Two-wheel drive in deep mud

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
We went for a ride in the country yesterday. A lapse in route-planning on my part meant we ended up having a couple of miles of bridleway to negotiate - with on-road bikes. Most of it was fine but there were a few rocky sections and some muddy bits. My wife didn't fancy some of the dirtier sections, so I ended up riding my bike (non-electric) through, walking back and taking her bike - which is our Marin with a Tongxin motor in the front wheel.

I used a small amount of throttle and pedalled through, and it was noticeably easier to get through the slippery mud on her bike with the additional contribution from the front wheel, than on mine. I've heard this cited before as an advantage of front wheel motors, but never experienced it until yesterday.

My preference is to stay on the road but I now feel that someone thinking of getting an electric bike to do a fair bit of off-road riding might be better served by a front than a rear motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fully agree Frank, bikes in general are very poor in thick mud, losing traction and clogging up very quickly, so doubling the wheel traction is a great help.

As well as a front motor, if there's going to be riding in very thick mud, it's one time that disc or hub brakes become the best options since V and caliper brakes can clog with mud and eventually lock the wheels.

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
Hi Frank, yes I can comfirm two wheel drive is very effective. I occasionally 'do' a local bridleway on my Torq and find the throttle/front wheel drive helps pull me through the low/muddy/waterlogged bits with confidence. I find if I can keep up some momentum the front 'pull' keeps the wheel straight and so far! I have not stalled/fell off! silversurfer

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
someone thinking of getting an electric bike to do a fair bit of off-road riding might be better served by a front than a rear motor.[/QUOTE

I definitely agree Frank, I've been amazed at the difference all wheel drive makes. I find that I can climb extremely steep and slippery hills (off-road) when my brain is telling me that there is no way it should be possible from a traction point of view. I think it's one of those things that you really have to experience before you can believe it.