Tyre blow out. Cause?

Sir_Bob

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2009
Maybe the brakes were rubbing thats what it looks like to me :) i had this before my tyre popped like this on my old raleigh and i went to halfords and complained it was not fit for purpose but they said my brakes had been rubbing :mad: there was bare thread bts just like in your photo and it looked the same :eek:

thx

Bob

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I did check that, they were fine. The bike as a whole was really well setup.

I did have to adjust the spokes on the rear wheel as they were pinking after a week but I get the impression that that is normal. (And yes the wheel was true after I had finished - Dial test indicators are handy little things :) .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This just happened to me as well. Rear tyre, sudden blowout. :(
Apart from the mechanical causes others have mentioned, tyre carcases do occasionally fail due to flaws in the fibres used. In these days of synthetic fibres this is fortunately very rare, but it used to be far more common in the past.

During the natural fibre days there was an episode in the 1950s when Dunlop decided to switch to Egyptian cotton for economic reasons, but it turned out to be a disastrous decision. Much of their production of tyres for all vehicle types started blowing out their tyre walls, the problem traced to the cotton. It transpired that the cotton species grown in Egypt was a short fibre type which had far less tensile strength when spun so was totally unsuitable.

Until then Dunlop had totally dominated the British market with the Avon Rubber Company as the main competitor and Michelin a small player. The widespread failures of the faulty tyres soon became common knowledge, and that together with the gap in Dunlop production let in all the competitive companies we know today. It's no exaggeration to say that Dunlop are still suffering the effects today, over half a century later. For example, in 1950 most bike tyres on sale and in use were Dunlop, but I've never seen Dunlop even mentioned in this forum, it's always Kenda, Maxxis, Schwalbe, Continental etc. The same is true with cars, all the focus seems to be on Bridgestone, Firestone, Michelin, Pirelli etc. Poor Dunlop, one attempt to save some money led to one of the biggest permanent losses of market position in corporate history.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
This just happened to me as well. Rear tyre, sudden blowout. :(
Was it a Kenda?

I still have the original Kenda on the front, after 500 miles and no problems. Except now i've tempted fate and it will probably give out on me :D