will put me in plaster for 6-8 weeks and then some physio - the two way radios will be great for me to summon my husband when I need him as I shall be almost chair bound throughout this time. Not sure he will be happy with this !!!! I put my operaiton off to the winter months as I did not want to miss out on cycling weather !

Kind regards
Jeanette

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks to all other members who replied on this subject. I did look at the BT system (especially as BT pay my husband's pension !) but I could not find anywhere that had them in stock - not even BT. However, The one that Flecc mentioned is about what I was hoping to pay for such a thing, and was in stock.

Regards
Jeanette

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of the need for the operation Jeanette, but as you say, having two way mobile communication will make life more bearable when you are partially immobile.

I'll be interested to hear how you find the communications while on the road.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
A bit off topic perhaps, but I'd be very interested if people could post (or PM me) with user reports on these systems - how well they work, any interference experienced, are they low cost, cheap systems or high quality.

The reason is that part of my day job involves sitting on committees that deal with the regulation and technical standards for thing like this.

Thanks,

Nick

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
PMR 446 MHz radio's

In response to the request from Tiberius

PMR 446 MHz 2 way radio.

A licence free short range communication service. Built to an internationally agreed industry standard, Any PMR 446 radio, irrespective of manufacturer, will work with any other PMR 446 radio.

The radio's have 8 primary channels and both users radio's must be set on the same channel. Each of the 8 channels can be sub divided into 38 "private" (secondary) channels using Continous Tone Coded Squelch System ( CTCSS ). When both or more radio's are set on identical primary and secondary channels, they can be locked to prevent accidental changes when fumbling with the volume control.

We should read "private" in the loosest possible way. It's not a digital system, any other users whose radio's are set on the same combination, and within range, will be able to hear your conversation and may even join in, wanted or not!.

About the range.
In a very heavily built up area, like a town centre, the range can be measured in 100's of yards. We may experience "drop-outs" here. This is a result of a radio receiving an out -of- phase signal "bounced" of a nearby building, this cancels out the "direct" signal resulting in a bitty conversation. This is more pronounced when both radio's are moving. When used in open countryside then 2 - 4 miles is possible. FM signals in the UHF band in which these radio's operate are "line of sight". In a hilly landscape the range will be reduced and, by the same token, flat areas will give the best range.

And, OUT of range.
Some, but not all radio's have an "out of range" function. When enabled, the radio's will frequently "ping" each other. Based on the signal strength of the returned ping, the radio's may sound an audible alert indicating impending loss of contact. At this point the lead rider needs to ease off a bit, and the tail end charlie needs to get a move on in order to close the range. There are a great many functions not covered here, but will be in the manual that comes with the radio.

Let's have a look at hands free headsets.
Most radio's have a VOX (voice activated switch) facility which can be enabled. Used in conjunction with a headset, this is a useful way of communicating with fellow riders. Some headsets have a lapel mounted microphone and an "in your ear" earpiece. In use, this is NOT the best type for bikers. For a kick off, the earpiece renders the user deaf on that side. The lapel mounted microphone picks up a lot of wind noise, making it very difficult to set the VOX sensitivity threshold. My preferred radio's are Uniden PMR 885/2. (The latest type is 887). The headset provided is a combined earspeaker and boom mic, the speaker held in place by a clip which passes around the back of the ear ( like the police use). As the mic is so close to the mouth, it is much easier to set the level at which the VOX will respond to a voice.

Abuse!.
I'm afraid, that sooner or later, misuse of the sytem will be experienced. In no way is it a private system. Every Tom, Dick and wannabe Lord HawHaw will get hold of a radio and inflict foul mouthed abuse on all and sundry. Many radio's have a scanner function. Earwiggers will set their radio's to scan all the channels (including CTCSS privates). when their radio detects an active channel, YOUR channel, it will lock onto that channel, and you then have "company". We quickly learned the golden rule on CB (Citizens Band) radio. NEVER, EVER, RESPOND TO ABUSE. It's exactly what they want you to do. Simply ignore them and they will soon get fed up. If they persist, then don't let them spoil your ride, Switch the radio's off and holler at each other.

Busy times!
Christmas, Many thousands of radio's are presented to children at this time of year. For several days after, the channels will be crowded with giggling youngsters, but the novelty soon wears off and peace returns. School summer holidays will bring parents keeping tabs on their flock during outings. Activity groups use them instead of the pay to use service further up the band. In my local area, we still have a large warehouse directing forklift trucks around using this service.

The last time I used a pair of radio's was, when perched 30 feet up a ladder, trying to aim a television antenna at an invisible transmitter 60 miles away. A friend with the other radio down in the dining room informed me when a signal lock was aquired, Easy!

Hope this is of help

Regards

Bob

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Thanks Bob,

That was very useful, and I think there are others who will find it useful too. I often find myself in discussions where we have all the technical information, but market information and user experience is less available.

These are "de-regulated" devices so there is no easy way of even finding out how many have been sold, let alone how many are in use.

BTW, PMR446 is a relatively new band. It ties up with the similar Family Radio Service in the USA and it did at least take the pressure off illegal use of intercoms on other frequencies.

You mentioned Bluetooth, but that is something different. Bluetooth is a very short range digital data system at 2.4 GHz, but it is commonly used for voice links to earpieces and headsets.

Nick

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27

Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks
Jeanette
The wife and I have been riding our motorcycle for over eleven years and have never found the need to have voice communication. A prod, tap or whack at the appropriate time usually does the trick - ask the wife, she's very good at it :D

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Results of first trial outside

Hi, Thanks for everyone's help regarding a two-way radio. I ordered the one mentioned by Flecc, the Clarke model TR200, and also bought the headset and rechargeable batteries at the same time. I ordered on the Thursday evening and they arrived on the Monday morning - standard delivery !

We played with them around the house to begin with and I am delighted with the result there. They are clear and easy to use.

We went on a cycle to try them out at the weekend, however, whilst using the VOX system works, as was mentioned in this thread, the sound of the wind was rather annoying and made it hard to hear clearly sometimes. I discovered that if I cupped the microphone in my hand whilst talking, the wind was muffled and Richard could hear me clearer.

I intend to stitch mufflers to the microphones and have another ride out next weekend. I'll let you know how we get on. They certainly are good for the money and no doubt more expensive radios would possibly have some sort of noise cancelling function, but we did not want to spend too much on them.

It was good value for money buying the headset and rechargeable batteries as I would have had to buy 8 AAA batteries to even get started, at least this way I can recharge as necessary and have the headset.

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
The wife and I have been riding our motorcycle for over eleven years and have never found the need to have voice communication. A prod, tap or whack at the appropriate time usually does the trick - ask the wife, she's very good at it :D
I was thinking more or less the same thing. Does your husband know your planning for him to be within constant earshot? ;)

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
I guess if we had a tandem I could simply poke or wack if I wanted to get his attention !!

We love exploring roads we've never been down before and having this communication helps when he suddenly decides to change our route !

I'm sure, however, that should he get fed up with my chatter he will arrange for his headset to fall out of his ear !!!!! :( It proved useful the other day when we had set out, he usually cycles in front of me, and I had forgotten to put my bycicle clips on and needed to stop - he was off and away, around a bend, before he realised I was not behind him until I radioed to him that I was still at the bottom of the road !!

The weather down here in Cornwall is pretty miserable at present but we're hoping to go out again for a longer cycle on Sunday with our radios.

Regards
Jeanette

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Well I'm very pleased to report that covering the microphone part of the headset has cured the problem of wind noise and makes tranmissions much clearer. I'm very pleased with my purchase, thanks Flecc for suggesting this particular one.

Weather in Cornwall was beautiful today and as most were heading towards the seaside, we cycled inland enjoying the quiet country lanes and admiring the wonderfully clear views, the roads seemed to be deserted so we were able to cycle side by side for a lot of the journey !

Kind regards
Jeanette